The Student Room Group

Nursing degree-

Okay...
I am on a 3 year course currently studying Adult nursing. However I am having a change of heart on the course i am currently doing. I was wondering, as i am just finishing my second year if i quit before starting 3rd year will i still get the same opportunities in the future of working as a nurse if i wanted to pursue it later in date?
I have been told that the 3rd year honors side of the degree does not affect your opportunity to get a job as a nurse.. any advice?
Reply 1
Well if you quit now you won't be qualified meaning you will have to retrain to be able to work as a nurse.
Reply 2
I don't get what you mean?? You can't just finish year 2 and practice as a nurse. You need to do the full 3 years.
Original post by Jessica mae
Okay...
I am on a 3 year course currently studying Adult nursing. However I am having a change of heart on the course i am currently doing. I was wondering, as i am just finishing my second year if i quit before starting 3rd year will i still get the same opportunities in the future of working as a nurse if i wanted to pursue it later in date?
I have been told that the 3rd year honors side of the degree does not affect your opportunity to get a job as a nurse.. any advice?

Hi, you will have to complete the degree and be registered with NMC in order to work as a nurse.
I guess you have two options, complete the degree and see how you feel, you may want to work as an RN and see how you get on, or you may decide to move on to something else. Your other option is to leave now and see if you want to study another subject or start working.
I'm not sure how it works if you finish the degree and don't register with the NMC and don't start working as an RN, you may only have a certain amount of time to register and start working before you no longer meet the requirements to register and work as a nurse.
Is there someone you can talk your options through with to help you decide what you would like to do? It may help you to talk it through with someone.
I hope this helps.
You have to do the three years in order to qualify and be registered as a nurse. You do not need to do the 'honours' part, you are correct, but the honours relates to the final dissertation in the third year. If you don't do that you will be awarded a BSc and can register, you will not get a BSc Hons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending