Am I entitled to free university in Scotland? Watch

kaitroxxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a GCSE student legally classed as an English citizen ( being born there and living there for the last 15 years). I am currently 15 and will be siting my GCSEs next May (2018) . My mother is Scottish and my dad is English. We are considering me moving out on my own to Scotland, once I have sat my exams as I will be 16. At this point I would continue education in Scotland during my ( a-level / "college years") . Would I be entitled to free university in Scotland and if so what would the terms be ?
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/for...niversity-edu/
"To get a free Scottish university place you have to be Scottish or from an EU country outside of the UK, i.e. it's free if you're from Germany, but charged if you're from England or the USA (for example)."
"You need to live in Scotland for three years, after which you are sufficiently a resident to get free tuition anywhere in Britain, on account of being domiciled in Scotland."
Edinburgh uni:http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...nce/fee-status
"Students who normally live in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will have a fee status of Home-RUK."

Students who normally live in Scotland will have a fee status of Home-Scotland.
If you are in any doubt regarding your eligibility for support, please contact the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).

Student Awards Agency Scotland

Moving to Scotland for only 2 years before uni (after your gcses) would probably mean you are not entitled to free uni in Scotland imo but can always check further eh.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kaitroxxx)
I'm a GCSE student legally classed as an English citizen ( being born there and living there for the last 15 years). I am currently 15 and will be siting my GCSEs next May (2018) . My mother is Scottish and my dad is English. We are considering me moving out on my own to Scotland, once I have sat my exams as I will be 16. At this point I would continue education in Scotland during my ( a-level / "college years") . Would I be entitled to free university in Scotland and if so what would the terms be ?
You are a really,really similar case to me, and the answer is No free fees, as you will still be classed as English( I ruled out Scottish Universities for that reason( I'm applying for 2018 entry so looked at the policies))

Posted from TSR Mobile
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?
Moving to Scotland for only 2 years before uni (after your gcses) would probably mean you are not entitled to free uni in Scotland imo but can always check further eh.[/QUOTE]

If I delayed a year ie went at the age of 19 would this make a difference ?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
If you are moving to Scotland then wait the three years to get free fees. get a job and save money would be the smart thing to do, unless ofc Labour got in and changed everything.
pereira325
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moving to Scotland for only 2 years before uni (after your gcses) would probably mean you are not entitled to free uni in Scotland imo but can always check further eh.
If I delayed a year ie went at the age of 19 would this make a difference ?[/QUOTE]

According to my research and what 999tigger has said, yes.
3 years living in Scotland before applying for uni seems to be the criteria for free uni
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
If you are moving to Scotland then wait the three years to get free fees. get a job and save money would be the smart thing to do, unless ofc Labour got in and changed everything.
Thanks . We are also considering me renting a place from my auntie in Scotland ( ie : she she would rent me it for mega cheap ) . Would I have to legally prove I had a job ? would something like a café job suffice ?
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by pereira325)
If I delayed a year ie went at the age of 19 would this make a difference ?
3 years living in Scotland before applying for uni seems to be the criteria for free uni [/QUOTE]

Thank you , are you aware of the difference between the English a-levels and ( the Scottish highers equivalent I believe ?) ??
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 year ago
Thanks . We are also considering me renting a place from my auntie in Scotland ( ie : she she would rent me it for mega cheap ) . Would I have to legally prove I had a job ? would something like a café job suffice ?
Just living there would be ok , but a job would be better with a regular income and tax being paid.
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just living there would be ok , but a job would be better with a regular income and tax being paid.
thanks.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 year ago
thanks.
Its a smart move and it makes no sense to pay if you are happy with a scottish uni.
Jackieox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

3 years living in Scotland before applying for uni seems to be the criteria for free uni
Actually...no. The SAAS guidelines state you must: "Be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date. We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere." As OP is moving there purely for education they wouldn't be eligible.
pereira325
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jackieox)
Actually...no. The SAAS guidelines state you must: "Be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date. We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere." As OP is moving there purely for education they wouldn't be eligible.
Well, I'm sure that'd be up for negotiation The intent of OP and his/her parents.
Just say I came to be close to my grandparents or like I felt Scotland was safer and I wanted to move. They can't prove you moved there purely for education unless you tell them so :P
Jackieox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, I'm sure that'd be up for negotiation The intent of OP and his/her parents.
Just say I came to be close to my grandparents or like I felt Scotland was safer and I wanted to move. They can't prove you moved there purely for education unless you tell them so :P
The intent is to get free fees. I mean it's kind of obvious when OP moves on their own and starts renting a place (Student finance ask for loads of evidence of these things), does their A-levels and then applies for a scottish uni. That's the type of thing that would cause student finance to ask for even more evidence including dates you lived in your current house, parents addresses, and if OP wants any chance of a decent loan it'll need to be assessed on parental income which is when it will all come out that OP moved on her own..

If OP's whole family was moving you could probably get away with it..
pereira325
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The intent is to get free fees. I mean it's kind of obvious when OP moves on their own and starts renting a place (Student finance ask for loads of evidence of these things), does their A-levels and then applies for a scottish uni. That's the type of thing that would cause student finance to ask for even more evidence including dates you lived in your current house, parents addresses, and if OP wants any chance of a decent loan it'll need to be assessed on parental income which is when it will all come out that OP moved on her own..

True say. Yeah if OP is moving by themself without family to Scotland it is really 'bait' that they are doing it for educational purposes. Otherwise less so But, even then, they'll be wanting good justification for the move to Scotland now from England.
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?

As my whole family lives in Scotland this probably wouldn't be a problem proving family , all so I would be living right next door to my auntie in fact I'm sure if I wanted shed put me on her address and just give me the place if I wanted. I would also be doing my "a-levels (highers) in Scotland.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Looking at that PDF, there are a number of criteria:

1. You have to be 'ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the relevant date (the first day of the first academic year of the course).'

Tick.

2. (n/a)

3. Be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date. We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full- time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

So based on that - you don't need to move to Scotland until, say, after the end of term at your school elsewhere in the UK so long as you can say convincingly that you're not just there for the education. As there are lots of reasons to be in Scotland, that shouldn't be too difficult. If you left it to the day before the course started, it would be harder.
kaitroxxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by unprinted)
Looking at that PDF, there are a number of criteria:

1. You have to be 'ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the relevant date (the first day of the first academic year of the course).'

Tick.

2. (n/a)

3. Be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date. We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full- time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

So based on that - you don't need to move to Scotland until, say, after the end of term at your school elsewhere in the UK so long as you can say convincingly that you're not just there for the education. As there are lots of reasons to be in Scotland, that shouldn't be too difficult. If you left it to the day before the course started, it would be harder.
Thank You.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The actual law involved is The Education (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations 2011:

"s3 Relevant connection with Scotland

.. a post 2011/12 student has a relevant connection with Scotland if that post 2011/12 student — (a) is ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date; (b) has been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands throughout the period of 3 years immediately preceding the relevant date"

... unless a minister decides that you're only there for the education.
jahason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
We have lived in England all our lives. For the past five years my son and daughter got jobs in Scotland and have been living and working there. They have both bought apartments there. My youngest daughter is doing her GCSE's in England. After GCSE my wife and daughter plan to move up to Scotland to be near rest of family. My daughter will do Scottish Highers there. I will stay in England as my job is here (till I retire soon) but periodically live in Scotland for as much as my employer will allow me to work from home. Could my daughter qualify for free university tuition?As far as I can see requirement is to be in UK for three years and in Scotland before the start of her course. There is also a requirement not to move up just to get free tuition, but in our case we are gradually shifting our family to Scotland. But then in this thread I read there is a requirement to live in Scotland for three years prior to start of university course. So I am a bit confused.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (0)
0%
No (65)
100%

Watched Threads