The texts I'm studying are:
Poetry: Hardy and Eliot, Donne
Drama: The Duchess of Malfi, A Streetcar Named Desire, King Lear
bookgirl1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm doing this exam board (although for some reason its named Eduqas even though its part of WJEC

For poetry I am studying: Donne, Duffy and Larkin
Drama: King Lear, Enron and Faustus

have you done much revision?
josaltzman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by bookgirl1)
Hi, I'm doing this exam board (although for some reason its named Eduqas even though its part of WJEC

For poetry I am studying: Donne, Duffy and Larkin
Drama: King Lear, Enron and Faustus

have you done much revision?
Barely any at all. How about you?

My teacher for A1 was amazing, but this year has been pretty awful, and I've had hardly anything marked etc. so I have no idea how this will go.

But finally, someone else doing Donne! What poems are you studying because my college doesn't actually seem to have a set list? Different teachers taught different poems (around 20 in total), but they've also given us a list of about 10 more to teach ourselves with no input... and then apparently one that we haven't actually studied could still come up!?

Lear I'm not feeling too bad about. I like the extract questions.
bookgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh gosh there is a long list lets see if I can remember them - the good morrow, song, the flea, the sun rising, the apparition, loves growth, loves alchemy, twickenham gardens, death be not proud, batter my heart, since she whom I loved, The indifferent, triple fool, the relic, to his mistress going to bed, a valediction of weeping and about 3 more religious poems I can't remember the names of. There are a few more but these are the ones that come to my head!

I'm feeling okay for Donne, but definitely not for Duffy and Larkin!!
josaltzman
Rep:
?
Oh gosh there is a long list lets see if I can remember them - the good morrow, song, the flea, the sun rising, the apparition, loves growth, loves alchemy, twickenham gardens, death be not proud, batter my heart, since she whom I loved, The indifferent, triple fool, the relic, to his mistress going to bed, a valediction of weeping and about 3 more religious poems I can't remember the names of. There are a few more but these are the ones that come to my head!

I'm feeling okay for Donne, but definitely not for Duffy and Larkin!!
Ah, okay! We do most of those poems, but not all of them are the same, so who knows how the extract poem question will go haha! And I'm the other way around, I think. I'm feeling pretty okay for Hardy & Eliot-- as long as they don't pick some horrible theme / question.

To be honest, my main issue is timing! I run out of time in pretty much every exam, except for unseen, where I end up with like 45 minutes of doing nothing.
bookgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by josaltzman)
Ah, okay! We do most of those poems, but not all of them are the same, so who knows how the extract poem question will go haha! And I'm the other way around, I think. I'm feeling pretty okay for Hardy & Eliot-- as long as they don't pick some horrible theme / question.

To be honest, my main issue is timing! I run out of time in pretty much every exam, except for unseen, where I end up with like 45 minutes of doing nothing.
Yeah same! 2 hours is hardly any time to write two essays and and do detailed analysis of a poem! I always end up waffling in the unseen although to be honest we have not had much practice with that. I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to English yet because the exams don't start until next week and almost all my other subjects are before English!

I hope the exam is not too difficult, I need an A* lol.
josaltzman
Rep:
?
Yeah same! 2 hours is hardly any time to write two essays and and do detailed analysis of a poem! I always end up waffling in the unseen although to be honest we have not had much practice with that. I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to English yet because the exams don't start until next week and almost all my other subjects are before English!

I hope the exam is not too difficult, I need an A* lol.
I focused quite a bit on Donne yesterday as it's my 2nd exam, but that was more just typing out context etc. I'm not too worried as we get the texts for poetry, so at least there's not as much to memorise!

And I agree! It really isn't enough time to analyse 4 poems, then another 3, and then a detailed analysis of 1-- it's ridiculous!!

Good luck getting your A*!! I'm aiming for an A, I think. I wouldn't mind a B, but only if I got As in my other two subjects...
bookgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I focused quite a bit on Donne yesterday as it's my 2nd exam, but that was more just typing out context etc. I'm not too worried as we get the texts for poetry, so at least there's not as much to memorise!

And I agree! It really isn't enough time to analyse 4 poems, then another 3, and then a detailed analysis of 1-- it's ridiculous!!

Good luck getting your A*!! I'm aiming for an A, I think. I wouldn't mind a B, but only if I got As in my other two subjects...
And drama is the same! Hardly any time. Unfortunately I decided that I wanted to do english at Uni so if I don't get at least an A I'm not getting in anywhere!
josaltzman
Rep:
?
And drama is the same! Hardly any time. Unfortunately I decided that I wanted to do english at Uni so if I don't get at least an A I'm not getting in anywhere!
That's true!! I honestly don't know why they can't just add an extra 15 minutes to them. The timings seem so unreasonable. And I'm doing Ancient History at Birmingham!
bookgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's true!! I honestly don't know why they can't just add an extra 15 minutes to them. The timings seem so unreasonable. And I'm doing Ancient History at Birmingham!
I'm (hopefully!!) going to study English Literature at Warwick!!
Btstrash
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? Its out of 160 right? So to get an A I'm guessing you have to get about 134 out of 160. How much do you think it'll be to get an B and C? I'm super scared because I didn't finish both paper 1 and paper 2 and by this I mean I didn't get to finish comparing poems, I think I only did 2 paragraphs in both paper 1 and paper 2 for the 25 marker in section B. Then I'm sure I didn't get full marks for the others because my romeo and Juliet answer and Christmas carol answers were not that great either.
bookgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because it is a new syllabus they may well be slightly lower than usual, but honestly I have no idea! None of my teachers are willing to suggest any grade boundaries because no one has any idea, sorry. Timings my issue too, so my plan is to learn the texts so well that when given a question I can start it straight away, without having to spend ages looking for the right poems. But yeah, I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be quite lenient!!
SerenPhillips
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are most of you from England then? For the welsh WJEC exam it's just one poet and two unseen poems to compare...don't envy the eduquas exam though! The poems that come up should be the more famous ones, but the flea already came up in my sams paper so can basically rule that out. Any tips on how to revise? Churning out essays is getting a bit much
Miapang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone have an idea what the question might be for Duffy and Larkin on thursday?
vsmanmvlik
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Miapang)
Does anyone have an idea what the question might be for Duffy and Larkin on thursday?
I'm hope it's death/ loss of hope. Relationships would be good too, and settings wouldn't be too bad, but if it's memory/the past/journeys then i'm screwed lol. The specimen paper had questions about characters, and "poetry makes ordinary experiences strange" or something like that but I don't know if there is any correlation between sam's and the actual questions.
Miapang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by vsmanmvlik)
I'm hope it's death/ loss of hope. Relationships would be good too, and settings wouldn't be too bad, but if it's memory/the past/journeys then i'm screwed lol. The specimen paper had questions about characters, and "poetry makes ordinary experiences strange" or something like that but I don't know if there is any correlation between sam's and the actual questions.
I hope its love/ relationships I don't think that's been a question since 2015 but I guess you never know. Time or conflict wouldn't be too bad either but anything to do with setting im awful at! And none of the poems I have studied could branch under death 😩
vsmanmvlik
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Miapang)
I hope its love/ relationships I don't think that's been a question since 2015 but I guess you never know. Time or conflict wouldn't be too bad either but anything to do with setting im awful at!
What poems from Larkin's whitsun weddings collection can you analyse for time? Duffy has loads but idk about Larkin. For settings I'm planning on bleaney/1964/talking in bed/disgrace

Posted from TSR Mobile
vsmanmvlik
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
and for death I'm planning to do bleaney/1964/ambulances/havisham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miapang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by vsmanmvlik)
What poems from Larkin's whitsun weddings collection can you analyse for time? Duffy has loads but idk about Larkin. For settings I'm planning on bleaney/1964/talking in bed/disgrace

Posted from TSR Mobile
An Arundel Tomb, Afternoons, A Study of Reading Habits, 1914, and Love Songs in Age. I usually analyse them under "the passing of time" .
wavyjosh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is anybody else doing this exam board?

The texts I'm studying are:
Poetry: Hardy and Eliot, Donne
Drama: The Duchess of Malfi, A Streetcar Named Desire, King Lear
Wait, you are only looking at 2 poems? I just did my WJEC GCSE exam like 2 weeks ago and I had to do look at 18, just for 1 to come up...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
21.33%
Less motivated (118)
78.67%

Watched Threads