The Student Room Group

Multiple market structures in an industry?

Do any of you know if it's possible for 2 or more market structures to be prevalent in an industry e.g. take away pizza. Say the concentration looks something like this:
Pizza hut - 25%
Dominos - 20%
Papa John's - 20%

Pizza hut would be considered a legal monopoly and may have price setting power, but all 3 firms are likely to act as non collusive oligopolies. Furthermore, if the remaining 35% were small firms they may see their section of the market as having monopolistic competition.

So would this industry be considered a legal monopoly, an oligopoly, or a combination of monopoly, oligopoly and monopolistic competition?
Original post by oreo7373
Do any of you know if it's possible for 2 or more market structures to be prevalent in an industry e.g. take away pizza. Say the concentration looks something like this:
Pizza hut - 25%
Dominos - 20%
Papa John's - 20%

Pizza hut would be considered a legal monopoly and may have price setting power, but all 3 firms are likely to act as non collusive oligopolies. Furthermore, if the remaining 35% were small firms they may see their section of the market as having monopolistic competition.

So would this industry be considered a legal monopoly, an oligopoly, or a combination of monopoly, oligopoly and monopolistic competition?

Pizza hut would have monopoly power but this isn't a monopoly market. It would be an oligopoly because you have major firms and smaller firms. For it to be monopoly there has to be just one provider. I can understand what you're saying but I was always taught that monopoly power is 25% of the market share whereas a monopoly is taking over the entire market. Monopoly markets are theoretical I believe?
I can't think of an industry where multiple structures can be witnessed because although it may breach into two structures there will usually be one thing that sways it either way..... out of curiosity are you A2 and and AQA? Like are you trying to get ready for an exam on tuesday? Because if so I have never seen a question where they ask what structures are present in a micro exam maybe in a combined exam but never purely micro?

Quick Reply

Latest