The Student Room Group

How did your Politics exam go??

Hey guys I did my Edexcel Unit 1 politics exam today AS, how did yours go? I thought the questions were pretty decent. Also, do you have any predictions for the Unit 2 paper
Reply 1
I found the questions to be awful, and I am 100% positive that I misinterpreted one of them and I have lost 10 marks.
Original post by mberrocal
I found the questions to be awful, and I am 100% positive that I misinterpreted one of them and I have lost 10 marks.

Which one? Elections?
Revised so much for it and i'm already capped at D - C which is very disappointing considering i'm a AS retake changing formation of subjects I picked in the previous school year. I chose Democracy and Pressure Groups. The Democracy section went surprisingly well I finished and implemented allot of evidence and facts to reinforce my arguments I really enjoyed that section however this took a toll as i was at the very back of the hall and could not see the time and asked a moderator what time the exam was going to finish and he said '10:40' but it was actually 10:14. Whilst doing pressure groups i felt confident and slowed down i just wrote a quality paragraph for why pressure groups increase political participation and responsive government referred to CBI getting 14% corporation tax cuts in 2010 which could have contributed conservative winning the next 2015 general election even spoke about falling election turnout using statistics to reinforce the almost perfect paragraph critiqued it with Tony Blair ignoring stop the iraq war campaign and then i'm hearing the moderator stating put your pens down. Not even a 5 minute warning! So i did a sh**ty conclusion which was incoherant whilst moderators came to collect my paper and whilst leaving the hall it left me distressed. Now my chances of even getting an offer when applying for University of East Anglia have diminished because i probably will only get D/C this year for politics. And i'm not confident of predictions for my other subjects next year so disappointed.Below is how many marks i predict I got and this is me being very optimistic.Democracy (A) - 4(B) - 8(C) - 21/22Pressure Groups(A) - 4(B) - 7(C) - 9Thats 53 marks but I'm going to say theirs an negative interval about -7 which according to last years grade boundaries would put me at 46 which is D.Although i have the opportunity to retake this, it's gonna add to my hassle next year and problems of applying to good unis this year which is already hard considering i'm a retake.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Txvxvxvn
Revised so much for it and i'm already capped at D - C which is very disappointing considering i'm a AS retake changing formation of subjects I picked in the previous school year. I chose Democracy and Pressure Groups. The Democracy section went surprisingly well I finished and implemented allot of evidence and facts to reinforce my arguments I really enjoyed that section however this took a toll as i was at the very back of the hall and could not see the time and asked a moderator what time the exam was going to finish and he said '10:40' but it was actually 10:14. Whilst doing pressure groups i felt confident and slowed down i just wrote a quality paragraph for why pressure groups increase political participation and responsive government referred to CBI getting 14% corporation tax cuts in 2010 which could have contributed conservative winning the next 2015 general election even spoke about falling election turnout using statistics to reinforce the almost perfect paragraph critiqued it with Tony Blair ignoring stop the iraq war campaign and then i'm hearing the moderator stating put your pens down. Not even a 5 minute warning! So i did a sh**ty conclusion which was incoherant whilst moderators came to collect my paper and whilst leaving the hall it left me distressed. Now my chances of even getting an offer when applying for University of East Anglia have diminished because i probably will only get D/C this year for politics. And i'm not confident of predictions for my other subjects next year so disappointed.Below is how many marks i predict I got and this is me being very optimistic.Democracy (A) - 4(B) - 8(C) - 21/22Pressure Groups(A) - 4(B) - 7(C) - 9Thats 53 marks but I'm going to say theirs an negative interval about -7 which according to last years grade boundaries would put me at 46 which is D.Although i have the opportunity to retake this, it's gonna add to my hassle next year and problems of applying to good unis this year which is already hard considering i'm a retake.

Same thing happened to me. I was looking at the bird for my end time, and saw 10:40. But by the time 10:20 came the invigilator said 10 mins left and I quickly realised that I was reading the time for the exam that was happening at the same time (applied science exam) so for elections I only did and intro 2 points for and against and no conclusion :frown:. I really had myself set up for that question to write 4/5 paragraphs as well. It's an essay subject so you never know how it could have went.
Original post by MajorFader
Same thing happened to me. I was looking at the bird for my end time, and saw 10:40. But by the time 10:20 came the invigilator said 10 mins left and I quickly realised that I was reading the time for the exam that was happening at the same time (applied science exam) so for elections I only did and intro 2 points for and against and no conclusion :frown:. I really had myself set up for that question to write 4/5 paragraphs as well. It's an essay subject so you never know how it could have went.

The exam completely ruined my day, I went home and just went to sleep and woke up 2pm on this forum just to express my distress, especially because I've done little to no exam revision for unit 2. The only benefit I can see of this is 1) that summer is coming and i have the time to be doing hand exercises with my writing hand to try to increase hand speed and writing speed by going to gym. 2) I spoke to people who did the exam last year and they were expressing the same results i suffered from this year last year and how unit 3 & 4 has helped them with writing structure & execution why they expect a better result this year, implying theres still hope 3) I've got a part time job which i can buy material stuff to make me feel better and I can invest in a tutor for the next school year for politics which can help me with answer execution.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Which one? Elections?

What were the questions for Unit 1 ?
Reply 7
Yes! I misunderstood question c from the elections one. I only wrote about List systems, completely regarding all other proportional representation methods and how they're used in devolution

I ended up getting a C overall for politics AS so i'm relieved that my teacher can potentially even predict me a B as it wasn't evident to him I was even pushing my weight with revising Politics never use to do my homework or anything and i'll be pushing my weight for this final year so hopefully i can actually get a B and even if I flop next years AS exam at least im reassured i got a C for the prior AS exams which is 50% of the grade but that will mean i have to do something spectacular for the A2 exams to get final B grade. I'm also relieved that I even got a C even though i didn't finish that unit 1 exam so It kinda suggest i done really well in Unit 2 (maybe B) which will be easier to boost my grade up because next year i will definitely finish the exam up to a high standard. I'm aiming for either East Anglia or Loughborough and I got ABC this year so hopefully i can get an offer.
I ended up getting a C overall for politics AS so i'm relieved that my teacher can potentially even predict me a B as it wasn't evident to him I was even pushing my weight with revising Politics never use to do my homework or anything and i'll be pushing my weight for this final year so hopefully i can actually get a B and even if I flop next years AS exam at least im reassured i got a C for the prior AS exams which is 50% of the grade but that will mean i have to do something spectacular for the A2 exams to get final B grade. I'm also relieved that I even got a C even though i didn't finish that unit 1 exam so It kinda suggest i done really well in Unit 2 (maybe B) which will be easier to boost my grade up because next year i will definitely finish the exam up to a high standard. I'm aiming for either East Anglia or Loughborough and I got ABC this year so hopefully i can get an offer.

That's good! I am abroad so I don't even know my results until I come back on Friday. Why don't you retake unit 1 to bump you up?
That's good! I am abroad so I don't even know my results until I come back on Friday. Why don't you retake unit 1 to bump you up?

That's what I plan to do. I'm just relieved that I got C and i'm not gonna get complacent at the moment and i'm gonna strive for that B.
That's what I plan to do. I'm just relieved that I got C and i'm not gonna get complacent at the moment and i'm gonna strive for that B.

What were your ums marks in both papers?
What were your ums marks in both papers?

Haven't received the UMS papers back but will update you. When you get your results back come back and update us.
(edited 6 years ago)
Haven't received the UMS papers back but will update you. When you get your results back come back and update us.

I will πŸ‘πŸΎβœŒπŸΎ
Got a C, not happy with it, probably going to drop the subject

Okay so I got a B for AS poltics. I am not too sure whether I am happy about it as I always thought that I would get a higher grade in Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest