Adastramaspera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
im a very anxious person normally but especially with tests and exams. I have my driving test in June and my driving instructor is very supportive and kind with me and has said he will sit in on my test with me, we've also had to declare i have anxiety on my forms when we applied for the test.

However, what i'm worried about is
A) getting in the car, what if i start having a panic attack before
b) if i get anxious before it, if i got too anxious like past the point of typical nerves, would the examiner/ or my instructor stop me doing the test?
C) what happens if i started having a panic attack during the test on the roads whilst we're driving? will the examiner be able to pull the car over?

Also, before anyone can say it - yes i should be driving, yes i am capable of driving during stress - yes my driving instructor is happy for me to be driving and is confident in my abilities of driving, even with anxiety. Anxiety never effects my driving normally, it's just the amplified nerves of the driving test.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Moved to "Learning to drive"
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adastramaspera)
im a very anxious person normally but especially with tests and exams. I have my driving test in June and my driving instructor is very supportive and kind with me and has said he will sit in on my test with me, we've also had to declare i have anxiety on my forms when we applied for the test.

b) if i get anxious before it, if i got too anxious like past the point of typical nerves, would the examiner/ or my instructor stop me doing the test?
C) what happens if i started having a panic attack during the test on the roads whilst we're driving? will the examiner be able to pull the car over?

Also, before anyone can say it - yes i should be driving, yes i am capable of driving during stress - yes my driving instructor is happy for me to be driving and is confident in my abilities of driving, even with anxiety. Anxiety never effects my driving normally, it's just the amplified nerves of the driving test.
Just calm down, it's perfectly normal to be nervous and anxious about your test; however, keeping your nerves at a minimum is a skill which'll need to be mastered. Master this and I have no doubts you'll pass your driving test. Most test fails occur due to nerves and not due to lack of skill, so make sure you are keeping those nerves to a minimum!

Furthermore, if you were issued your licence by the DVSA by completing all their forms, truthfully, and declaring what needs to be declared, then of course you're allowed on the roads!
Gazmoop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I passed my test 3rd time in an automatic becuase i was too scared to use gears, i have anxiety.

I had a panic attack before my 3rd test, to the point my driving instructor offered to take me home and forget about it, but i thought id just go in. In the end, i cried throughout the whole test, but i actually passed
I was told if at any point it got too much, i could pull over, ask them to stop and call my driving instructor to come and get me.

You can do it! Just remember, you are in controll, you control if you do the test and if you want it to stop it can. Its all in your control!
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got terrible anxiety as well. I actually failed the first time. I find that I'm most comfortable when I'm driving alone and on the motorway.

During the test I found it easier to speak aloud every hazard I see and action I'm going to take. In fact, the examiner also found it useful and complimented me on it!
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adastramaspera)

In my opinion you shouldn't worry about things that are beyond your control. Anxiety, while you can obviously influence it a bit is ultimately not in your control, and if it just means you need to do the test again later, that's hopefully not going to be a major problem.

Your examiner will not stop the test unless either you commit a dangerous fault, or you ask them to end early. You can pull over and stop at any time during the test, so long as you do so safely the examiner cannot mark you down for it. Ideally you shouldn't do this too much as you don't want to be wasting time, but it's definitely better to have a minor fault for failing to make progress than to panic and do something silly.
sek510i
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you need to stop, tell your examiner why and find somewhere safe and legal to pull up. It's better to do that than to get more upset by trying to keep going

Examiners are used to people being nervous, so talking through hazards or talking to them is fine if it helps. I had a quick conversation with my examiner before I started my test, and I found that that really helped a lot with nerves.

Your examiner wants you to do well, just focus on the driving and not on the test
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads