Please click here if your doing a level chemistry i need your help

Watch
pineappleexpres
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How is an atom the smallest particle of an element that can exist??/// what about electrons and quarks
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pineappleexpres)
How is an atom the smallest particle of an element that can exist??/// what about electrons and quarks

The real key here is "of an element".

The smallest particle of an element is an atom. Although there are definitely smaller particles than atoms, when you get smaller than a single atom, you no longer have a particle of a particular element--you have particles that are independent of the element into which the atom is formed (e.g., one proton is pretty much the same as another, even if one happens to be part of a hydrogen atom and the other part of Plutonium atom). The same remains true of we descend through the layers to even more elementary particles--they're no longer particles of elements, just particles of sub-particles (...) of things that make up atoms--which are still the smallest particles that are really "of an element".
pineappleexpres
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
The real key here is "of an element".

The smallest particle of an element is an atom. Although there are definitely smaller particles than atoms, when you get smaller than a single atom, you no longer have a particle of a particular element--you have particles that are independent of the element into which the atom is formed (e.g., one proton is pretty much the same as another, even if one happens to be part of a hydrogen atom and the other part of Plutonium atom). The same remains true of we descend through the layers to even more elementary particles--they're no longer particles of elements, just particles of sub-particles (...) of things that make up atoms--which are still the smallest particles that are really "of an element".
thank you so much i really appreciate ya really may God increase in knowledge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads