milan_tom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am quite confused on when to use allé(e) or allés instead of allé. Could someone please help me out? Sorry for taking your time.
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You add s if there are multiple people doing the verb, e.g with ils. And e if it is females, e.g Elle or Elles

It is just a matter of making the verb agree with the subject/s
milan_tom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Insecable)
You add s if there are multiple people doing the verb, e.g with ils. And e if it is females, e.g Elle or Elles

That makes sense. So, for example, would nous sommes restés be correct?
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You use allés if there is more than one person who went somewhere. So therefore you'd use it when saying "we went somewhere (providing there is at least one male within this group)" or "they (Ils) went somewhere".

You would add an extra e on to make allées if there is a group of girls, so "nous sommes allées" would denote that there is a big group of girls which you are part of, or "elles sont allées" a big group of girls you aren't part of.

"allé" is singular, so when talking about yourself if you are male or someone else who is a male. "allée" is when talking about a female, or if you are a female. Therefore you can conjugate using allé or allée as the past participle using "je suis" or "il/elle est".
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

wuuhhhh??

allés is not plural for "they go/they're going." That's "vont." lol

Isn't allés "they went?"

CheeseIsVeg
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously, it's the past participle of the verb aller (to go)

Aller is an "être verb" meaning it takes être as its auxiliary in the perfect tense (and others; but let's not go there just yet).

The past participles of être verbs act almost like adjectives in that they must agree with the subject of the sentence.

So allé is for a masculine singular subject
Allée feminine singular
Allés masucline plural
Allées feminine plural

Hope that helped.

Remember this only applies to être verbs (DR and MRS VAN DE TRAMP plus reflexives) and the mast majority of verbs (avoir verbs) don't do this in the perfect tense.
megannchloe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because 'aller' uses the etre you have either add an 'e', 'es' or 's ' depending on whether the subject is feminine, feminine plural or just plural.
This is the same for other etre verbs.

You can remember it like this: JE SUIS EXTRA 'E' (just a funny rhyme which I think actually helps )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guide...tfr/revision/3

The BBC website does a good job at explaining it further!
milan_tom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
You use allés if there is more than one person who went somewhere. So therefore you'd use it when saying "we went somewhere (providing there is at least one male within this group)" or "they (Ils) went somewhere".

You would add an extra e on to make allées if there is a group of girls, so "nous sommes allées" would denote that there is a big group of girls which you are part of, or "elles sont allées" a big group of girls you aren't part of.

"allé" is singular, so when talking about yourself if you are male or someone else who is a male. "allée" is when talking about a female, or if you are a female. Therefore you can conjugate using allé or allée as the past participle using "je suis" or "il/elle est".
(Original post by 0to100)
wuuhhhh??

Isn't allés "they went?"

CheeseIsVeg
(Original post by Connor27)
Obviously, it's the past participle of the verb aller (to go)

Aller is an "être verb" meaning it takes être as its auxiliary in the perfect tense (and others; but let's not go there just yet).

The past participles of être verbs act almost like adjectives in that they must agree with the subject of the sentence.

So allé is for a masculine singular subject
Allée feminine singular
Allés masucline plural
Allées feminine plural

Hope that helped.

Remember this only applies to être verbs (DR and MRS VAN DE TRAMP plus reflexives) and the mast majority of verbs (avoir verbs) don't do this in the perfect tense.
Thanks for all of your time. I understand it now. Thanks
username2571271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0to100

Dw you are correct :thumbsup:
They could have explained it better imo
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IKEAPanda37)
0to100

Dw you are correct :thumbsup:
They could have explained it better imo
:banana:

I mean...:pierre:
Insecable
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 0to100)
wuuhhhh??

Isn't allés "they went?"

CheeseIsVeg
I was not talking about meaning or usage, just about the agreement. It is the past participle of ''aller''.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was not talking about meaning or usage, just about the agreement. It is the past participle of ''aller''.
?
And I know it's past tense, plural.
Insecable
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by milan_tom)
That makes sense. So, for example, would nous sommes restés be correct?
That is correct, unless the ''nous'' purely referred to a group of females, including yourself.
milan_tom
Rep:
?
That is correct, unless the ''nous'' purely referred to a group of females, including yourself.
I am a boy but thanks anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads