Recommended Phsyics/Astro books, textbooks, lectures, etc, etc, for beginner? Watch

cmh1809
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Well I'm currently enrolled on the Open Plus Physics scheme as I've always had a fascination with Astrophysics, but now it's time to get down to the nitty gritty and learn as much as I can.

I'm due to start the math modules in October, so I'm covered math wise, as I'm learning ahead of time on mymathlab.

What I'm looking to do is to get my hands on as much information as I can to learn as much as I can before I start the Physics module in 2018, then start at University in 2019.

I'm looking for books, textbooks, lectures, TV Shows...you name it! ANything you think is worth reading or watching - even if it's attending events.

Just to add that I'm still at a basic level, so not looking for any textbooks that explain Relativity in deep mathematical detail. I don't mind if it's in Layman's terms though. My mathematical and understanding of Physics, as a whole, will develop in time. Just looking for some advice.

Many thanks
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've some splendid books that I've yet to entirely read, but they're wonderful for Astrophysics. Simply explained, good complexity once you get past the initial bulk, really eases you in.

They're called: *grabs them from El Stack*
An Introduction To Galaxies and Cosmology 2nd Edition (Mark H Jones)
An Introduction to the Sun and Stars 2nd Edition (Simon F Green)
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd try and get hold of the Collins Dictionary of Astronomy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Dic.../dp/0007918488

Not a textbook as such, I think it'd be great when you're starting out... also it's available very cheaply.

---
other dictionaries of astronomy I've seen have not been so good IMO - more like coffee table books full of irrelevant colour photos tbh
Eimmanuel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cmh1809)
Well I'm currently enrolled on the Open Plus Physics scheme as I've always had a fascination with Astrophysics, but now it's time to get down to the nitty gritty and learn as much as I can.

I'm due to start the math modules in October, so I'm covered math wise, as I'm learning ahead of time on mymathlab.

What I'm looking to do is to get my hands on as much information as I can to learn as much as I can before I start the Physics module in 2018, then start at University in 2019.

I'm looking for books, textbooks, lectures, TV Shows...you name it! ANything you think is worth reading or watching - even if it's attending events.

Just to add that I'm still at a basic level, so not looking for any textbooks that explain Relativity in deep mathematical detail. I don't mind if it's in Layman's terms though. My mathematical and understanding of Physics, as a whole, will develop in time. Just looking for some advice.

Many thanks
You may want to add what is your level of physics and maths knowledge, like do you have the knowledge of calculus (simple differentiation and integration).
cmh1809
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone who has replied up to now. I'll look into them books.

The level I'm at is around GCSE, but my level of math is increasing at a fast rate. I'm just looking for things that can introduce me to more concepts so I'm more familiar when I actually study them

Posted from TSR Mobile
dexterminate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
eBay is super cheap for books! When I was going through my quantum mechanics/astrophysics phase, I bought “theory of general relativity by max born” and “q is for quantum by ?” Truly great. All for less than a fiver!

Posted from TSR Mobile
cmh1809
Rep:
?
There's just that many books it's trying to find out what will work for me. I've seen a book called "teach me basic physics" anyone know if that's any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (154)
18.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (81)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (140)
17.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (116)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (252)
30.66%

Watched Threads