Can you mark this? Why was Hitler able to become Chancellor by 1933 (10 Marks)

Watch
NinjaGod
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I referenced to a source but, have not got it here. The references are all only a few words, however, so you can infer what it meant.

(d) Hitler was able to become chancellor for a variety of reasons.

One reason was his effective propaganda system. His propaganda appealed to many people and portrayed simplistic yet ideal ideologies about the Nazi party. This allowed him to get a lot of public support so that he could be in a position of power in the first place in order to achieve chancellor. For example, he was made vice-chancellor. His propaganda appealed to the “unemployed, young people, and members of the lower middle class”. The widespread support meant that people in the government were put under pressure to make the people happy and give Hitler a position of power. This was an important reason because, without the support of the people, Hitler would have never been able to make it so far. his support and pressure on the government also links into how he used fear to get in the position. For example, he used the SA to bully anyone who didn't give him what he wanted into doing so. The SA also attacked anyone who he disliked and so, the politicians would have been scared of not giving Hitler chancellor.

Another way in which Hitler was able to become Chancellor was by tapping into the desperation of the “desperate” people in Germany. They were desperate because of the Wall Street crash and wanted a “change” in the policies of the government to help them. Hitler belonged to an extremist right-wing party and so, they thought that he would be able to give them that necessary change. Hitler appeared to be a man who was not afraid of expressing his opinions and taking action to do something. The people saw this and supported him, pushing him to become the chancellor. Again, if Hitler did not have the necessary support of the people then he would never have had the backing to become Chancellor and so, the Wall Street crash of 1929 played a big part in allowing him to climb to power. It provided him with the instability of the country that he needed so that he would have a problem to fix and a reason to be put into power.

The final reason in why Hitler was able to become chancellor was because of the fact that Von Papen pushed Hindenburg to do so. Von Papen thought that he would be able to control Hitler from behind the scenes and so, gave him the position Chancellor. It was Von Papen’s decision that provided the final straw in giving Hitler Chancellor. It was not the most important reason but, when combined with all of the other reasons, gave the final act.

In conclusion, I think that Hitler was able to become Chancellor due to the fact that he had a large amount of support from the people. If he did not have the support then he would have never been in a position that allowed Von Papen to make him Chancellor in the first place.
aneeka2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Again, you are correct this time, but these points are very general and don't relate directly to the question. Yes, propaganda is a part of why he became chancellor, but every party promotes propaganda. So what allowed Hitler in particular to become chancellor? What occurred that didn't happen to the Social Democrats or other parties? The examiner is asking for your contextual knowledge which you have to recall in order to adapt to the question. If you want top marks, you have to make your points very specific.
The question is not asking you how he came to power, it is asking you how he became chancellor, and what events lead to this. You could include:
- The Reichstag Fire
- the enabling act
- the Emergency decree
- Von Papen and Hindenburg (you mentioned it)
I would also recommend to make more use of dates. It is easier to spot for the examiner if you write numbers of dates and years as the examiner would be able to identify straight away that you understand the question and are more likely aiming for top marks. The examiners are not going to search for your contextual knowledge. They'll give you marks but including dates just shows your evidence more clearly
Are you doing ocr history? And what are you predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LlamaLlama1730
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do NOT include Reichstag fire or enabling act. Those were March 1933 and hitler became chancellor in Jan 1933 so they are not reasons for his rise. I think 3 good points are 1) weakness of opposition 2) fear and intimidation (SS/SA) 3) Nazi appeal and propaganda (talk about how hitler presented an image of a strong Germany through his rallies and passionate speeches as well as specific propaganda measures)
NinjaGod
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by aneeka2000)
Are you doing ocr history? And what are you predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted a C but, aiming for that A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (47)
40.17%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
17.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.13%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
8.55%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (10)
8.55%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (10)
8.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
11.11%

Watched Threads