The Student Room Group

What do u think of Courses at.....

Hey,

Can ne1 tell me what they thought about the Comp-Sci dept and courses at the following Uni's:

- Southhampton
- Warwick
- Imperial
- Bath
- Cambridge

I'd appreciate all of your advice and info about them!!
Has any one graduated from the Comp-Sci courses at the above Uni's, if so what did u think of it and how are your career prospects?

Thanks
Reply 1
They are all very different and yet all wonderfully impressive courses. I wouldn't think that any would have too much of a significant avantage over any other in terms of employment prosepects. If you search one or two of the forums you will find that members of this very forum attend Cambridge, IC and Warwick for comp sci.
Reply 2
Leekey
They are all very different and yet all wonderfully impressive courses. I wouldn't think that any would have too much of a ignificant avantage over any other in terms of employment prosepects. If you search one or two of the forums you will find that members of this very forum attend Cambridge, IC and Warwick for comp sci.

Agreed, they're all fantastic.

I'm probably biased to Cambridge as I live in there and enjoy the night life :wink:
I was impressed with southampton. Because I applied there, I went to have a look around. Although the Uni did seem a bit "Out of the Way" from everything else but nothing a bus ride wudnt fix i guess. I live near warwick uni and a few of my mates have applied to go there, one of which is doing an MEng in comp sci there and they all thought it was a fantastic uni with great facilities. I wouldnt know anything about the others though :biggrin:
Reply 4
Jazzy
Hey,

Can ne1 tell me what they thought about the Comp-Sci dept and courses at the following Uni's:

- Southhampton
- Warwick
- Imperial
- Bath
- Cambridge

I'd appreciate all of your advice and info about them!!
Has any one graduated from the Comp-Sci courses at the above Uni's, if so what did u think of it and how are your career prospects?

Thanks

I have some fairly random ramblings about being a compsci at cam available on the web: http://www.ajrn.co.uk/site/cam/compsci
I hope the career prospects are good! Apparently about half of people end up in technical jobs and the other end up in more consulting/banking types. I'm about to go into my third year and I can't think of anyone in my year who wanted a summer internship but couldn't find one. I expect it's going to be similar next year at graduation, but some wise old PhD students reckon that internships are actually harder to find than graduate jobs.

Cambridge has moree theory than most courses (but we do most of thhe sensible practical stuff too), you'd normally be expected to be highly capable at maths and probably physics too. I don't think they actually expect any programming experience the first 'tick' (a practical assignment) assumed only that you knew what the power button was. However, given I've been through them attempting to teach programming, you'd do a lot better (especially in Java) if you learn it throughly beforehand.

Alaric.

Latest

Trending

Trending