Can someone mark this GCSE (8 mark) History question on Germany?

Watch this thread
NinjaGod
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Explain the strength and weaknesses of the Weimar constitution.

The Weimar constitution had various weaknesses and strengths.

One strength was that the Weimar constitution made Germany democratic. This meant that people could vote for what they wanted instead of being controlled by a dictator. It also meant that no one person had full power which was good so that no one could fully take over the country. The fact that the Weimar constitution made Germany democratic was an important strength because it was a huge change in comparison to the Kaiser ruling the country. It would have made many German people happy because they disliked the Kaiser’s way of ruling. This factor also links in to how the Weimar constitution allowed women to vote. This was a strength because it meant that half of the country’s vote would now be counted; Men would normally be the only ones allowed to vote. As a result of this, the democracy was very fair and gave an honest view as to what the people wanted.

One weakness of the Weimar constitution was proportional representation. This policy meant that any party that got votes had a seat in the government. Whilst on paper, this may seem like a good idea, the truth of the matter was, that it was not a good idea at all. This policy meant there were many parties that had seats in the government and so, it was very hard for decisions to be made since they needed a majority vote. The result was chaos in the government. This was an important weakness because it resulted in the government finding very hard to make secure decisions to rule the country and, the people were the ones who suffered from this.

The final weakness in the Weimar constitution was Article 48. This was an article that meant that the country could be ruled by decree in a state of emergency. This was bad because it did not directly say what a state of emergency was and so, it was a loophole in the constitution. Hitler would later exploit this loophole and use it to claw his way to power. Therefore, this weakness could be seen as, arguably, the most important one because it resulted in Hitler taking power and causing a lot of destruction.

In conclusion, I think that the Weimar constitution was a good idea but, was let down by it’s weaknesses due to poor editing and checking of the policies in which it contained.
fiza.ahmed_
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NinjaGod)
Explain the strength and weaknesses of the Weimar constitution.

The Weimar constitution had various weaknesses and strengths.

One strength was that the Weimar constitution made Germany democratic. This meant that people could vote for what they wanted instead of being controlled by a dictator. It also meant that no one person had full power which was good so that no one could fully take over the country. The fact that the Weimar constitution made Germany democratic was an important strength because it was a huge change in comparison to the Kaiser ruling the country. It would have made many German people happy because they disliked the Kaiser’s way of ruling. This factor also links in to how the Weimar constitution allowed women to vote. This was a strength because it meant that half of the country’s vote would now be counted; Men would normally be the only ones allowed to vote. As a result of this, the democracy was very fair and gave an honest view as to what the people wanted.

One weakness of the Weimar constitution was proportional representation. This policy meant that any party that got votes had a seat in the government. Whilst on paper, this may seem like a good idea, the truth of the matter was, that it was not a good idea at all. This policy meant there were many parties that had seats in the government and so, it was very hard for decisions to be made since they needed a majority vote. The result was chaos in the government. This was an important weakness because it resulted in the government finding very hard to make secure decisions to rule the country and, the people were the ones who suffered from this.

The final weakness in the Weimar constitution was Article 48. This was an article that meant that the country could be ruled by decree in a state of emergency. This was bad because it did not directly say what a state of emergency was and so, it was a loophole in the constitution. Hitler would later exploit this loophole and use it to claw his way to power. Therefore, this weakness could be seen as, arguably, the most important one because it resulted in Hitler taking power and causing a lot of destruction.

In conclusion, I think that the Weimar constitution was a good idea but, was let down by it’s weaknesses due to poor editing and checking of the policies in which it contained.
I think you would get full marks or maybe 7 . I think you should do two paragraphs on strength and then two on weaknesses but because of the level of detail you put I think you can still get full marks .
Good job
In your paragraph about proportional representation you can say that it led to a coalition government and allowed extremist groups into the Reichstag .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads