The Student Room Group

self teaching an a-level

if I just find a local exam centre that does the a-level i want to do, could i just self teach the course. I would try to find an online programme but they don't seem very trustworthy?
If you can find a private exam centre to take you, then yes.
I self taught one/two AS levels.
History of Art was very easy to sort out, as it is 100% exam, so I just contacted the exam centre, they sent me the times of my exams, and I studied. I ended up with a B which annoyed me but on the day I got one bad question and it pulled my marks down. I'm not unhappy with my mark though, I'm still proud of getting myself a B when I was self teaching alongside my AS levels at school.
The exam centre I was with also offered chemistry, biology and other subjects, which do require coursework and practicals. They ran certain days when you could come and do your practical, and coursework deadlines and advice would be given.

I also did EPQ privately, as my school weren't running it, although you pretty much do EPQ independently anyway - that's the point of it! But it just meant travelling two or three times to see my tutor at the exam centre, and then doing a presentation for her.
Original post by katiee987
History of Art was very easy to sort out, as it is 100% exam, so I just contacted the exam centre, they sent me the times of my exams, and I studied. I ended up with a B which annoyed me but on the day I got one bad question and it pulled my marks down. I'm not unhappy with my mark though, I'm still proud of getting myself a B when I was self teaching alongside my AS levels at school.
The exam centre I was with also offered chemistry, biology and other subjects, which do require coursework and practicals. They ran certain days when you could come and do your practical, and coursework deadlines and advice would be given.

I also did EPQ privately, as my school weren't running it, although you pretty much do EPQ independently anyway - that's the point of it! But it just meant travelling two or three times to see my tutor at the exam centre, and then doing a presentation for her.

Hey, how do you do an EPQ privately?
Original post by michael10101

I emailed a load of schools and colleges and one said they'd take me as a candidate just for EPQ! A lot said they'd only take me if I joined them for all my A levels, but I didn't want to do that, I just wanted to do EPQ privately, because I do like my school.

Anyway, they agreed to take me, and as I'm Year 13, it was free. She emailed me the work etc, I did research myself, wrote my EPQ, would email my tutor for advice/guidance, met with her a few times, then we set a date for my presentation, which we did, and that was that.
Reply 4
Original post by michael10101

EPQ is not open to private candidates. Any centre that accepts candidates would have had to enter them as centre candidates and very few centres would be prepared to do that. This is because the centre would also have to commit to saying that they were confident the work was all the candidate's own work and how can they do that if the work is not supervised and the candidate's abilities known to the centre?
Reply 5
Original post by rosie_cats
if I just find a local exam centre that does the a-level i want to do, could i just self teach the course. I would try to find an online programme but they don't seem very trustworthy?

What A level are you hoping to study?
Original post by Compost
EPQ is not open to private candidates. Any centre that accepts candidates would have had to enter them as centre candidates and very few centres would be prepared to do that. This is because the centre would also have to commit to saying that they were confident the work was all the candidate's own work and how can they do that if the work is not supervised and the candidate's abilities known to the centre?

Sorry, I should've made it clearer. I tried to explain - I wasn't an actual private candidate, a centre just took me on even though I wasn't their student. I had my AS grades and spoke on the phone and they very kindly agreed to enter me.
Original post by Compost
What A level are you hoping to study?

politics, I already have three A-levels i just would like to get an extra one on my gap year :smile:

ah thank you so much, I'm pretty sure with the A-level I'm thinking of it would be possible to self teach so that's great. Thanks so much for your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by rosie_cats
politics, I already have three A-levels i just would like to get an extra one on my gap year :smile:

That's relatively straight forward in that it is 100% assessed by exam. If you want to take the full Politics A level in 2018 then you'd need to go for the old linear specification - AQA's version is the most popular http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/government-and-politics/as-and-a-level/government-and-politics-2150 and there are specific text books for it.

The cheapest place to take it would almost certainly be the centre you took your other A levels if they will have you back.
Original post by Compost
That's relatively straight forward in that it is 100% assessed by exam. If you want to take the full Politics A level in 2018 then you'd need to go for the old linear specification - AQA's version is the most popular http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/government-and-politics/as-and-a-level/government-and-politics-2150 and there are specific text books for it.

The cheapest place to take it would almost certainly be the centre you took your other A levels if they will have you back.

Yeah i was considering that as I'm still in contact with my other A-level teachers so I think I will arrange something, thanks for the help :smile:

Hey,
How much did it cost you to do an EPQ privately? And what exam board was it for?

Quick Reply

Latest