Macy457
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If I were to take psychology as an a level, could someone explain to me all the things you learn? Also is there a lot of science to learn along with it? (Didn't mean to put click the gcse subject bit)
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I'm currently doing A2 psychology OCR. It will be different for AQA.

You learn about the 5 core areas: social, cognitive, developmental, biological and individual differences. You learn 4 studies for each topic, so 20 core studies in total. You need to know the aims, samples, designs, procedures, results, conclusions and evaluations for all of these. You also need to compare the studies with each other. You need to know the assumptions of the areas and compare them with each other.

You learn about the debates: nature/nurture, freewill/determinism, reductionist/holistic, situational/individual, psychology as a science, socially sensitive research.

You do research methods which is the maths part - statistical tests, mean, median, mode, range, standard deviation, variance, graphs and charts. There isn't much science you need to know.

You also do applied psychology where you learn about mental health, and then 2 other options. In my case it was criminal and child psychology. Mental health has 3 topics, child and criminal both have 6. In each topic you learn about the background, a key study, and some kind of application to real life. You need to evaluate these.

You do 3 exams - research methods, core studies and applied psychology, all 2 hours long.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (0)
0%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (0)
0%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (1)
25%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (0)
0%
No, nothing has changed (0)
0%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (3)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise