Could you please rank those unis in terms of prestige for engineering?

Watch
Yazan10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Leicester, queens Belfast, Liverpool, manchester metropolitan, Swansea Thanks in advance!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yazan10)
Leicester, queens Belfast, Liverpool, manchester metropolitan, Swansea Thanks in advance!
"Prestige" doesn't matter if you want to be an engineer. But you can check the various rankings easily yourself.

Have you already applied, or visited these universities? For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
What sort of engineering?
Yazan10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
"Prestige" doesn't matter if you want to be an engineer. But you can check the various rankings easily yourself.

Have you already applied, or visited these universities? For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have but the rankings are misleading and change every year and include stuff like student experience which for me don't really matter at all. Aerospace engineering
Yazan10
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What sort of engineering?
Aerospace
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have but the rankings are misleading and change every year and include stuff like student experience which for me don't really matter at all. Aerospace engineering
So the typical, and equally mistaken, measure of "prestige" is "are they in the Russell Group". Of your list, QUB and Liverpool are RG.

Which do *you* prefer?

How did you come up with this shortlist?

And I'll ask again, have you visited them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there.

Yes, the league tables are often very arbitrary due to the inherent arbitrariness of both the performance metrics used and their associated weightings. Student satisfaction is probably only second to "value added" for the ignominious title of worst metric.

A good rule of thumb for you to use is ranking the universities by "hard" metrics. The best one for your purposes is entry standards, which serves as a good indicator of university prestige and does not fluctuate as much year on year.

The logic is as follows: more academically rigorous universities have greater prestige, employers hold them in greater stead, these universities are more competitive to gain entry and hence the entry requirements are greater.

Here's the entry standards for the universities you specified using the old UCAS tariff system (which changed this year):

QUB (389)
Liverpool (387)
Leicester (374)
Manchester Met (346)
Swansea (317)

Overall, I would say that QUB and Liverpool are the most prestigious and they are also part of the RG, which are viewed highly by many (not by me however). In my opinion, QUB > Liverpool but at the end of the day I think your decision will boil down to which country you want to spend 3/4 years of your life in.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Swansea has a bit more of an emphasis on engineering than the others, it was a big up and comer over the last few years but it's stagnated a bit this year. I still think that would be my choice out of the 5 though if I was applying for aerospace again.

It's not a prestige issue so much as this is how good I've heard their course is and how much employers want to employ graduates from there.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look at the course content - tbh none of those are particularly noted for Engineering.

Which offer a year in industry? Are they using CFD and modern software like Solidworks, CATIA. SO much of engineering is software based that the newer unis prepare you better for industry.

Look for group projects, workshop experience etc.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Prestige is a brand of saucepans popular in the 60s and 70s. It shouldn't be applied to university choices.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which should tell you they are a pretty silly way to choose a Uni.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
QUB has Bombardier on its doorstep.

It also has a wind tunnel, unlike Liverpool.

And to, Muttley79, uses Solidworks and has an optional YINI.

And a £27k average starting salary for grads vs £23k for Swansea Helloworld_95
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
QUB = Liverpool > Leicester > Swansea = Manchester Met
Shadowfire123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am going to study Aero eng at uni this September
I have many friends who have studied Aero engineering or are still studying at uni

Why do you want to aerospace?

There is no point checking the prestige as each uni offers different courses and Modules
Instead of prestige look for what you like
I would say look to go in the top 100 university in England and that university should be in top 25 in the Aerospace sector into ranking ( in that course) if not top 50 depending on your situation

I have applied to go Hertfordshire as it is in the top 100 in UK and Top 25 in the Aerospace
And one of the uni which is just 50+ Years and so is Brunel ( however I'm not doing A2 Physics so I didn't apply to Brunel)

I like the course way of teaching and Modules at Herts and Brunel
That's why I chose these uni and they are both ranking high in the top 100 -and let alone in the top 25 in the Aerospace

Plus Herts has the highest employability after graduation 👨*🎓 96%
So please research a bit
TheAdviser101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Prestige is a brand of saucepans popular in the 60s and 70s. It shouldn't be applied to university choices.
Mind you it's still very popular now in India
Owain53
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Liverpool
Leicester
Queens Belfast
Swansea
Man Met
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
QUB has Bombardier on its doorstep.

It also has a wind tunnel, unlike Liverpool.

And to, Muttley79, uses Solidworks and has an optional YINI.

And a £27k average starting salary for grads vs £23k for Swansea Helloworld_95
Swansea has far more people going into further study, hence the lower starting salary, additionally a lot more people from Belfast end up unemployed.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Swansea has far more people going into further study, hence the lower starting salary, additionally a lot more people from Belfast end up unemployed.
Well tbf both samples are tiny...

It seems unlikely 28% (Swansea) would really do further study after an MEng...?

And those going into further study are excluded from average salary data.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well tbf both samples are tiny...

It seems unlikely 28% (Swansea) would really do further study after an MEng...?

And those going into further study are excluded from average salary data.
But then you could argue that the low salary at Swansea and high salary at QUB are as a result of the small sample lol
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
But then you could argue that the low salary at Swansea and high salary at QUB are as a result of the small sample lol
Absolutely.

None of this is really that good a way to pick a course. I think you'd agree, OP needs to find a course they like at a university they want to study at.

"Prestige" is the absolute least valuable thing to be researching. Especially when none of the choices are especially "prestigious" anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads