The Student Room Group

Can you mark this? Explain why the Munich Putsch can be seen as a success for Hitler

Explain why the Munich Putsch can be seen as a success for Hitler (8 Marks)

The Munich Putsch can be seen as success to Hitler in a variety of ways.

One way in which it was a success is how it gave publicity to Hitler. When he was arrested, many newspapers and other forms of media wanted to get coverage of Hitler’s trial. This is due to the fact that he was getting rapid rising popularity throughout Germany. Many people in Germany were unhappy with the Weimar government and, therefore, would have supported Hitler’s “Putsch” against them. This meant that many people would have seen the news about Hitler and would have viewed him as a national figure. The publicity is probably one of the most important successes of the Munich Putsch because it gave the Nazi party national recognition and widespread support. The publicity also links into how many people would have seen Hitler’s prison sentence as him standing up to the government and taking a heroic punishment.

Despite the severity of his actions, Hitler was only given a minor 5 year sentence to jail whilst being eligible to parole after only 9 months. This meant that the Munich Putsch could be seen as a success because the amount of publicity and, the point that he made to the country was only to be payed with a small price. However, this can only be seen as a minor success because he still had to go to jail.

The Munich Putsch also had indirect successes. For example, whilst in jail, Hitler was able to write his book, Mein Kampf, from which the new, reorganized Nazi party would be based upon. This was a success because the book contained all of the Nazi policies and ideologies from which he would use as a form of propaganda. However, once again, this success can only be seen as a minor one as, Hitler would still have probably been able to gain support by spreading his ideologies without the book.

In conclusion, I think that the Munich Putsch was an overall success for a variety of reasons that come together to show that Hitler gained more from the Putsch than what he lost; Going to jail for 9 months.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Maybe mention some of the aims Hitler addressed in Mein Kampf e.g. abolish the Treaty of Versailles, unite all German speaking people etc. But overall it was very good :smile:
I would give you a 7/8 because you did explain your paragraph, however I think your point wasn't necessarily a success for Hitler.
I think your first paragraph should relate more to Hitlers success directly. Although it is correct- however, he didn't necessarily gain much media coverage, since the Nazis were only a small extremist group, and the social democrats were in the lead at this point. Additionally, it wouldn't make sense because after the Munich Putsch the Nazis actually lost seats in the 1928 elections. I would make my first paragraph about his realisation to gain power. Although he was imprisoned, and 16 Nazis were killed, he realised that he had to get power legally.. This led to him enlarging the SA, creating the SS, increasing propaganda (through rallies, posters, etc) and promising work and bread which appealed to the working class (which was the majority of society) after the First World War because unemployment was high and rising at 2.5m. These years were known as the wilderness years and were between 1924-1928. They began to change tactics.
Hoped this helpedd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
6/7.
The first paragraph was amazing, and it did gain him publicity, and made the Nazi party much more recognisable. But your second paragraph about his book is a bit vague. You should write about how the people reacted to it, and what were his actual aims? Why was the book written? You definitely need to mention that the Munich Putsch was sort of like a wake up call for him, and he completely changed his tactics from force to taking over legally. So he tried taking over the government by force, realised it didn't work as he got arrested, and then changed his tactics so he could come to power through the legal system, and votes.
Also, the two paragraphs need to link, and your conclusion needs to be able to combine the two ideas together. So maybe you should write about Mein Kampf first, and then link it to how he got more publicity due to his imprisonment.
Original post by zkhan54
6/7.
The first paragraph was amazing, and it did gain him publicity, and made the Nazi party much more recognisable. But your second paragraph about his book is a bit vague. You should write about how the people reacted to it, and what were his actual aims? Why was the book written? You definitely need to mention that the Munich Putsch was sort of like a wake up call for him, and he completely changed his tactics from force to taking over legally. So he tried taking over the government by force, realised it didn't work as he got arrested, and then changed his tactics so he could come to power through the legal system, and votes.
Also, the two paragraphs need to link, and your conclusion needs to be able to combine the two ideas together. So maybe you should write about Mein Kampf first, and then link it to how he got more publicity due to his imprisonment.

It's out of 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by aneeka2000

i know, sorry. I was trying to say id give it a six or a seven. Maybe a 7 out of 8. Sorry, i didnt make that clear. X

Quick Reply

Latest