AS Politics (elections) Watch

imnovelist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just wondering if they would ask a 25 mark question on separate topics like single Transferable vote or Additional member system or closed party list system? I know they ask about first past the post as a 25 mark question and various electoral system but idk if they would ask a whole 25 mark question based on 1 electoral system excluding first past the post
flouerobell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 25 mark question may focus on one electoral system, but it will force you to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of such system, and it will be beneficial to talk about alternatives.

For example, from last year:

'The UK should adopt the Additional Member System (AMS) for elections to the Westminster Parliament.’ Discuss.

Firstly, you identify what 'AMS' is (It is a hybrid system) and identify where it is used. (Holyrood elections) Then, talk about how it works (Each voter has 2 votes - One for a constituency member elected by FPTP and a party vote for the PR regional lists. The constituency results are announced first and parties are then 'topped up' by regional members to try and ensure that votes = seats)

As Westminster (currently) uses FPTP, you would need to talk about why AMS is better than FPTP and why it isn't. This includes how it has worked or not in Scotland. Also talk about the advantages of FPTP over AMS i.e. Why Westminster should keep FPTP.

This format can be used for any 'UK should adopt (AMS/ListPR/STV/AV) for Westminster' questions. If the question is 'UK should keep FPTP' talk about the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP, whilst mentioning why the other electoral systems should be used instead.

For reference, here is a simple guide on the electoral systems:

Pluarity:

FPTP - One vote - Most votes wins - Used in House of Commons and US Congress elections.

Majoritarian:

AV - Ranked votes - Must get 50%, if not bottom place is eliminated and votes are reallocated until top place gets 50% - Used in Australian House of Representatives elections.

SV - Two votes - Must get 50%, if not everyone but top two are eliminated and second votes ensure that someone gets 50% - Used in English mayoral elections.

Two round - One vote - Must get 50%, if not everyone but top two are eliminated and a second election is held - Used in France for both presidental and legislative elections.

Proportional:

List PR - One vote - The D'Hondt method is used to allocate seats based on the percentage of votes a party achieves. If you can only vote for one party, then it is 'closed list' but if you can vote for candidates, then it is 'open list' - Closed list was used to elect MEPs in Great Britain and open list is used to elect members to the Dutch Tweede Kamer.

STV - Ranked votes - A quota based on the number of seats and votes, the 'Droop quota' is calculated. This is the minimum number of votes required to elect a member, and bottom placed candidates are eliminated, transferring the votes until the required number of members are elected - Used in elections to Scottish councils, the NI Assembly and the Australian Senate.

Hybrid:

AMS - Two votes - One vote is for a constituency FPTP member and another vote is for a party to elect regional list PR members. The idea is that the regional members 'top up' the constituency members to ensure that votes roughly equal seats - Used in elections to the Scottish Parliament, Welsh and London Assemblies and the German Bundestag.

AV+ - Two votes - Same as AMS but constituency members are elected through AV - Not used anywhere, is only hypothetical...

Well, this is very rough and rushed, but it should be of some use
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads