The Student Room Group

S1 Solomon Paper D Help.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/S1/Papers-Solomon/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20D%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

Part 6 a)

I've got the correct method but not the right answer because for some reason they got a Z value of -0.67 from the probability of 0.75 and I don't particularly understand why. The rest of my working is correct it's just this one section that's thrown me off.

[I also had trouble with question 5 c) but that is mainly because I don't understand why they've added the probabilities, i'm probably gonna look at it later though.]

Thanks!
Original post by RobertTaylorUK
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/S1/Papers-Solomon/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20D%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

Part 6 a)

I've got the correct method but not the right answer because for some reason they got a Z value of -0.67 from the probability of 0.75 and I don't particularly understand why. The rest of my working is correct it's just this one section that's thrown me off.

[I also had trouble with question 5 c) but that is mainly because I don't understand why they've added the probabilities, i'm probably gonna look at it later though.]

Thanks!

The z values for diameters below the mean are negative, and for diameters above the mean it is positive. Since P(D>2)=0.75P(D>2)=0.75 and 2 is below the mean, its z value will be negative.
Original post by RDKGames
The z values for diameters below the mean are negative, and for diameters above the mean it is positive. Since P(D>2)=0.75P(D>2)=0.75 and 2 is below the mean, its z value will be negative.

Thanks but I understand why it's negative, it's just where the 0.67 comes from, it doesn't make sense when looking at the tables as I can't seem to find anywhere where the value of 0.75 for probability can result with a 0.67.

:s
Original post by RobertTaylorUK
Thanks but I understand why it's negative, it's just where the 0.67 comes from, it doesn't make sense when looking at the tables as I can't seem to find anywhere where the value of 0.75 for probability can result with a 0.67.

:s

Well I don't know what tables you are looking at, but from AQA's formula booklet it gives the required result.

Original post by RDKGames
AQA's formula booklet

Ohhhhh! Using AQA's formula booklet, it seems to make sense, using Edexcels is where I was struggling.

I guess the question comes from AQA then.

Thanks, yeah it makes sense using that table of values.

Edexcels is less exact by the looks.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest