Dealing with self harm scars Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

so i'm currently 20 and when i was 14/15 i self harmed pretty badly. the only place i really did it was on my left arm and 5 years later i am left with hundreds of white scars (a lot of them are quite raised) on my forearm. i am perfectly fine now but i just hate them so much it affects my every day life. i dread summer because i know i'll be wearing short sleeves and i even cover up when i'm alone just because i can't even bear to look at them. i'm at a loss of what to do, i've looked up treatments but i can't find that much info. surgery seems risky as they can grow back larger and laser treatment only gets rid of redness. i heard you can get steroid injections but again it's risky and it won't get rid of them. guess i'm just looking for advice, maybe from others who are in my situation?
Gazmoop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im exactly the same, i turn 20 next week and i stopped harming at 16, covered in scars. Ive managed to come to terms with my arms now, and i tattooed over the worst of them on my legs. Of course, tattooing over both arms isnt really an easy answer.

If you really want to find a way to get rid of them, theres oils (Bio Oil is good) and creams that are supposed to help, or you could see your GP and ask about options. Before you decide though, maybe try and talk to someone and come to terms with it first.
When i got my leg tattoo i was weirdly emotional about getting rid of them so only ended up covering some of them.

But yes, its a very personal thing, but definitely speak to a professional about your options for the types of scars you have.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not the end of the world to try and accept them. Around age 20 I also looked into ways of getting rid of my scars and if I found something that was viable I'dd probably do it, but I've also learned to accept my scars. I don't worry about wearing short sleeves or shorts and just get on with it. Sometimes you get funny looks or see people stare but generally people are better about it than you'd think. It gets easier the more you do it.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can get camouflage make up, I think it's quite expensive but some gps have a referral service I think. This would help the aethetics.

But I agree with others, maybe try to come to terms with them, it's a part of your life. It's like keeping photos of and old boyfriend, or somethibg, reminds you how far you've come, what you e learnt, and how strong you are now.

A lot of people go through this, just remember you're not alone.
~Tara~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bio oil is pretty awesome. I self harmed daily as a teen into adulthood & you can barely see the majority of scars. In fact, unless someone stares at my arm, they aren't noticed by others. I know where the scars are but others don't see them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads