The Student Room Group

A level S1 edexcel Help!

Hey,
Just wanted to know on S1 edexcel papers, I've noticed that there are quite a few questions that don't specify the number of significant figures to leave the answer in....what's the best number of significant figures I should use (when my answer is a long decimal) and nothing has been written???
Original post by check.mate
Hey,
Just wanted to know on S1 edexcel papers, I've noticed that there are quite a few questions that don't specify the number of significant figures to leave the answer in....what's the best number of significant figures I should use (when my answer is a long decimal) and nothing has been written???

I tend to write all of it out then round to 4 or 5 significant figures.
Use the long decimal if you need to in the next part of the question (like Sxx, Sxy questions)
This is a good question I still wonder the same for all my modules tbh. Including S2, M2, C3,C4.
I usually just do 3SF if not asked and have my full working written before rounding (including answer before rounding with many decimal points)

E.g
= 432.59585757
= 432.60 (2.d.p)
or like e.g
=3.5490581
=3.55 (3S.F/2.d.p)
I was told it was 3 significant figures
Reply 4
Okay thanks! I think just show as many decimal points and then the final answer I'll put in 3sigfig 👍🏽
Reply 5
Original post by pereira325
This is a good question I still wonder the same for all my modules tbh. Including S2, M2, C3,C4.
I usually just do 3SF if not asked and have my full working written before rounding (including answer before rounding with many decimal points)

E.g
= 432.59585757
= 432.60 (2.d.p)
or like e.g
=3.5490581
=3.55 (3S.F/2.d.p)

Thanks I think I'll do that. Do you know the difference between the papers cause sometimes there's Paper 01 and Paper 01R for S1 just for one year and same month as well :/
Original post by check.mate
Thanks I think I'll do that. Do you know the difference between the papers cause sometimes there's Paper 01 and Paper 01R for S1 just for one year and same month as well :/

R is a replacement paper (for when the original got leaked or something)
W means the paper was withdrawn
IAL is the international version of the paper (as different timezones so people can't cheat and leak answers)
I think that's all of the types?

Quick Reply

Latest