The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economic history or Economics

So I'm in a pretty sticky situation. Essentially at GCSE I wanted to do medicine. So I picked biology and chemistry at A level. Unfortunately after some work experience and talking to a few people I realised it's really not for me. I know want to do economic's related stuff as it really interests me. Unfortunately again however i didn't pick maths as I didn't know I wanted to do economics until some deep thought. I'm currently doing A levels biology chemistry business and economics and I'm predicted A*A*A*A ( A being chemistry) I meet the entry requirements for economic history but not economics. So I was wondering if it is possible to do A level maths in 1st year and essentially switch over to either the Joint economics and economic history degree or just econmics. Economic history and economics both seem interesting I'm just worried about job prospects and I've read some articles stating "no one needs economic historians" etc. I didn't pick maths a level because I got a B at gcse. It was my weakestate subject at gcse.

Scroll to see replies

A-Level maths in the first year of university? That would probably be an awful lot of work (cramming a two year course and 6 exams into one year), on top of uni work. I'd probably speak to the uni directly about this.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Yagamilight787
So I'm in a pretty sticky situation. Essentially at GCSE I wanted to do medicine. So I picked biology and chemistry at A level. Unfortunately after some work experience and talking to a few people I realised it's really not for me. I know want to do economic's related stuff as it really interests me. Unfortunately again however i didn't pick maths as I didn't know I wanted to do economics until some deep thought. I'm currently doing A levels biology chemistry business and economics and I'm predicted A*A*A*A ( A being chemistry) I meet the entry requirements for economic history but not economics. So I was wondering if it is possible to do A level maths in 1st year and essentially switch over to either the Joint economics and economic history degree or just econmics. Economic history and economics both seem interesting I'm just worried about job prospects and I've read some articles stating "no one needs economic historians" etc. I didn't pick maths a level because I got a B at gcse. It was my weakestate subject at gcse.

I don't think that's possible tbh. Economics at LSE is extremely competitive and people usually also have further maths, i dont think you can switch given how weak you are at maths.

Also business and economics is an undesirable combination that will put you at a disadvantage.

You really haven thought this through .
Original post by ghibli2
I don't think that's possible tbh. Economics at LSE is extremely competitive and people usually also have further maths, i dont think you can switch given how weak you are at maths.

Also business and economics is an undesirable combination that will put you at a disadvantage.

You really haven thought this through .

You only need 2 of their preffeed subjects and 1 essay based subject for economic history at LSE so I could still get into that though right ? Considering economics is considered essay based by the university ?
I would start looking at Universities that don't require A-level maths for example Birmingham
Reply 5
You only need 2 of their preffeed subjects and 1 essay based subject for economic history at LSE so I could still get into that though right ? Considering economics is considered essay based by the university ?

For that course, the applicant to offer rate is 7 to 1. What you do is meet the minimum requirements, however you're not going to be a very competitive applicant imo with that subject combo. What did you get in gCSEs?
Original post by ghibli2
For that course, the applicant to offer rate is 7 to 1. What you do is meet the minimum requirements, however you're not going to be a very competitive applicant imo with that subject combo. What did you get in gCSEs?

Yeah lol didn't really want to mention my GCSEs they weren't really a good time from me because I was caught up in the wrong friend group kind of. Although because my parents were still strict I still ended up with 6As 5Bs. I'm fully aware I'm underaverage in terms of GCSES and I regret it everyday. So I basically decided to go ham at A levels and just get lots of work experience and I'm doing an EPQ as well. I'm still in year 12 BTW so should I just take maths as well to balance it out ??? That would mean 5 A levels btw. If you think it's achieveable / know anyone that did 5 I could consider it. Because of my past so to speak my work ethic is pretty high now as I feel the nred to compensate. I can comfortably do 6 hours studying on top of school if that's what it takes. If I was to do maths id start it over the summer holidays and just take the exams in June essentially
Economic History is an entirely different subject to Economics at LSE. It's not the combination of economics and history, it's a specific branch of history considering economic changes and growth in historical eras (frequently in the industrial revolution).

