Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS-level choices... what have you choosen? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I expect those who sat GCSEs this year are getting quite anxious now about the results on Thursday; I know that I am as the week goes on.

I was just wondering what AS-levels you had decided to take next year, and your reasons for doing so. Does anybody think that grades at GCSE should reflect what subjects you go for?

I've choosen to do English Literature and History (both for definate), and I have also choosen French and Drama. I really can't decide if the last two are for me... how shall I decide? The sixth form consortium I am attending gives you two weeks to change your mind, so I suppose that will be useful.

Thanks for any advice...

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trundle)
    Hello!
    I expect those who sat GCSEs this year are getting quite anxious now about the results on Thursday; I know that I am as the week goes on.

I was just wondering what AS-levels you had decided to take next year, and your reasons for doing so. Does anybody think that grades at GCSE should reflect what subjects you go for?

I've choosen to do English Literature and History (both for definate), and I have also choosen French and Drama. I really can't decide if the last two are for me... how shall I decide? The sixth form consortium I am attending gives you two weeks to change your mind, so I suppose that will be useful.

Thanks for any advice...

Ben
    ive just finished a levels in both french and drama and they are both hard work, it depends how much you enjoy the subject, i really enjoyed drama so when the work was difficult i saw it as an enjoyable challenge...but french was awful! the gap from gsce to as level is enormous as your teachers may have told you..but if u enjoy it go for it but in my opinion it is very very difficult. but like i said, it all depends on what u enjoy. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Only 2 days to go!!!!!!

Ive chosen to do: English Lang & Lit
    Information Technology
    Psycology
    Sociology

Im thinking of changing the Sociology to Law (i dunno why)

I think you should choose the subjects that you would enjoy, rather than doing something because youre good at it (theres no point if your not gonna enjoy it)

BUT your GCSE grades do have a say in what subjects you choose to take as you need a good grade at GCSE in the subject you want to take at AS.....

ReputationRep:
    2 days - not good!!

Next year, i'm down for Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Music.

People keep telling me I'm stupid for some reason

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Maths and Physics? Crikey! I did Music GCSE after school in Yr 10 and got a Grade C in it - I hated it! lol

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Im taking

History
    Religious Studies
    Sociology
    Film Studies

I was gonna take an English instead of Film but I realised I was going to be doing to many essay subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Maths and Physics? Crikey! I did Music GCSE after school in Yr 10 and got a Grade C in it - I hated it! lol

Ben
    lol that's pretty much what people have been saying! i did music gcse too, results on thurs

ReputationRep:

Ben
    I also did GCSE music but I didn't hate it,I really enjoyed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissShine)
    I also did GCSE music but I didn't hate it,I really enjoyed it.
    Yeah I enjoyed it too, hence carrying on to A Level

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I mean to be fair I did it in a year and the whole course was just so rushed and the theory was just given out in sheets to go away and learn at home. My coursework was good with probably brought up my exam grade. We did Edexcel, the new course or something. I am sure if you enjoyed it and worked hard you will do great

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I did Edexcel, and my coursework was OK so hopefully if i messed the exam up it'll push everything up I can imagine it wouldn't b quite so much fun if done in a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    Yeah I enjoyed it too, hence carrying on to A Level
    I've decided not to take it on to A level,besides the college im going to wants students taking music at A level to be at grade 5 on an instrument and have grade 5 theory.Im only at grade 3 on the keyboard and grade 3 theory.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I mean to be fair I did it in a year and the whole course was just so rushed and the theory was just given out in sheets to go away and learn at home. My coursework was good with probably brought up my exam grade. We did Edexcel, the new course or something. I am sure if you enjoyed it and worked hard you will do great

Ben
    I also did Edexcel,I think the practicals went alright for me and the compositions went alright.Though Im not sure of how well i've done in the listening exam.

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen...

Double Maths (Maths + F. Maths)
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Philosophy

Looks like I'm doing very different subjects to a lot of you other people!

I chose the first 3 because they're useful and important to my planned career (engineering) and I'm good at them. The fourth I have an interest in and I wanted an essay-based subject to balance out my subjects a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissShine)
    I also did Edexcel,I think the practicals went alright for me and the compositions went alright.Though Im not sure of how well i've done in the listening exam.
    Yeah some of it was OK but there were a few "unusual" bits I thought too long ago to remember though and all will become clear!

ReputationRep:
    Chem
    Bio
    Physics
    Maths

and maybe further maths

ReputationRep:
    Ive chosen

ICT
    Biology
    Geography
    Chemistry (but mite change it to Irish or Re since i got better grades on these papers thn chem)

ReputationRep:
    im have chosen :

Maths
    History
    Economics
    Further Maths/Physics/French/Eng lit....me cant decide!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am planning to study Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Law and English Literature at AS level, starting in September! However, this does all depend on the outcome of results day.......
    Is anyone else panicking at the thought of their GCSE Maths grade??

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ive chosen to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Lit, purely because they are the only subjects which I can half stand. It wasnt a difficult choice for me

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.