The Student Room Group

How do you feel about same-sex adoption?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zeullius
even if you know your kid may be bullied simply because you're their parents?

Kids can get bullied for anything.The solution is to stop the bullying not start victim blaming.
But you hear about parents who don't let their kids hang out with kids who have gay parents, or wont let their children come round your house.

I have literally never ever heard of this

Where do you live, Pakistan?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Palmyra

No i live in england but I've seen interviews of kids with gay parents on youtube and some of them said incidents had happened. Obviously the kids are still super happy with their lives overall but I'd still feel kinda bad if I was their parents
No i live in england but I've seen interviews of kids with gay parents on youtube and some of them said incidents had happened. Obviously the kids are still super happy with their lives overall but I'd still feel kinda bad if I was their parents

Must be scummy uneducated working class families. No one else would have a problem.
Reply 44
Original post by Palmyra
Must be scummy uneducated working class families. No one else would have a problem.

I dunno round here the middle/ upper class and older people seem to be the only ones with a problem. They're too conservative.
I dunno round here the middle/ upper class and older people seem to be the only ones with a problem. They're too conservative.

Homophobia is concentrated in the working clssses, the religious and the old
Original post by Palmyra
Homophobia is concentrated in the working clssses, the religious and the old

Pretty spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByronicHero
It is completely fine. Children in care homes routinely experience considerable hardships, so any happy and stable couple who wish to provide a safe environment for a child to self-realise get my full support irrespective of whether they like penises, vaginas, both or neither. We should be encouraging people to adopt more often, rather than undergo expensive and unnecessary IVF treatment etc.

Had a terrible life in care - across the board abuse. Magdalene Laundries. Still suffering the effects now at nearly 70. Nightmares, PTSD, Depression. I will never get over it. I wouldn't care if someone adopted me had two or three heads, gay, single, whatever.
Heterosexual couples do not have the monopoly on loving children. Neither do married couples.
Original post by Seamus123
Had a terrible life in care - across the board abuse. Magdalene Laundries. Still suffering the effects now at nearly 70. Nightmares, PTSD, Depression. I will never get over it. I wouldn't care if someone adopted me had two or three heads, gay, single, whatever.
Heterosexual couples do not have the monopoly on loving children. Neither do married couples.

Aye those laundries were multiple kinds of horrific. Thanks for sharing, and of course I agree completely.
Original post by Palmyra

I've never heard of this either. Of my 7 children, two are gay - one son and one daughter. We lived in a small town and never had any problems. We were active in the community and it was just accepted when my children were growing up.
Both of my gay children are in long-term, same-sex relationships of over 15 years.
Both have 1 child each from previous marriage/relationships and were brought up together in very happy homes.
I'm in the curious position of supporting gay rights but opposing adopting.
How does it make you feel? What impact does it have on the child?
I think it should be encouraged and that same-sex couples make good parents but the reaction of other people can make life difficult for the child- i.e. bullying.
Is it selfish to adopt if you think you could cause your child to be bullied?

I'm completely for it. I don't think it has any more or less impact on a child than a straight couple adopting. I don't think bullying is a good enough reason against same-sex adoption. One could have made the same argument in the 1960s against interracial couples having children. We will all face discrimination at some point in our life. It doesn't mean we should let it rule our lives and decisions.
How does it make you feel? What impact does it have on the child?
I think it should be encouraged and that same-sex couples make good parents but the reaction of other people can make life difficult for the child- i.e. bullying.
Is it selfish to adopt if you think you could cause your child to be bullied?

I think it is very important for a child to have two parents. I do not think the gender of the parents matters much, aside from the prejudice people might face. However i think in modern Britain, most people don't really care, and with a few exception, have very much a 'live and let live' attitude towards same sex parents.

I think the quality of life and life prospects for a child with parents is much higher than of a child in a care home, so I think why not let same sex couples adopt? It seems completely outrages to me that you would deny a child a proper home and family for something as stupid as them both being male or female. I think that aspect is totally irrelevant.
Original post by The Great Game
I'm in the curious position of supporting gay rights but opposing adopting.

Then you don't actually support gay rights then. You either support full equality of rights or you don't support gay rights, not that I'd hold that against you or anything.

But do you really think it is better for a child to be brought up without a family in a care home as opposed to with a family?
Original post by aeroline1999
Then you don't actually support gay rights then. You either support full equality of rights or you don't support gay rights, not that I'd hold that against you or anything.

But do you really think it is better for a child to be brought up without a family in a care home as opposed to with a family?

No I oppose adopting for all people, gay or straight.
No I oppose adopting for all people, gay or straight.

Okay, well I take back what I said about you not supporting gay rights then I guess.

But why are you against adoption?
Maybe the other kids parents should have raised them better. The only thing you need una family is love support friendship and all of that. The sexuality of the parents doesn't dictate how well they parent.
Okay, well I take back what I said about you not supporting gay rights then I guess.

But why are you against adoption?

Think about the sorts of people who give up kids for adoption.
Think about the sorts of people who give up kids for adoption.

Okay, but why should you hold that against the people adopting the children? Surely thats a criticism of the parents giving the children away?
Okay, but why should you hold that against the people adopting the children? Surely thats a criticism of the parents giving the children away?

They can do what they want, I'll still think they're idiots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending