Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What (exactly) is osmosis? Thanks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
net movement of water molecules along a semi permeable membrane from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.
Wikia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The exact definition I've been taught is:

Osmosis is the movement of water from a less concentrated solution to a more concentrated solution through a partially permeable membrane.
rubbishatgcse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Osmosis is diffusion , but only regarding water. It is when water molecules move from an area of HIGH concentration into an area of LOW concentration.

Think of it like when you poke a hole into a bag of sand, the sand is moving from a place with a high amount of sand into a place with a low amount of sand.

But remember Osmosis is to do with water so an example is when water gets absorbed by root hair cells: there is a HIGH concentration of water molecules outside the soil while there is a LOW concentration of water inside the root hair cell so the water moves to the area with the LOWER concentration.
username3025666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,Osmosis is the movement of water from a high water concentration to a low water concentration through a partially permeable membrane. Particles will move in both directions but the overall movement of the water molecules would be to the side with a lower water concentration and a higher solute concentration.Examples of solutes could be glucose for example.The reason for osmosis is because we trying to achieve equilibrium. What this means is, we want the concentrations of water and solutes on either side of the partially permeable membrane to be the 'same'.Hope this helps.
rubbishatgcse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rubydiamond3131)
Hi,Osmosis is the movement of water from a high water concentration to a low water concentration through a partially permeable membrane. Particles will move in both directions but the overall movement of the water molecules would be to the side with a lower water concentration and a higher solute concentration.Examples of solutes could be glucose for example.The reason for osmosis is because we trying to achieve equilibrium. What this means is, we want the concentrations of water and solutes on either side of the partially permeable membrane to be the 'same'.Hope this helps.
Hi, does diffusion and active transport work to reach equilibrium as well?
?Hannah?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
osmosis is the net diffusion of water across a partially permeable membrane from a high water potential to a low water potential.
?Hannah?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shitatgcse)
yes, they do!
username3025666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shitatgcse)
Yes they do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
14.85%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (97)
32.01%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.54%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.58%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.61%
I think it's an unfair expectation (77)
25.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.99%

Watched Threads