AS Biology How to calculate the mean volume of blood leaving the left ventricle per m

Watch this thread
JVelo
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm really stuck on question 5 from the AS Biology Specimen Paper 2 Set 2. The question contains a picture of an ECG with 8 large spikes and says
an electrocardiogram shows the electrical activity of the heart. figure 6 shows an ECG for an animal of species B at rest. Each large spike represents a contraction of the ventricles. for species B the mean volume of blood leaving the left ventricle during each contraction is 0.03cm.
Calculate the mean volume of blood leaving the left ventricle per minute.
Please help me
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JVelo)
Hi I'm really stuck on question 5 from the AS Biology Specimen Paper 2 Set 2. The question contains a picture of an ECG with 8 large spikes and says
an electrocardiogram shows the electrical activity of the heart. figure 6 shows an ECG for an animal of species B at rest. Each large spike represents a contraction of the ventricles. for species B the mean volume of blood leaving the left ventricle during each contraction is 0.03cm.
Calculate the mean volume of blood leaving the left ventricle per minute.
Please help me
Work out how many contractions there are per minute and multiply that frequency by the mean volume per contraction.
JVelo
Rep:
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Work out how many contractions there are per minute and multiply that frequency by the mean volume per contraction.
thankssss- i dont mean to sound stupid but how do I work out how many contractions there are in a minute
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JVelo)
thankssss- i dont mean to sound stupid but how do I work out how many contractions there are in a minute
I'll use a very related analogy. If you're measuring your pulse rate and there are 8 pulses in 10 seconds or 1.25 seconds per pulse, how many pulses are there in 1 minute?
JVelo
Rep:
I'll use a very related analogy. If you're measuring your pulse rate and there are 8 pulses in 10 seconds or 1.25 seconds per pulse, how many pulses are there in 1 minute?
480?
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JVelo)
480?
No. Where did you get that from?
JVelo
Rep:
No. Where did you get that from?
yeah i think i meant 8x6= 48
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JVelo)
8 x 60
Why do you think it'd be 8 \times 60 ?
JVelo
Rep:
Why do you think it'd be 8 \times 6 ?
8 pulses in 10 seconds so in 60 seconds wouldn't there be 8x6 as 10x6=60 (im really sorry im no good at maths)
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JVelo)
8 pulses in 10 seconds so in 60 seconds wouldn't there be 8x6 as 10x6=60 (im really sorry im no good at maths)
Yup, there'd be 48. Can you now figure out how to do your problem?
JVelo
Rep:
Yup, there'd be 48. Can you now figure out how to do your problem?
yup thanks
ElyrionEve
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey there! Also stuck on this question! I know you probably don't need this now, and I'm not sure if this is right whatsoever, but my idea was to find the amount of milliseconds per minute. which is (60x1000) = 60000 milliseconds per minute. I then looked at the ECG and discovered that per 100 milliseconds, the left ventricle contracts once. So I divided 60000 by 100 to find the amount of contractions per minute (which is 600). Then I multiplied the mean volume per contraction (0.03cm^3) by the amount of contractions a minute (600). To get 18cm^3. How does this sound to you guys? Could be completely wrong, but it's an idea! P.s. If you found out how to do this question, could you verify it to me, too?

-Ely
shak21
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Its right, thank you so much !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (61)
40.94%