Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS Level Option - Another Sorry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty much determined that im taking Maths + Physics (probably both to A2) however i would appreciate any help about the following subjects:

ICT
    Business Studies
    Biology
    French

Which 2 subjects (all of which im interested in) would be best to take. My strongest out of the 4 is ICT though i know it isnt respected much however is it a good idea to take a subject where you feel most confident of getting an A.

Business studies seems least likely at the minute and im worried that French AS would be too greater leap from GCSE. Biology is there as i am interested in it though im not as confident of getting a particulaly high grade in it in reality.

PS...as far as GCSE grade is concerned i will have an A* in ICT, A in Business studies, A in French and hopefully an A in double Science. Its not being too optimistic as i worked hard at GCSE and had nearly guaranteed those grades via module+coursework marks.

I hope to do computer sciences in a traditional university if that helps such as Warwick, Birmingham, York etc.
    Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    I have pretty much determined that im taking Maths + Physics (probably both to A2) however i would appreciate any help about the following subjects:

ICT
    Business Studies
    Biology
    French

Which 2 subjects (all of which im interested in) would be best to take. My strongest out of the 4 is ICT though i know it isnt respected much however is it a good idea to take a subject where you feel most confident of getting an A.

Business studies seems least likely at the minute and im worried that French AS would be too greater leap from GCSE. Biology is there as i am interested in it though im not as confident of getting a particulaly high grade in it in reality.

PS...as far as GCSE grade is concerned i will have an A* in ICT, A in Business studies, A in French and hopefully an A in double Science. Its not being too optimistic as i worked hard at GCSE and had nearly guaranteed those grades via module+coursework marks.

Thank You.
    u didn't say what ur thinking of doing at uni or what sort of careers u are thinking about.
    Business Studies and ICT are NOT considered as Traditional subjects and it may go against you if you are applying to competitive courses.
    I would recommend you to do at least 3 traditional subject for A2. This depends of course on how far you want to go and what sort of universities/courses u are thinking of applying.
    I would also recommend Economics instead of Business studies.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in some ways French AS is a big leap and in others it isn't.

If you feel you would do better at French, and be more enthused by it if you were able to tackle topics in more depth, and if those topics were approached in a more mature way, giving you room for expressing a meaningful opinion of your own, then you would enjoy French AS.

Don't be put off just because you need to learn the subjunctive mood and a few other tenses of the indicative (the mood you have used up to now). So long as you're not finding French a real struggle, and are able to actually USE new grammar in essays, rather than learn the theory and ignore it.
    Of course, you need to be more accurate too, but this comes with the extra volume of work you do for AS, as will improved comprehension skills.

How do you find orals? It might be a good idea to check how much the oral is worth on your syllabus...mine was worth 1/3! Not good if you didn't like orals.

French would be a good contrast to your other A-levels by the look of it, but don't take it if you couldn't stand the thought of French at A2, otherwise you are a bit stuffed if one of your other subjects doesn't work out!

I would say that you could easily do worse than ICT; it may not be History, but it isn't Media Studies either . I would judge that it ICT is more respected than Business Studies. It is good to have some subject where you can "relax" a little anyway.

I would say take either ICT with Biology, or ICT with French. Forget Business Studies, but have you considered Economics, or doesn't your sixth form offer it?

ReputationRep:
    the way i was looking at it was that my dad is a self-employed MD of a meduim sized company and he didnt get a A level in Business Studes, thus meaning that it doesnt exactly open up the sorts of doors that you would think.

Economics isnt offered this year for the first ever time - typical

Im worried that Biology will be too hard for me and that French would be too much of a jump from GCSE. However i am fairly certain that Business Studies and ICT i can achieve a higher grade.

The thing is IMHO Maths, Physics, French and Biology are 4 very tricky subject to take indeed and although i think i will do well in GCSE i think in reality i need at least one 'easier' subject although i agree with you that 3 traditional passes will help me more such as French, Maths and Physics will increase my employability quite a lot as well as helping to get into a highly competative degree course that is Comp Sci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    Well, in some ways French AS is a big leap and in others it isn't.

If you feel you would do better at French, and be more enthused by it if you were able to tackle topics in more depth, and if those topics were approached in a more mature way, giving you room for expressing a meaningful opinion of your own, then you would enjoy French AS.

Don't be put off just because you need to learn the subjunctive mood and a few other tenses of the indicative (the mood you have used up to now). So long as you're not finding French a real struggle, and are able to actually USE new grammar in essays, rather than learn the theory and ignore it.
    Of course, you need to be more accurate too, but this comes with the extra volume of work you do for AS, as will improved comprehension skills.

How do you find orals? It might be a good idea to check how much the oral is worth on your syllabus...mine was worth 1/3! Not good if you didn't like orals.

French would be a good contrast to your other A-levels by the look of it, but don't take it if you couldn't stand the thought of French at A2, otherwise you are a bit stuffed if one of your other subjects doesn't work out!

I would say that you could easily do worse than ICT; it may not be History, but it isn't Media Studies either . I would judge that it ICT is more respected than Business Studies. It is good to have some subject where you can "relax" a little anyway.

I would say take either ICT with Biology, or ICT with French. Forget Business Studies, but have you considered Economics, or doesn't your sixth form offer it?
    thank you mb that is really good advice

ReputationRep:

ICT
    Business Studies
    Biology
    French

I hope to do computer sciences in a traditional university if that helps such as Warwick, Birmingham, York etc.
    Thank You.
    i did maths, further maths, physics (traditional subjects) and ICT, business studies (non-traditional subjects) so i had a mix of subjects which i would encourage u to do

ReputationRep:
    I'll say Business is fun and relatively an easy subject. I mean, for French and Biology, you do need to put some effort in it as you'll have essays, courseworks and stuff. While for Business, you don't need to take it too serious if you like^^ We never have any long essays to complete, the likely workload for my business studies is 2-3 A4 pages of question-answer per week, which takes roughly one hour if I'm concerntrated on it.

Bus. Stud. is also quite useful though you don't HAVE to take it if you wanna do business administration. You get interesting stuff, like Maslow Hierarchy and Quantitative and qualitative research, which do benefit you in another way. And taking a so-called "soft subject" is not bad

No comments on ICT coz in my school, ICT is a weekly lesson which everyone should take.

ReputationRep:

ICT
    Business Studies
    Biology
    French

Thank You.
    depending on how many A levels you want to do, i would recommend def business studies. it is not only a lighter subject from the physics and maths, but also fits nicely with what you want to do.

just like you say, french is very different in gcse and As, but likewise there are also obvious differences from AS and A2. i wouldnt take this subject unless you were very good at gripping languages.
    bio, physics, maths and bs sounds excellent if you want to do 4 A levels, but otherwise do 3 without the bio.
    you need to look up what subjects the uni's you are looking at want.

hope this helps...good luck for your results

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.