The Student Room Group

How did the Edexcel History exam go?

Hi, I can't find a thread on this. So I did Medicine Through Time and the 16 marker was a tiny bit hard but on the 6 marker I did chadwick. However, I got confused between Sir William Beveridge and Chadwick- so I wrote about both- but will I still get half marks because half the information is correct. So how did you guys find it...

Scroll to see replies

It was ok ish... Got halfway through the 16 mark question about preventing disease before realising it was on that and not treating decease... What has galen got to do with it??
And i liked the 12 mark question :smile:
the first source question i found difficult... put the fact that the government built Baths in roman and the fact that they didn't keep them working in middle ages so the rich dude had to use the tub meant that the government cared less about sanitation :P oh wellll
Original post by Katiemaison12
It was ok ish... Got halfway through the 16 mark question about preventing disease before realising it was on that and not treating decease... What has galen got to do with it??
And i liked the 12 mark question :smile:
the first source question i found difficult... put the fact that the government built Baths in roman and the fact that they didn't keep them working in middle ages so the rich dude had to use the tub meant that the government cared less about sanitation :P oh wellll

I agree what does Galen have to do with preventing disease, more like the nuns and monks caring for the people in hospitals :smile:
Hi so this is the only thread I found on this but I have been panicking all day about this. In the 16 marker, I misunderstood the question and I think because of the stress, I thought that 1350-1750 was the Middle Ages not Renaissance so that's what I wrote about. Im so annoyed with myself because its such a stupid mistake. someone please make me feel better- how many marks do you think I will lose because I have been predicted an A* and Im not sure if thats possible any more. The points I wrote were: Galen, The black death(1348 I know now:frown: ) and the church however I did qickly mention Harvey and Vesalius which may get me a few marks (only Brief) but please please help and reassure me!
Reply 4
Well period 1350-1750 is both medieval period and the Renaissance (Later Middle Ages 1350-1500, Renaissance 1500-1750) so I believe that you should get at least few of the marks available. Personally, I struggled with question 3 with Flemings speech.
Oh no! I called the great plague the Black Death in the 16 mark! But I put the year of the plague.... will I lose marks? Also, the Black Death was like 5 years long so it did go into the period they asked :smile:
Original post by emilysmith_7
Hi so this is the only thread I found on this but I have been panicking all day about this. In the 16 marker, I misunderstood the question and I think because of the stress, I thought that 1350-1750 was the Middle Ages not Renaissance so that's what I wrote about. Im so annoyed with myself because its such a stupid mistake. someone please make me feel better- how many marks do you think I will lose because I have been predicted an A* and Im not sure if thats possible any more. The points I wrote were: Galen, The black death(1348 I know now:frown: ) and the church however I did qickly mention Harvey and Vesalius which may get me a few marks (only Brief) but please please help and reassure me!

Hi, i did the same as you and you can still get full marks because 1350-1750 is the middle ages and renaissance period. Also, i dont think harvey and veslius have anything to do with preventing disease, so it's good you didn't talk about it. I talked about galens ideas coupled with church authority, that they whipped themselves and they thought miasma caused illness and public health schemes neglected. do you think those ideas are okay.
Oh no! I called the great plague the Black Death in the 16 mark! But I put the year of the plague.... will I lose marks? Also, the Black Death was like 5 years long so it did go into the period they asked :smile:
maybe only one or not at all because unlike you said the Black Death lasted a few years and you put the date. Treatments for the Black Death and the plague were pretty much the same anyway
Original post by GCSE 9
Hi, i did the same as you and you can still get full marks because 1350-1750 is the middle ages and renaissance period. Also, i dont think harvey and veslius have anything to do with preventing disease, so it's good you didn't talk about it. I talked about galens ideas coupled with church authority, that they whipped themselves and they thought miasma caused illness and public health schemes neglected. do you think those ideas are okay.
Yes I pretty much said the same things! I talked about the plagues and religious ideas (becoming flagellents like you said) and I talked about plague houses and isolation (one of the bullet points) and I mentioned about miasmas and contagion and then talked about how Galen and Hippocrates ideas continued. I spoke to my teacher and they said that it might not be full marks if you just called it the Renaissance but it's only gonna be one or two if the answer is of a high quality. I'm glad to know it's not just me!!
I found it good. How about you? I hoped my advice helped :smile:
Yes I pretty much said the same things! I talked about the plagues and religious ideas (becoming flagellents like you said) and I talked about plague houses and isolation (one of the bullet points) and I mentioned about miasmas and contagion and then talked about how Galen and Hippocrates ideas continued. I spoke to my teacher and they said that it might not be full marks if you just called it the Renaissance but it's only gonna be one or two if the answer is of a high quality. I'm glad to know it's not just me!!

Oh no I said that isolation was the public heath systems were isolated, I didn't even mention the black death :frown: Also, when you say that the essay is going to be a few marks does that mean 3/16 marks. I don't understand?
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I found it good. How about you? I hoped my advice helped :smile:

I'm glad it went well for you and your advice did help but the exam went badly for me because the paper was difficult.
Original post by GCSE 9
Oh no I said that isolation was the public heath systems were isolated, I didn't even mention the black death :frown: Also, when you say that the essay is going to be a few marks does that mean 3/16 marks. I don't understand?
I dont think that matters since the Black Death was 1348 anyway and sorry, what I meant was that it will probably only be a could of marks lost so maybe 13 or 14 marks if the answer is good quality.
Original post by GCSE 9

It's good that you didn't mention the Black Death. The time period was 1350 - 1750, so they really did want the Renaissance answer, where as the black death was late middle ages.
It was ok ish... Got halfway through the 16 mark question about preventing disease before realising it was on that and not treating decease...

That's sooo funny cuz that is exactly what i did, but i realised before hand and started talking about preventing and not treating and i discussed the black death great plague etc....

I would say you probably lost ma or min- around 6 marks because The Black Death and some of the other things you did are relevant!!!..

yes it did go into the period asked im pretty sure
Original post by Banshee123
I would say you probably lost ma or min- around 6 marks because The Black Death and some of the other things you did are relevant!!!..

Black Death is middle ages. We got told that you weren't supposed to write about it, as they wanted the Renaissance era.
Black Death is middle ages. We got told that you weren't supposed to write about it, as they wanted the Renaissance era.

You would still get credit for it if you talked about the treatments they used because the treatments they used for the Black Death were very similar to treatments used in the Great Plague which was in the Renaissance

Oh yh I realised what were we supposed to mention then cuz the only extra information i gave about preveting disease was the Great Plague...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending