Can I study A - Level Maths now?

Watch this thread
Kedhar.p
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently in year 10 and I've always been good at maths, even doing some GCSE foundation in year 3. I was wondering if it was possible to take my GCSE in maths next year and do the A-Level and if it would be possible to do if I started studying in Just?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kedhar.p)
Hi,

I'm currently in year 10 and I've always been good at maths, even doing some GCSE foundation in year 3. I was wondering if it was possible to take my GCSE in maths next year and do the A-Level and if it would be possible to do if I started studying in Just?
Yes, but ask your school/ head of department, head of year about early entry.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Some people do go this route, although the benefits are debatable. On person from my school did his A-level maths early; he got an A (this as before A*) and ended up doing maths at Exeter (which is reasonable overall, but not great for maths in particular).

I would perhaps recommend focusing on aiming for complete mastery of the GCSE topics; since you're very comfortable with them overall, spend time exploring the limits of what you've been taught, how this knowledge can be extended, are there are alternate techniques that could lead to the same answers, is it possible to derive the formulae you've been using with your current knowledge? If not, what additional things are you missing do you think?

You certainly could do the A-level early but it doesn't really make a difference, as unis will want to see 3 taken simultaneously over three years in any case, and if you don't take Further Maths but wish to pursue e.g. physics, engineering, computer science, they may be concerned over the "gap" in mathematics study between you taking the A-level early and beginning university. Thus you don't "save" time doing Maths earlier, nor do you particularly gain anything else (the flexibility to take an extra subject you wouldn't have otherwise, but equally if you're very strong mathematically it's likely you could cope with Maths + FM + 2 other subjects (presuming you continue to FM).

Additionally look for other maths opportunities in your area; see if there are any outreach programmes from nearby universities, maths olympiad and similar. This would probably be a better route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (49)
30.06%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (72)
44.17%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (40)
24.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.23%

Watched Threads