2) why 1/8=k*1/4*3/4

any help is appreciated, thank you!
Bumped this but I'll try it later today and see if I can get it either :P
Original post by laurasnape
just been doing this paper and don't understand why
1) its not dx/dt = -kx(1-x) as opposed to positive k because x is decreasing
2) why 1/8=k*1/4*3/4

any help is appreciated, thank you!

1) xx is increasing though. It is defined to the be the amount of wheat that is destroyed, so dxdt=kx(1x)\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(1-x)
2) Over 6 hours, the destroyed crops increase. It begins with only x=14x=\frac{1}{4} being destroyed, and end up with all of it being destroyed. So x=1x=1. Meaning the rate of change is quite simply 1146\frac{1-\frac{1}{4}}{6} over the 6 hours in which this is happening which brings it to 18\frac{1}{8}. Since we know the rate of change is modelled by dxdt=kx(1x)\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(1-x), and is constant for this period, this means when x=1/4 is destroyed, we have 18=k(14)(114)\frac{1}{8}=k(\frac{1}{4})(1-\frac{1}{4})
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
1) xx is increasing though. It is defined to the be the amount of wheat that is destroyed, so dxdt=kx(1x)\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(1-x)
2) Over 6 hours, the destroyed crops increase. It begins with only x=14x=\frac{1}{4} being destroyed, and end up with all of it being destroyed. So x=1x=1. Meaning the rate of change is quite simply 1146\frac{1-\frac{1}{4}}{6} which brings it to 18\frac{1}{8}. Since we know the rate of change is modelled by dxdt=kx(1x)\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(1-x) this means when x=1/4 is destroyed, we have 18=k(14)(114)\frac{1}{8}=k(\frac{1}{4})(1-\frac{1}{4})

thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
2) Over 6 hours, the destroyed crops increase. It begins with only x=14x=\frac{1}{4} being destroyed, and end up with all of it being destroyed. So x=1x=1. Meaning the rate of change is quite simply 1146\frac{1-\frac{1}{4}}{6} over the 6 hours in which this is happening which brings it to 18\frac{1}{8}. Since we know the rate of change is modelled by dxdt=kx(1x)\frac{dx}{dt}=kx(1-x), and is constant for this period, this means when x=1/4 is destroyed, we have 18=k(14)(114)\frac{1}{8}=k(\frac{1}{4})(1-\frac{1}{4})

how do you actually work out part a) please? on the mark scheme they divide 3/4 by 6 but not sure where the 6 comes from
thanks
Original post by lydiaws
how do you actually work out part a) please? on the mark scheme they divide 3/4 by 6 but not sure where the 6 comes from
thanks

Lol you're gonna get man vexed real soon
Reply 6
Original post by Super199
Lol you're gonna get man vexed real soon

its alright i think i got it, just quite a strange question
Original post by lydiaws
its alright i think i got it, just quite a strange question

Yh I agree, I did the same as the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest