OCR History: Russia and it's rulers revision tips/suggestions

Watch
Cuthbert Eggnog
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everybody, just wondering if anyone were to have any tips for the OCR History exam on the 'Russia and it's rulers 1855-1964' unit on Friday 9th of June. I've been trying to revise the unit for weeks now but regardless of how hard I try, I can never seem to get to grips with it. I'm in an awkward situation whereby I changed institutions for 6th form and so most of the key terms/Russian words included in the course make less sense to me than the rest of the class (as they did a unit on Russia for GCSE level, whereas I did not) and in response, my teacher who did not seem a fan of outsiders simply gave me a textbook for the entire GCSE spec and told me to "Catch up yourself". I'm taking 4 A-levels as is compulsory at my 6th form and so have not had much time to be able to fit in a whole extra GCSE course worth of revision just to learn new terms. Any facts, mnemonics or strategies for this exam that anyone finds particularly helpful would be insanely useful for me if possible, as I feel seriously behind and in a spot of deep water here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Cuth
tanvisingh99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi - I'm doing the course too, so I completely understand your pain!
I'd say, from my own experience, that making essay plans is probably the best way to revise as the course asks you to constantly analyse, synthesise, and compare the different rulers and their policies. If you have it, the new revision guide is actually really helpful as it has numerous sample essay titles and essays for each topic.
For the A question, I think you just need to remember the debates and try to remember as many facts to go with the arguments as possible - but this should be significantly easier than the two B questions as the sources will (hopefully) have most of the information you'd need to refresh your memory and direct the course of your answer.
Hope this helps, good luck!!
Cuthbert Eggnog
Rep:
?
Essay plans seem to be the way to go! I've tried a few out today and it seems to be working far more effectively than just cramming statistics in the hope that they stick (which for History seems to be utterly useless). Thanks for the advice! The source based question will hopefully provide something useful for the second two, as it's those I'm dreading more than anything. I'm glad that someone else can empathise! Good luck to you also, and thanks again!

Cuth
Andyest99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I am stuck in the same position. For section B were you taught to write it thematically or as a yes/no debate?

Thanks xx
Cuthbert Eggnog
Rep:
?
Hi, I was always informed by my teacher that section B was always supposed to be answered thematically, giving a broad overview over all of the rulers from Alexander II right through to Khrushchev. I suppose it could be placed under debate, but so long as you cover all of the rulers and use each of their actions to stack up against the other, I got the impression you could still get marks. Don't rely on that 100% however, as my teacher was the type to not really have a clue what was going on, neither did she even know the full specification so I'm not sure how accurate she was.

Good luck on Friday, and hopefully I've been somewhat helpful,

Cuth
jawwadkhan._
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cuthbert Eggnog)
Hi, I was always informed by my teacher that section B was always supposed to be answered thematically, giving a broad overview over all of the rulers from Alexander II right through to Khrushchev. I suppose it could be placed under debate, but so long as you cover all of the rulers and use each of their actions to stack up against the other, I got the impression you could still get marks. Don't rely on that 100% however, as my teacher was the type to not really have a clue what was going on, neither did she even know the full specification so I'm not sure how accurate she was.

Good luck on Friday, and hopefully I've been somewhat helpful,

Cuth
Hey there can you send me the essay plans you made?
jawwadkhan._
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cuthbert Eggnog)
Hello everybody, just wondering if anyone were to have any tips for the OCR History exam on the 'Russia and it's rulers 1855-1964' unit on Friday 9th of June. I've been trying to revise the unit for weeks now but regardless of how hard I try, I can never seem to get to grips with it. I'm in an awkward situation whereby I changed institutions for 6th form and so most of the key terms/Russian words included in the course make less sense to me than the rest of the class (as they did a unit on Russia for GCSE level, whereas I did not) and in response, my teacher who did not seem a fan of outsiders simply gave me a textbook for the entire GCSE spec and told me to "Catch up yourself". I'm taking 4 A-levels as is compulsory at my 6th form and so have not had much time to be able to fit in a whole extra GCSE course worth of revision just to learn new terms. Any facts, mnemonics or strategies for this exam that anyone finds particularly helpful would be insanely useful for me if possible, as I feel seriously behind and in a spot of deep water here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Cuth
Hey there? Do you mind sharing these essay plans?
Undec
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would also like to ask if you could share them.
We could trade I also have some notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.15%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (49)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.69%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads