The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Computer Science - Unit 1 - Post-Exam discussion thread

How did everyone find the exam? I thought it went pretty well, hoping for an A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meowimacow
How did everyone find the exam? I thought it went pretty well, hoping for an A

I thought it was good but I messed up on quite a few questions still
Reply 2
A few of the bigger questions threw me, meaning I probably lost quite a few marks which hopefully the smaller maths questions made up for. Questions 8 and 9, with the respective 6 and 4 mark questions of mark up programming paradigms and Lossy compression. I was unsure how to get 6 marks on Mark Up languages - but I hadn't revised Lossy compression so couldn't quite answer it, I rambled a bit though. Also the 10 mark at the end, not sure quite what I needed to talk about in order to gain all the marks?
Original post by JJGear
A few of the bigger questions threw me, meaning I probably lost quite a few marks which hopefully the smaller maths questions made up for. Questions 8 and 9, with the respective 6 and 4 mark questions of mark up programming paradigms and Lossy compression. I was unsure how to get 6 marks on Mark Up languages - but I hadn't revised Lossy compression so couldn't quite answer it, I rambled a bit though. Also the 10 mark at the end, not sure quite what I needed to talk about in order to gain all the marks?

Ye im abit of the opposite i couldnt do one of the mantissa questions because i just completely forgot how to do it lol. The lossy question was also very hard as there is little information about it so its hard to know what to talk about.
Reply 4
Original post by JJGear

Were you doing Eduqas by any chance, not WJEC? My paper didn't have those questions
Reply 5
Original post by meowimacow
Were you doing Eduqas by any chance, not WJEC? My paper didn't have those questions

Yeah they're talking about the EDUQAS paper. I think people don't realise there are seperate exams for the WJEC and Eduqas.
ahhhh lol my bad
Reply 7
Original post by DiReLiVeS
Ye im abit of the opposite i couldnt do one of the mantissa questions because i just completely forgot how to do it lol. The lossy question was also very hard as there is little information about it so its hard to know what to talk about.

What did you get for the Boolean alegbra question?
Original post by dxfgch
What did you get for the Boolean alegbra question?

A.B + C
Reply 9
A.B + C

Yeah I got that too.
Original post by dxfgch
Yeah I got that too.

How did you find it overall? any questions harder in particular?
Reply 11
How did you find it overall? any questions harder in particular?

I thought it was OK. For the fetch, execute cycle I only described what each component does. Would I still get marks?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dxfgch
I thought it was OK. For the fetch, execute cycle I only described what each component does. Would I still get marks?

hmm hard to say I talked about the whole fetch cycle and then the execute cycle and mentioned PC MAR MDR etc. What did you get for the two mantissa questions?
Reply 13
hmm hard to say I talked about the whole fetch cycle and then the execute cycle and mentioned PC MAR MDR etc. What did you get for the two mantissa questions?

I described what those registers do and said the PC increments to point to the next instruction to be fetched and executed.

I think after you add the 2 binary numbers and convert to hex you get A3.

Was the question to convert 2.375 into floating point form? I can't remember my answer but I usually get these questions right.
Original post by dxfgch
I described what those registers do and said the PC increments to point to the next instruction to be fetched and executed.

I think after you add the 2 binary numbers and convert to hex you get A3.

Was the question to convert 2.375 into floating point form? I can't remember my answer but I usually get these questions right.

Ye I got A3. It said convert 2.375 and at the bottom it said find the denary value of a given mantissa and expo (I got 30).
Reply 15
Ye I got A3. It said convert 2.375 and at the bottom it said find the denary value of a given mantissa and expo (I got 30).

For the mantissa it halves each time: 0.5, 0.25, 0.125, 0.0625, etc.
For the exponent it is like binary.
Then the denary equivalent is the mantissa X 2exponent

I can't remember what answer I wrote though.

What did you write for how the O/S provides a user interface? Were you supposed to mention things like: it provides meaningful icons and allows for the creation of shortcuts?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by dxfgch
For the mantissa it halves each time: 0.5, 0.25, 0.125, 0.0625, etc.
For the exponent it is like binary.
Then the denary equivalent is the mantissa X 2exponent

I can't remember what answer I wrote though.

What did you write for how the O/S provides a user interface? Were you supposed to mention things like: it provides meaningful icons and allows for the creation of shortcuts?

Ye I think so. Also How did you draw your diagram for the bills question?
Reply 17
Ye I think so. Also How did you draw your diagram for the bills question?

Capture.PNG
Original post by dxfgch
Capture.PNG

Thats pretty much what I did. How are you feeling for component 2? and btw are abouts in England are you from?
Original post by dxfgch
I think component 2 should be OK as long as it's similar to the specimen paper and 2016 paper.
Greater Manchester and you?

Same lol what college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending