The Student Room Group

life at university, things to do

there have been copious topics on this subject before, however i feel inclined to post such a topic to nail down on the specifics and get opinionated views from others..............

at the end of the day a university is a university.... ( living wise ) there are clubs to go to i.e. a fencing club appealed to me, going to the cinema, meeting new people, getting a girlfriend, actually going to university and experiencing it....... perhaps " clubbing " it the odd time, living with others, enhancing social skills....... i was thinking of joining a place called aqua springs, its £70 and you get unlimited access to the gym, sauna ( which is truly amazing ) for 3 months!

anything else?? any tips? anything you want to add? say it! can i just mention, i thrive learning, i like reading, studying....... challenges are always fun...... just would appreciate some insight into life at university or any questions that you have, could possibly be answered by someone already attending university!

WOOOOOOO am so excited :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
DazYaABB
there have been copious topics on this subject before, however i feel inclined to post such a topic to nail down on the specifics and get opinionated views from others..............

at the end of the day a university is a university.... ( living wise ) there are clubs to go to i.e. a fencing club appealed to me, going to the cinema, meeting new people, getting a girlfriend, actually going to university and experiencing it....... perhaps " clubbing " it the odd time, living with others, enhancing social skills....... i was thinking of joining a place called aqua springs, its £70 and you get unlimited access to the gym, sauna ( which is truly amazing ) for 3 months!

anything else?? any tips? anything you want to add? say it! can i just mention, i thrive learning, i like reading, studying....... challenges are always fun...... just would appreciate some insight into life at university or any questions that you have, could possibly be answered by someone already attending university!

You couldn't enhance your socials skills to an even higher level, surely?
Reply 2
corey
You couldn't enhance your socials skills to an even higher level, surely?

can you not be civil for just once, corey?
Reply 3
how amazing can a sauna be?!!
Reply 4
Pencil Queen
Why pay £70 for 3 months access to a gym when your uni will probably have just as good fitness facilities (although possibly not so pretty) for at the most £70 for the entire year.

really? i have no idea :/ i didn't think the university would have its own sauna etc........ the tennis clubs etc would have been outside the university surely?
Pencil Queen
Sauna maybe not, but then in reality how often are you likely to use a sauna? - tennis clubs here at soton are included in the gym membership price (£45pa for students £70 for staff)

You will find almost any sports activities will be cheaper accessed via the uni/union....even the uni ski club here is cheap

I'm confused about the kcl sports facilities! But i get a gym in the basement bit of my halls!! How cool!
DazYaABB
really? i have no idea :/ i didn't think the university would have its own sauna etc........ the tennis clubs etc would have been outside the university surely?

exeter uni with its *supper dooper* new tennis centre include all that, ok i dont think we hae a sauna, but its not my cup of tea really.

love Katy ***
Reply 7
this sauna , has a jacuzzi, steam room, about 5 spacious saunas....... and a couple of smallish swimming pools with a plunge pool ( really cold )
Reply 8
ALSO what is the chance of sharing the same room with some girls? i mean..... all boys? pffffft bring in the ladeez
Reply 9
DazYaABB
ALSO what is the chance of sharing the same room with some girls? i mean..... all boys? pffffft bring in the ladeez

You can Daz :cool:
Reply 10
Pencil Queen
But it's in colchester - I thought you were going to uni in manchester :confused:

they are still deciding...... and i'm fighting like hell to get accomodation there as i ORIGINALLY went for deferred entry

essex have offerd me a remarkable course and i only just scraped my a and my b

i'm scared of struggling at manchester
Reply 11
411?
You can Daz :cool:

i can bring in the ladeez? haha that's a good one :tongue:
Reply 12
DazYaABB
i can bring in the ladeez? haha that's a good one :tongue:

:rolleyes:

Whos TK getting naughty with on UKL? :biggrin:
Reply 13
411?
:rolleyes:

Whos TK getting naughty with on UKL? :biggrin:

probably every1
Reply 14
DazYaABB
probably every1

:eek: She is shocking :cool:
Reply 15
411?
:eek: She is shocking :cool:

i know, she asked for my phone number but i have no beef with tk, shes ok to me
Reply 16
just a quick clarification: Essex Uni does actually have a small sauna room in the Sports Centre (obviously the Aqua Springs sauna is better, yet more expensive).
Reply 17
Pencil Queen
So long as Manchester decide by August 31st then you're guaranteed accommodation http://www.accommodation.man.ac.uk/guarantee.htm

I wouldn't worry about struggling - the grade requirements for competetive courses like dentistry are as much to cut down on demand as they are about being able to cope with the course...and as long as you're willing to ask for help if you're having trouble then you'll be fine (most students don't realise that it's OK to pop in and visit a lecturer after a lecture if you haven't quite understood something and that personal tutors will always try to arrange extra time to help you understand something that you're having trouble getting your head around...but you do have to approach them - they aint psychic).

What's the course at Essex? Have you spoken to Pencil - IIRC he's studying at essex and living at home. I think Loftx is at essex too (but I'm not sure if that's my mind playing tricks).

i appreciate your efforts ...... the accomodation at manchester is a bit blurred at present

it seems that so many people sky rocketed in their exams this year that it did make me think twice about what i should do

essex would prefer me to do a 4 year course ( beng ) because of my grades and they also offer a 4 year BSc...... The course itself is a computing type course however in the first year i will probably transfer to a BSc in information management studies or internet networking or something related....it says you can transfer onto a degree within the computer science department or... the electronic systems engineering department, something like that
Reply 18
I know Lancaster Uni has it's own Sauna :smile:
DazYaABB

:smile: hey Dazzy! I'm looking forward to starting my new course too! WHOOOOOOOO! :tongue:

Uni life... well... I got quite a few friends who go to uni already [ in their 2nd or 3rd years now] and from what they've said, it IS loadsa fun! Yay! :smile:

The workload they've said is adequate and do-able depending on your strengths and weaknesses. Just gotta make sure you keep up to date and you're sorted! :smile: They all said that the fact that they either can do/or enjoy the degree they've chosen makes life a lot easier as they'll breeze through it/or work at hard to get the results.

Social-wise... it's very buzzing! lol :tongue: You meet loadsa new people from different walks of life [though I've noticed there's a lot of private school students who go to the more "top" unis but I dunno if that's just a false generalisation or not] whether from your course/a different one/at student social events/gym/Freshers Week/clubs/sports clubs/societies/general mingling... lol. -plenty to choose from then! :smile: [one of my teachers would tell his life stories every lesson...lol... and he said he met his lifelong friends at uni, all doing different courses, which is kinda kool]There's absolutely loads to do [as listed], you'll probably find you have to cut down to to fit everything in! lol. My uni mates seem to have a taste for clubbing/playing sport/general going out/playing this intellectual war game that I still don't understand! haha :tongue:/conservation... etc -literally all sorts. There's something for everyone!

They're all finding uni life fairly straightforward and fun. Thoguht they're not too keen on exam season. lol. but some unis allow for revision time i think. Finance does prove to be a bit of an issue even if you're alright to begin with.. but they said you DO learn to budget and stuff like that.

Anyway, that's just some stuff I got from my mates who know what it's like. lol... it's just struck me that, virtually ALL of my friends are computer science/science/mathsy/engineering type peeps. lol. -I'm the odd one out. :tongue: Non-conformist. :tongue: haha.

Anyway personally Dazzy, I think you'd have no probs with uni. You're the kinda guy who'd thrive on it! :biggrin: Just make sure you enjoy yourself AND work hard, which I have no doubt that you will do. :smile: Best of luck always... :smile:

~Skye~

Latest

Trending

Trending