Furthermore as noted previously, Economics at LSE, as well as extremely competitive to get into, is very technical once you're there. They will expect complete mathematical fluency in applying even fairly abstract elements of mathematics (for example some of the fundamental concepts of real analysis as well as abstract linear algebra) to economic theory and applications.

You can't transfer from Economic History into any of the joint courses as all require MA100 Mathematical Methods to be completed in first year, which requires A-level Mathematics, and all but one (Economic History with Economics being the exception) requiring ST102 Elementary Statistical Theory to be taken in the first year, which also requires A-level mathematics. This is not a tick box exercise, as the second year economics modules, as noted, are highly technical and expect complete fluency with the concepts of these modules.

I would suggest perhaps considering taking an additional year 14 and doing A-level Maths and AS (or A-level, if you're extremely dedicated and mathematically talented) Further Maths rather than trying to "backdoor" into some other course from one you're not particularly interested in...
Reply 8
Yeah lol didn't really want to mention my GCSEs they weren't really a good time from me because I was caught up in the wrong friend group kind of. Although because my parents were still strict I still ended up with 6As 5Bs. I'm fully aware I'm underaverage in terms of GCSES and I regret it everyday. So I basically decided to go ham at A levels and just get lots of work experience and I'm doing an EPQ as well. I'm still in year 12 BTW so should I just take maths as well to balance it out ??? That would mean 5 A levels btw. If you think it's achieveable / know anyone that did 5 I could consider it. Because of my past so to speak my work ethic is pretty high now as I feel the nred to compensate. I can comfortably do 6 hours studying on top of school if that's what it takes. If I was to do maths id start it over the summer holidays and just take the exams in June essentially

Im in your year too bro I can understand what you're saying.

LSE is just crazy competitive, I say this because I have an older cousin who now does LSE law and hes crazy smart and put a lot of time into it and stuff.

Maths is new spec next year and i dont really know how it works. You should talk to a teacher with regards to that. All I know is that you just need to be careful with applying with business and economics.

If I were you, i'd probably do maths a level for two years and take a gap year then apply to uni.
Original post by ghibli2
Im in your year too bro I can understand what you're saying.

LSE is just crazy competitive, I say this because I have an older cousin who now does LSE law and hes crazy smart and put a lot of time into it and stuff.

Maths is new spec next year and i dont really know how it works. You should talk to a teacher with regards to that. All I know is that you just need to be careful with applying with business and economics.

If I were you, i'd probably do maths a level for two years and take a gap year then apply to uni.

Yeah thanks man. Although I know there's an A level called ' business economics ' I'm doing both A levels separately. So I'm doing 4 not 3 if that caused any confusion. BTW what a levels you doing and what course you wanna do at LSE ??
Reply 10
Yeah thanks man. Although I know there's an A level called ' business economics ' I'm doing both A levels separately. So I'm doing 4 not 3 if that caused any confusion. BTW what a levels you doing and what course you wanna do at LSE ??

Yes no i get that. I still think you should apply ofc and make a strong personal statement but then doing A level maths seems more beneficial to you too since thats the sort of career path you're looking at.

Im doing maths further maths economics and physics, im hoping to apply to Maths and Economics or Financial maths and statistics, well at least that's the plan right now!
Original post by artful_lounger
Economic History is an entirely different subject to Economics at LSE. It's not the combination of economics and history, it's a specific branch of history considering economic changes and growth in historical eras (frequently in the industrial revolution).

Furthermore as noted previously, Economics at LSE, as well as extremely competitive to get into, is very technical once you're there. They will expect complete mathematical fluency in applying even fairly abstract elements of mathematics (for example some of the fundamental concepts of real analysis as well as abstract linear algebra) to economic theory and applications.

You can't transfer from Economic History into any of the joint courses as all require MA100 Mathematical Methods to be completed in first year, which requires A-level Mathematics, and all but one (Economic History with Economics being the exception) requiring ST102 Elementary Statistical Theory to be taken in the first year, which also requires A-level mathematics. This is not a tick box exercise, as the second year economics modules, as noted, are highly technical and expect complete fluency with the concepts of these modules.

I would suggest perhaps considering taking an additional year 14 and doing A-level Maths and AS (or A-level, if you're extremely dedicated and mathematically talented) Further Maths rather than trying to "backdoor" into some other course from one you're not particularly interested in...

Hi thanks for the response. It's provided me with some good insight. However I was wondering what are the job prospects for an ecomnomic history degree. Can you go into finance from here etc. Or do you think just the nature of the institution(LSE) would be good enough to garuntee me a good job.
Original post by Movementmoments
Economic History offer holder here. Happy to answer any questions about my personal experience with the application process. (everyone seems to love anecdotal evidence on this forum :smile: )

How are you able to do Business and Economics A levels separately? When I was signing up for my econ exams (private candidate), my exams officer kept making sure I wasn't doing business A level as apparently you're not allowed to do both at the same time?

HI thanks for your willingness to help. By that I just meant I do an A level in business studies and an A level in economics also. I still do biology A level and chemistry A level as well
HI thanks for your willingness to help. By that I just meant I do an A level in business studies and an A level in economics also. I still do biology A level and chemistry A level as well

And you're able to do both?

As someone said above, Business studies is soft subject so you probably want to drop that after AS
Original post by ghibli2
Yes no i get that. I still think you should apply ofc and make a strong personal statement but then doing A level maths seems more beneficial to you too since thats the sort of career path you're looking at.

Im doing maths further maths economics and physics, im hoping to apply to Maths and Economics or Financial maths and statistics, well at least that's the plan right now!

Nice man I hope you get an offer. I was just so adoment on medicine which inevitably led to closing many doors. But in hindsight I would of done Maths chemistry economics and history/geography.
Reply 15
Nice man I hope you get an offer. I was just so adoment on medicine which inevitably led to closing many doors. But in hindsight I would of done Maths chemistry economics and history/geography.

Thanks, you too.

I mean you can ofc restart a levels if you want, rather than going through all this trouble
Original post by Movementmoments
And you're able to do both?

As someone said above, Business studies is soft subject so you probably want to drop that after AS

Yeah I am able to do both lol. My school doesn't seem to have anything against it. Yeah I should. Probably drop it. But I'm just really wanting to do maths now. But not sure If I can learn c1 c2 over summer holidays( with a tutor) and then essentially learn c3 c4 with my school. Which would mean im doing 4 A levels maths chem bio economics
Yeah I am able to do both lol. My school doesn't seem to have anything against it. Yeah I should. Probably drop it. But I'm just really wanting to do maths now. But not sure If I can learn c1 c2 over summer holidays( with a tutor) and then essentially learn c3 c4 with my school. Which would mean im doing 4 A levels maths chem bio economics

4 A levels isn't too bad. You'd need to learn two additional maths modules as well, such as S1 and M1.

I'd say go for it but don't get your hopes up too high, LSE have to turn down many amazing applicants every year so make sure you have back up options you're happy with.

Good Luck!

also LSE love AS grades so make you do well in the ones coming up
You often aren't allowed to do A-levels in one year as you may be doing modules that require first year knowledge, however since maths isn't linear yet hopefully you should be able to, but you need to ask first.
Doing an a-level at the same time as a degree seems like a lot of work though, I'm not sure if you could get away with it.
Also, are you sure the first year of economics and economic history is the same because you might miss out on stuff and/or not be allowed to switch over.
If you go to a competitive university they might not have a place for you on the economics course as you could be competing with people who have done further maths.
If economics is something you really want to do I'd try and take a year out. See if there's anywhere you could take maths as a private candidate and teach yourself/ hire a private tutor- that way you could have a job/ apprenticeship at the same time (without having lessons spread over the whole week) and earn some money/ experience for uni.
Original post by ghibli2
Thanks, you too.

I mean you can ofc restart a levels if you want, rather than going through all this trouble

True but i wold just rather do a crap tonne of work for a year and get the 4 relevant a levels. Maybe even 10 hour study days everyday hahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending