Can you leave a subject off your ucas university application?

Watch this thread
___Sophie___
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello

Will be applying to university in a few months to study languages. I have just finished my highers and I am predicting 3 very high A's (95%-100%) in French, German and Spanish like I got in my prelims (I'm not being arrogant)

However the problem is my other subjects haven't went well. Predicting a C at best in maths which was the only subject I actually studied for and I'm predicting an A or B in English cause I spent so much time on maths.

So what I'm wondering is if I got AAABC for example... Could I leave the maths grade C off my ucas application? So it would just say AAAB.

And my advanced highers will be AAA in the 3 languages (sounds very arrogant that I'm predicting that but I don't see it going any other way)

It would be unbelievably unfair if someone who is so gifted at languages would be unable to get into top universities cause of a maths result!

I'm looking at universities like Durham, Warwick, UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh. The English universities are more bothered about my advanced highers rather than my highers so I probably have a better chance with them? I wanted to apply to Cambridge but I guess that's out of the picture now...
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ___Sophie___)
Hello

Will be applying to university in a few months to study languages. I have just finished my highers and I am predicting 3 very high A's (95%-100%) in French, German and Spanish like I got in my prelims (I'm not being arrogant)

However the problem is my other subjects haven't went well. Predicting a C at best in maths which was the only subject I actually studied for and I'm predicting an A or B in English cause I spent so much time on maths.

So what I'm wondering is if I got AAABC for example... Could I leave the maths grade C off my ucas application? So it would just say AAAB.

And my advanced highers will be AAA in the 3 languages (sounds very arrogant that I'm predicting that but I don't see it going any other way)

It would be unbelievably unfair if someone who is so gifted at languages would be unable to get into top universities cause of a maths result!

I'm looking at universities like Durham, Warwick, UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh. The English universities are more bothered about my advanced highers rather than my highers so I probably have a better chance with them? I wanted to apply to Cambridge but I guess that's out of the picture now...
Cambridge is not out of the picture, should still be ok if you are studying languages.

You can't not include the C grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ferm4t
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The C will still help, it increases you UCAS points or whatever they're called
___Sophie___
Rep:
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
Cambridge is not out of the picture, should still be ok if you are studying languages.

You can't not include the C grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're not the first person who has told me that Cambridge is still possible.
But almost all Scottish applicants have 5 A's at higher and 3 A's at advanced.
I'll have AAABC and 3 A's at advanced. It angers me so much because I do so well in the languages (in my prelims i got 99% in French and spanish and 96% in german, like I said I'll get around the same in the real exams) and studying 3 languages is very very rare... And a A/B in english & C in maths surely gives me no chance at Cambridge?
___Sophie___
Rep:
(Original post by ferm4t)
The C will still help, it increases you UCAS points or whatever they're called
But it doesn't look good. If I did end up failing maths as that's also a possibility, then could I not mention it?
ferm4t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
But it doesn't look good. If I did end up failing maths as that's also a possibility, then could I not mention it?
You wouldnt mention a fail I dont think. Another thought I had was that if you only mention 4 Highers 1 is a B it looks a lot worse than 5 Highers with 1 B and 1 C.
___Sophie___
Rep:
(Original post by ferm4t)
You wouldnt mention a fail I dont think. Another thought I had was that if you only mention 4 Highers 1 is a B it looks a lot worse than 5 Highers with 1 B and 1 C.
You think so? Hmm I don't know haha
But some universities eg St Andrews only state the requirements for 4 Highers, for languages it's AAAB, so surely if I applied there then AAAB would look better to them than AAABC
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No, you must include them all. However, I wouldn't worry if they're not relevant to what you're applying for.

You get five choices - aim for the stars with at least one.
ferm4t
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You think so? Hmm I don't know haha
But some universities eg St Andrews only state the requirements for 4 Highers, for languages it's AAAB, so surely if I applied there then AAAB would look better to them than AAABC
I don't see how that makes any sense, an extra C looks better than nothing lol
username2694731
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hello

Report all grades, otherwise your application is invalid or you could be thrown out of uni if it is discovered when you get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wolfmoon88
Report 4 years ago
You're not the first person who has told me that Cambridge is still possible.
But almost all Scottish applicants have 5 A's at higher and 3 A's at advanced.
I'll have AAABC and 3 A's at advanced. It angers me so much because I do so well in the languages (in my prelims i got 99% in French and spanish and 96% in german, like I said I'll get around the same in the real exams) and studying 3 languages is very very rare... And a A/B in english & C in maths surely gives me no chance at Cambridge?
If you get to the interview phase and do well on the admissions test (not sure if languages have one, but I assume they do) anything can happen, reach for the stars with one of your options if Cambridge is your dream uni (if you meet the entry requirements, most candidates get an interview I think, Doonesbury can confirm)
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)
(if you meet the entry requirements, most candidates get an interview I think, Doonesbury can confirm)
Approx 80%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise