The Student Room Group

Alevel choices advice and imput? photography, philosophy or textiles

At my school you HAVE to choose four subjects. so far I have psychology and biology which is enough to get me onto a psychology uni course.

So for my other two options I want to choose something I know I'm good at/ interested in.

I'm a creative person so photography and textiles seem like good options but philosophy is really interesting (albeit hard) and I think more respected.

Does any one that has taken these subjects have any advice/ input on what you think would be a good move here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophie mac
At my school you HAVE to choose four subjects. so far I have psychology and biology which is enough to get me onto a psychology uni course.

So for my other two options I want to choose something I know I'm good at/ interested in.

I'm a creative person so photography and textiles seem like good options but philosophy is really interesting (albeit hard) and I think more respected.

Does any one that has taken these subjects have any advice/ input on what you think would be a good move here.

You should check with your chosen Unis. Photography and or Textiles will be considered weak academically and mainly for courses in their respective areas.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Sociology or History might be better options. Ar least for one of them.
@999tigger has it right, but also consider a foreign language! Philosophy may sound interesting, but actually look at the course content before you decide that because I didn't and I really dodged a bullet because everyone I know hates it. Also, you don't want to take more than one arts-y subject because they are seen as very similar and it will be a lot of work when it comes to coursework.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
You should check with your chosen Unis. Photography and or Textiles will be considered weak academically and mainly for courses in their respective areas.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Sociology or History might be better options. Ar least for one of them.

I did check and they said if I had one or two sciences it would be fine
I cant take history, maths, physics or chemistry
Do you think I should take philosophy
Reply 4
Original post by StevetheIcecube
@999tigger has it right, but also consider a foreign language! Philosophy may sound interesting, but actually look at the course content before you decide that because I didn't and I really dodged a bullet because everyone I know hates it. Also, you don't want to take more than one arts-y subject because they are seen as very similar and it will be a lot of work when it comes to coursework.

I can only carry on three subjects into A2 so if I did take two artsy ones i'd be dropping one however like you mentioned I was worried about coursework and they aren't as respected which is why I was thinking about philosophy but then again I've heard its really hard and mos people ive spoken to hate it too. so I don't know what to do
I did check and they said if I had one or two sciences it would be fine
I cant take history, maths, physics or chemistry
Do you think I should take philosophy

Did you mention to them if photography or textiles was fine as your third?
If your target universities said yes, then they are the ones who decide.
They will be viewed as non academic or much less so by some because they are.

Sociology was another mentioned, but I'd assume philosophy was ok.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr...
Although a lot of work, all of my friends who take philosophy enjoy it, I suggest checking the spec beforehand though.
I would also only recommend a language if you are willing to immerse yourself in it outside of lessons and have a genuine interest.

All of my friends that took languages hated it which is a big put off
I think the curriculum is:

Epistemology
And philosophy in religion which sounds interesting but I dont know what to expect
Philosophy complements your other choices for a psychology choice well; psychology originally grew out of the branch of "mental philosophy" and still has strong ties to the philosophy of mind and language. While the field on the whole currently continues to shift towards a more biological focus, having some background in philosophy will help contextualise this shift.

Photography or textiles are perfectly acceptable as a 4th A-level; I wouldn't recommend taking them both. Creative subjects tend to be more work than they appear to be on the surface however, so be sure to factor that in. Maths or chemistry would also be strong options as a fourth subject with psychology, philosophy, and biology with the latter significantly broadening your application choices and being a good basis if your interests run in the neurobiology direction. Alternately english language is a slightly more pedestrian option that is very relevant to further study in psychology, as linguistics is closely tied to the field of psychology (and as noted, philosophy).

As frequently noted on here, foreign languages tend to be a lot of work, and quite challenging in exams. If you aren't sure, that's generally a sign to opt for something else.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Did you mention to them if photography or textiles was fine as your third?
If your target universities said yes, then they are the ones who decide.
They will be viewed as non academic or much less so by some because they are.

Sociology was another mentioned, but I'd assume philosophy was ok.

Yes I mentioned textiles and photography so my third option won't really affect my ability to get into a university I just don't know what to choose
Yes I mentioned textiles and photography so my third option won't really affect my ability to get into a university I just don't know what to choose

To all of them or just one?

I thought you were going to do both?
Choose the one you enjoy the most and will get th best grade in.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
Philosophy complements your other choices for a psychology choice well; psychology originally grew out of the branch of "mental philosophy" and still has strong ties to the philosophy of mind and language. While the field on the whole currently continues to shift towards a more biological focus, having some background in philosophy will help contextualise this shift.

Photography or textiles are perfectly acceptable as a 4th A-level; I wouldn't recommend taking them both. Creative subjects tend to be more work than they appear to be on the surface however, so be sure to factor that in. Maths or chemistry would also be strong options as a fourth subject with psychology, philosophy, and biology with the latter significantly broadening your application choices and being a good basis if your interests run in the neurobiology direction. Alternately english language is a slightly more pedestrian option that is very relevant to further study in psychology, as linguistics is closely tied to the field of psychology (and as noted, philosophy).

As frequently noted on here, foreign languages tend to be a lot of work, and quite challenging in exams. If you aren't sure, that's generally a sign to opt for something else.

I do find philosophy really interesting and I know it compliments psychology but I've heard most people say its impossible which is quite off putting and I'm don't know how to decide between photography and textiles neither of them really go with psychology. I'm actually resetting this year because I'm dropping maths and chemistry (BECAUSE I HATE THEM) and continuing psychology and biology which is why I have to be sure about my choices this time. I got an A* in textiles last year if that helps
Reply 11
Original post by Mr...
If you have an affinity for languages then there is no harm in trying it but it is a lot of work and not just a subject you do to fill space.

If it sounds interesting to you then take it.:redface:

Its interesting but really hard and I can't afford to take the wrong thing
I only got a B in Spanish so its probably best I don't take it
Reply 12
To all of them or just one?

I thought you were going to do both?
Choose the one you enjoy the most and will get th best grade in.

I enjoy them both equally id probably do better in textiles than photography but people think textiles is stupid so I have no idea what I should do
They said yes to textiles Because I only thought id have to choose 3 subjects but id assume they'd think of them the same and they said as long as I have a science subject it doesn't matter
I do find philosophy really interesting and I know it compliments psychology but I've heard most people say its impossible which is quite off putting and I'm don't know how to decide between photography and textiles neither of them really go with psychology. I'm actually resetting this year because I'm dropping maths and chemistry (BECAUSE I HATE THEM) and continuing psychology and biology which is why I have to be sure about my choices this time. I got an A* in textiles last year if that helps

Hmm well, philosophy is a reasonable choice and it's not really worthwhile going by other peoples idea of difficulty; for every story about someone saying it's hard and boring, there will be on saying it's the best thing they ever did and they're going to become a philosopher because of it (ok maybe not quite but you get the idea).

Also bear in mind people tend to be much more vocal in their criticisms and complaints, as well as their negative experiences of things, than the reverse. So seeing more negative than positive doesn't really tell you much. if you see a lot of positive then that usually is telling, but the reverse isn't true.

As for Textiles vs Photography it depends on which media you're interested in exploring. From what you've said though, it doesn't sound like this interests you too much anyway; most students probably have a fairly clear idea of the media they like/will like to work in and if you aren't very creatively motivated you may find it challenging for that reason alone on these courses.

Have you considered taking something else in place of these two, such as economics, or english language, both of which are relevant to psychology in different ways?

I'm somewhat confused about what you were studying previously; were you doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology AND Textiles? Unis only require 3 A-levels, and many/most will only consider the three highest and just require a pass in any additional ones. If you've already done the first year of the latter three, why not just continue with those three and don't pick up any additional ones for no reason?
Reply 14
Original post by Mr...
No A-Level subject isn't difficult ao the fact that it's hard wouldn't be a totally valid reason not to do it assuming you're capable

Yes but people tend to do better in the things they enjoy and find interesting which is why id like to chose from photography, textiles and philosophy but I'm have to make the right decision
I enjoy them both equally id probably do better in textiles than photography but people think textiles is stupid so I have no idea what I should do
They said yes to textiles Because I only thought id have to choose 3 subjects but id assume they'd think of them the same and they said as long as I have a science subject it doesn't matter

All unis will not have the same view, but ive pointed this out to you several times.

Do the one you will get the best grade in or enjoy the most or both of them.
Reply 16
Hmm well, philosophy is a reasonable choice and it's not really worthwhile going by other peoples idea of difficulty; for every story about someone saying it's hard and boring, there will be on saying it's the best thing they ever did and they're going to become a philosopher because of it (ok maybe not quite but you get the idea).

Also bear in mind people tend to be much more vocal in their criticisms and complaints, as well as their negative experiences of things, than the reverse. So seeing more negative than positive doesn't really tell you much. if you see a lot of positive then that usually is telling, but the reverse isn't true.

As for Textiles vs Photography it depends on which media you're interested in exploring. From what you've said though, it doesn't sound like this interests you too much anyway; most students probably have a fairly clear idea of the media they like/will like to work in and if you aren't very creatively motivated you may find it challenging for that reason alone on these courses.

Have you considered taking something else in place of these two, such as economics, or english language, both of which are relevant to psychology in different ways?

I'm somewhat confused about what you were studying previously; were you doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology AND Textiles? Unis only require 3 A-levels, and many/most will only consider the three highest and just require a pass in any additional ones. If you've already done the first year of the latter three, why not just continue with those three and don't pick up any additional ones for no reason?

Sorry to be confusing last year to me is GCSE I'm still doing my AS levels atom. I got and A* in textiles GCSE and I'm taking maths, biology, psychology and chemistry now

I want to make sure I choose the things I enjoy this time around which is why I'm chossing from philosophy, textiles and photography because people tend to do well in the things they enjoy (and will work hard at) and not the things they despise (I despise maths and chemistry)
Reply 17

I'm interested in making portfolios, designing, and explaining the deeper meaning to artists work and pieces etc all the things I'm interested in comes under photography and textiles but more so under textiles however I feel like textiles is the least respected of all my choices
Sorry to be confusing last year to me is GCSE I'm still doing my AS levels atom. I got and A* in textiles GCSE and I'm taking maths, biology, psychology and chemistry now

I want to make sure I choose the things I enjoy this time around which is why I'm chossing from philosophy, textiles and photography because people tend to do well in the things they enjoy (and will work hard at) and not the things they despise (I despise maths and chemistry)

I see, well if you're taking an A-level in a year alongside psychology/biology second year A-level material, I'd suggest just taking one, not two, and of those philosophy is the most relevant to your further study. I would ask your college about doing this rather than "retaking" the first year of biology and psychology, which will be viewed unfavourably by some universities, and is realistically a waste of your time.

Philosophy isn't a linear knowledgebase, and you can start learning about any of the various subfields (or historical periods in philosophy) simultaneously; provided you're confident in your essay writing skills it you should be ok, although you'll definitely have to hit the ground running.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr...
I was talking about taking philosophy btw.
At the end of the day it really does depend on what you think you will do best in and how it affects your university applications, :goodluck:

Oh right thanks for your advice I think ill definitely take philosophy as one option
Hopefully ill figure out the other one at some point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest