The Student Room Group

Should the death penalty be brought back but only be used on terrorists?

I think that would be a good deterrent for Islamic terrorists.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ranuno

Duh how would that deter suicide bombers and attackers?
UKIP is the only party that would even consider that. The other parties are too politically correct to take tough action against terrorism.
Reply 3
Won't work in Europe, here you can't even think of doing something cruel to person who does cruel things
Reply 4
Think smartass, they are mostly suicide attackers. SUICIDE. That means they die anyway.

They put their horrible ideology in front of their lives. Death is trivial to them.
Given that a lot of them kill themselves anyway or are shot at the scene I don't think it'd actually change our judicial process much.
Reply 6
personally, i think not due to the unclear definition of terrorism and how the law would cross with murder and homicide.
They tend to die in their own attacks tho
Wouldn't work because they usually don't mind dying.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
Calm down. Deep breaths. Think about what you're saying.

It is irrational to use death as a punishment. If they do not have the right to take the lives of others, then we do not have the right to take their life.

The death penalty has not been demonstrated to be a deterrent.
Margaret Thatcher wanted to reintroduce it for the IRA. Don't have a problem with it tbh. Something needs to be done. I also don't have a problem with the argument that they are prepared to die so it won't be a deterrent either. No it won't deter them. It will however save hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money on each one. Plus the danger of them radicalising others while in prison will be removed. But it would have to be done properly. It should only be implemented when there is absolutely not one shred of doubt that the individual was guilty. Look at the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six as examples of the authorities not only getting it wrong, but deliberately fabricating evidence to convict someone, anyone for the bombings. Each individual case would need the utmost scrutiny at every stage of the process. However, appeals and counter appeals that take 20 years would be completely counter productive. It would need to be incredibly efficient.
No ffs.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Duh how would that deter suicide bombers and attackers?

The attackers today were caught alive.

Death penalty would probably be the worst thing these Islamic attackers could have.
No it would be a rubbish deterrent.
Executed terrorists would be seen as martyrs, encouraging further terrorism.
And Islamic terrorists believe they will go to paradise if they die for their beliefs. They would like to be executed.
Reply 15
Original post by pereira325
Wouldn't work because they usually don't mind dying.

Maybe they'll think they won't reach "Paradise" if they got the death penalty from a Christian state.
Original post by Huai
The attackers today were caught alive.

Death penalty would probably be the worst thing these Islamic attackers could have.

The three suspected attackers were shot dead by police within eight minutes of the first incident report.

The death penalty would make them martyrs.
Original post by Huai
Maybe they'll think they won't reach "Paradise" if they got the death penalty from a Christian state.

Nah like izpenguin said they'd think they are dying a martyr's death. Where do martyr's go? Paradise.
Original post by markova21
Margaret Thatcher wanted to reintroduce it for the IRA.

In 1983 Margaret Thatcher had a majority of 144. Anything she seriously wished to introduce, she could have done so.
Original post by Ranuno

No.

The ideology of the terrorists is to die in the name of Islam and go to paradise as a martyr. They want to die. They welcome death.

The death penalty gives them a licence to commit heinous crimes secure in the knowledge that they will soon be in paradise. The global publicity surrounding the UK bringing back the death penalty, 'For Muslims Only', is exactly the propaganda their organisations thrive on. We would be handing that to them on a plate.

I also do not agree that it is cheaper to kill than to keep them incarcerated. The legal challenges alone will run to many many times the lifetime prison costs.

Finally, the death penalty will give terrorists the justification to call us hypocrites for claiming we love and respect life, but have no problem murdering their brethren.

Prison, no access to Islam or any religious material or media, publications or books whatsoever, access only to prison warders and no other inmates, basic food and water, forced feeding if they go on hunger strike.

Keeping them alive in isolation for a long as possible is their hell.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending