Revision guides for a level bio and chem

Watch
mariah1242
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really want to buy a revision guide for Biology and Chemistry. I just want to know do you guys think this is a good idea or is it better just to stick with class notes?
And if you do think revision guides are a good idea which ones did you get?
I preferably want one that include key definition too.

I am doing Biology and Chemistry OCR A for both and I'm doing the new spec as well.
Thank you
Sloppyjoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you GCSE or A level?
mariah1242
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sloppyjoe)
Are you GCSE or A level?
A-Level (sorry for not including that)
Sloppyjoe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would not use the biology textbook, I take AQA and their book is waffle and crap. I'd use google research for in-depth knowledge, it really pays off to go and explore around the subject area.
Chemistry; since it being a more maths based science you should use your own notes and google. Lots of past papers are a great tool for revision. I learned that the papers do not care about your knowledge but rather the way you approach certain questions. Just learn the "phrases/ key terms" that award marks. e.g. in biology - "enzyme-substrate complex". Look at mark schemes too! Look how little they write in them but they give you so much space in the exam papers. If it's 3 marks it, it is worth 3 sentences.
I have bought the CGP revision guides... they are just for revision and do not cover all the spec. I have my class notes which are excellent. I make posters for every topic and do past papers.

Hope this helps!
cricket909090
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
use snap revise, absolute god send
mariah1242
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sloppyjoe)
I would not use the biology textbook, I take AQA and their book is waffle and crap. I'd use google research for in-depth knowledge, it really pays off to go and explore around the subject area.
Chemistry; since it being a more maths based science you should use your own notes and google. Lots of past papers are a great tool for revision. I learned that the papers do not care about your knowledge but rather the way you approach certain questions. Just learn the "phrases/ key terms" that award marks. e.g. in biology - "enzyme-substrate complex". Look at mark schemes too! Look how little they write in them but they give you so much space in the exam papers. If it's 3 marks it, it is worth 3 sentences.
I have bought the CGP revision guides... they are just for revision and do not cover all the spec. I have my class notes which are excellent. I make posters for every topic and do past papers.

Hope this helps!
thank you so much my teacher legit said the same things as you. That the cgp books are good to just go over they're not in depth.
mariah1242
Rep:
?
(Original post by cricket909090)
use snap revise, absolute god send
will definitely try that out!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.09%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.18%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.18%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.91%

Watched Threads