The Student Room Group

Keep failing my driving test

So far I've failed my driving test twice. I get told time and time again I'm a good driver but get still can't see to pass, it's always serious faults that bring me down.

However, it's not the mistakes I made that made me fail that makes me feel bad; I'm capable of recognising them, building on them and learning not to make them again. What does make me feel bad is seeing a large proportion of my sixth form year flaunting their pass certificates on social media, a lot with the caption of something like "passed first time!". By all means be proud of passing, but it makes me feel so embarrassed... seeing everyone else pass around me while I'm still struggling to. I've seen people younger than me and not driving for as long as me who pass within a shorter time period than me- it's so frustrating; it makes me feel incapable and inferior and that I should be ashamed of my abilities.

Should I feel this self conscious or embarrassed about this sort of thing? I know it's not a race or anything, but I feel like people will judge me if they knew I was one of few who has yet to pass and is finding it difficult to. I also feel like I'm letting other people down as well as myself- I'm fed up with always having an instructor or examiner next to me. Does anyone else feel how I feel?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty" - Winston Churchill
Original post by amelia_jasinski
So far I've failed my driving test twice. I get told time and time again I'm a good driver but get still can't see to pass, it's always serious faults that bring me down.

However, it's not the mistakes I made that made me fail that makes me feel bad; I'm capable of recognising them, building on them and learning not to make them again. What does make me feel bad is seeing a large proportion of my sixth form year flaunting their pass certificates on social media, a lot with the caption of something like "passed first time!". By all means be proud of passing, but it makes me feel so embarrassed... seeing everyone else pass around me while I'm still struggling to. I've seen people younger than me and not driving for as long as me who pass within a shorter time period than me- it's so frustrating; it makes me feel incapable and inferior and that I should be ashamed of my abilities.

Should I feel this self conscious or embarrassed about this sort of thing? I know it's not a race or anything, but I feel like people will judge me if they knew I was one of few who has yet to pass and is finding it difficult to. I also feel like I'm letting other people down as well as myself- I'm fed up with always having an instructor or examiner next to me. Does anyone else feel how I feel?

I felt the same way. I honestly thought I would never pass and that I was wasting my money, but you have to keep going. No one can do it for you. Like you, I also failed twice and was on the verge of giving up. On my third test, the examiner introduced himself and then he said that a chief examiner would be accompanying us on my test. At that point, I thought "oh great, more of an audience, now I'm definitely going to fail". Feeling deflated, I accepted my fate and just drove the car without overthinking as I did on my previous two tests. Time went pretty fast, got back to the test centre and he told me that I passed. I could've kissed him, I could not believe it.
My advice would be to listen to your instructor. Practice everything you struggle with, and keep working at it until you're confident with it. Mock tests didn't help me, but you could ask for one if you feel it'll help.
You will pass eventually, trust me. If I can pass, anyone can. I know it's easier said that done but try not to compare yourself to others. There's always that person who claims to have passed with 10 hours of lessons, forgetting to mention that they've also had loads of driving in
their parents car. I had about 50 hours with no private practice, which I think is probably above the 'norm' but who cares?! Once you've passed, no one cares, as you'll be no less qualified that someone who's had say 30 hours of lessons.

Don't give up! You will pass.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
You shouldn't be ashamed, you've only tried twice. So you didn't get it yet, so what? Stop looking at other people, they don't matter and they may have got lucky that time. When you do pass, you may be much better than them since you've put more time into it. And just because they have succeeded at that one thing doesn't mean you don't surpass them in something else. So stop comparing, work on getting there, and feel proud that you're not giving up.
(video I recommend that you should watch when you get discouraged :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofo2lv9-nVY)
Reply 4
I passed 3rd time at 19 in an automatic car because i couldn't grasp manual driving. I was the same, perfectly good driving but in tests id make stupid mistakes. Just dont give up, eventual it will happen for you. Just because you havent done it first time doesnt mean anything. Once you pass, you wont think about that, you'll have your licence and it'll never be mentioned again unless you bring it up :smile:

You got this!
I get told I'm thick and dopy in everyday life yet passed my driving test first time.
I'm the same! I've failed twice already . And there's people nearly 2 years younger than me passing ! It's so frustrating because I can drive fine I just panic in tests.

When I do eventually pass.... I'll be a really good driver. It's such a dangerous thing so it's better to be fully ready than to pass just cause of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending