Drama and Theatre studies exam 23rd June 2017 (Edexcel - A-Level)

Watch
lucy dixon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can you write theatre history notes (section C) in your section A and B scripts? Or are you just allowed the 1000 words for theatre history?
Can I go over the word count without getting penalised.....
eruditeprincess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just allowed 1000 words for theatre history, I've been told, though I'm probably putting a tiny bit abt Greek Theatre in my Lysistrata script for the exam with all of my notes - they can't take my notes away, realistically, as my interpretation is historically based, so it'll probably blend in. Best to put on 1000 words though so you have a clear document that is different to script. Hope this helps! Also you can't go over word count - Edexcel v big on not going over word count
lucy dixon
Rep:
?
(Original post by eruditeprincess)
Just allowed 1000 words for theatre history, I've been told, though I'm probably putting a tiny bit abt Greek Theatre in my Lysistrata script for the exam with all of my notes - they can't take my notes away, realistically, as my interpretation is historically based, so it'll probably blend in. Best to put on 1000 words though so you have a clear document that is different to script. Hope this helps! Also you can't go over word count - Edexcel v big on not going over word count

Ahh, ok. Thank you!
KatieHam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lucy dixon)
Can you write theatre history notes (section C) in your section A and B scripts? Or are you just allowed the 1000 words for theatre history?
Can I go over the word count without getting penalised.....
Your teacher has to check your notes and sign it to say you haven't cheated and put Section C notes in your script!
Ntrott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay so I need help:
Is there a formula for how to right the answers for Section A
I swear i've been trying but honestly cant get above 1 our of 4!
I need structure
Any advice?
Emjoy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah, for a 4 marker you do two rehearsal technique, explain them, and give examples of how you would use them with quotes from the script
lucy dixon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ntrott)
Okay so I need help:
I need structure
Any advice?
The best way is through a PEE structure. Our teacher drills this into us :
P: reh tech and practitioner
E: how you conduct the reh tech
E: the effect that it has on the actor
Jinkx Monsoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ntrott)
Okay so I need help:
I need structure
Any advice?
Our teacher taught us WHiTE.

W: What rehearsal technique
Hi: How it works
T: Text reference
E: Effect you're aiming for.

So for example, for a... idk relationships question for Lysistrata for the oath taking scene ----

[W] The first rehearsal technique I would use to display the tense, competitive nature of the relationship between the women would be Frantic Assembly's 'round, by, through'.
[HI] For each line spoken, each actor would move around, stand by, or step through the other; this shows a heightened sense of energy and awareness of proximity.
[T] I'd ask my actors to be rough with one another, pushing each other out of the way to gather Lysistrata's attention - "Let me take the oath first!".
[E] This would help to portray the women as highly cutthroat, whilst the sudden switch from ladylike uncertainty to aggressive intensity and exaggeration helps to add a layer of physical comedy to the situation.

Something like that. Hope this helps you!
lauren_mh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
can someone please help with Section A, part b & c, any tips on structure to achieve the full marks?!
Emjoy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lauren_mh)
can someone please help with Section A, part b & c, any tips on structure to achieve the full marks?!
For part B you basically do the same structure for the 4 marker but with an added technique and explainaion

For the 10 marker the structure is as follows:
para 1 - An aim for your rehearsal
what happening in the scene
A warm up
para 2 - rehearsal technique to build on the warm up and aim. Explanation of the technique. How your actors would use it in the rehearsal with quotes. What the actors would gain from it. link back to aim.
para 3+4 repeat para 2
Para 5 = Mini performance linking in all techniques used in the rehearsal and link to aim
lauren_mh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's everyone doing for their performance concept?
Jinkx Monsoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is Lysistrata but based around/inspired by the Vietnam War, what about yours?
lauren_mh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jinkx Monsoon)
Mine is Lysistrata but based around/inspired by the Vietnam War, what about yours?
ooh a lot of people I know are doing that! mine is also Lysistrata and i'm doing gun crime / gang violence in America
hneedham1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am also doing Lysistrata and Vietnam, how are you doing the chorus and how are you doing the scene when the women throw water down onto the men
(Original post by Jinkx Monsoon)
phoebetrain
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
anyone have any rough kind of structure or top band essay you don't mind sharing for section B? I'm doing Lysistrata and struggle with adding bits about original performance conditions
eruditeprincess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine is Lysistrata in the American Revolutionary War (1775 - 1783, set in 1782)
Elion Dashi
Badges: 8
Report 3 years ago
Why are the grade boundaries so low for the exam?
Elion Dashi
Report 3 years ago
Guys I've been a bit of an idiot and not done my notes yet. I still have to finish 17 scenes from woyzeck so got to annotate around 70 pages left. I reckon I can finish that by Thursday. Then I've got to do my directors interpretation super quickly and I've already done my section c notes?

Advice? Will I have to be retaking this exam next year lol
Elion Dashi
Report 3 years ago
Anyone? Structures or anything would be much appreciated x
phoebetrain
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elion1299)
Anyone? Structures or anything would be much appreciated x
I've just written a section B for Lysistrata that I've sent off to be marked now, once I get it back I'll share it if it's any good or of any use, I know its a different play but it might help with structure??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise