The Student Room Group

AQA Food Technology Unofficial Mark Scheme 2017

Thought i'd start a thread to see how everyone got on :smile:

Post thoughts/ feelings and answers or questions you remember, i will help as much as i can!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Standard component question:
used in making and filling: could have put a range of answers for this
ready made cake mix
read made buttercream filling, jam, whipped cream etc
used for decorating:
icing
rolled icing
marzipan
etc

8 mark question advantages and disadvantages:
advantages:
consistency
saves time
saves money
require less skilled workers
expensive machinery not required
disadvantages:
limits the variety of products
can be more expensive- transportation
unreliable not get products on time
storage problems- reduce quality harder check for tampering on large scale
Original post by help.2017

Post thoughts/ feelings and answers or questions you remember, i will help as much as i can!

Do you know what the symbol was? :smile:
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Loisdobson;71897476"]

Do you know what the symbol was? :smile:

Which symbol? The red tractor logo
It was during manufacture of product animal welfare, environment etc was all considered and why customers need to know people have different ethical reasons when they buy food etc. Hope this helped
[QUOTE=Loisdobson;71897476

The symbol in the exam today of the pig, chicken and fish in a circle? :smile:
Reply 5
[QUOTE="Loisdobson;71901046"]
[QUOTE=Loisdobson;71897476

The symbol in the exam today of the pig, chicken and fish in a circle? :smile:

I don't remember this question! Do you do AQA???
Reply 6
what u think grade boundries will be like
Reply 7
Original post by arjun2001
what u think grade boundries will be like

106-109 for a*
What was the answer to the question about lacto vegetarians? I wasn't sure which to choose because one contained chicken and the other contained eggs!
Reply 9
Original post by OnlyClouds
What was the answer to the question about lacto vegetarians? I wasn't sure which to choose because one contained chicken and the other contained eggs!

eat eggs but no meat
eat eggs but no meat

Isn't it the other way round
Reply 11
Original post by OnlyClouds
Isn't it the other way round

i just googled it and

Ovo Lacto Vegetarian.

Don't eat fish or meat but will eat eggs and other dairy products.

Lacto Vegetarian.

Don't eat fish, meat or eggs but will eat milk and other dairy products.

now im confused:s-smilie:
i just googled it and

Ovo Lacto Vegetarian.

Don't eat fish or meat but will eat eggs and other dairy products.

Lacto Vegetarian.

Don't eat fish, meat or eggs but will eat milk and other dairy products.

now im confused:s-smilie:

It must have been a trick question 😂
Hi, I am new to this but what happens if you don't meet the specification of the design task. Because I couldn't think of 2 fruits that are traditionally grown in Britain. How many marks do I lose if I do get penalised for it?
Also, the question with the logos (e.g. Red tractor, gluten free, use by date) was it to link it to sausages becuase that's what everyone was saying when I came out of the exam. In addition, the questions with the food faults (e.g. the greasy Yorkshire pudding) were you meant to suggest how it could be improved?
I am just really worried. Food Tech is the only exam (and maths a bit) so far that I have come out the exam hall feeling really disappointed. I desperately wanted an A* because I worked extremely hard for 2 years on my coursework to get it to an A* grade. - I was the only one out of the 50 people doing Food Tech, that was told that I could get an A* overall based on my coursework- everyone else's grade was too low.
Reply 14
Original post by Cynthia-Ijeoma
Hi, I am new to this but what happens if you don't meet the specification of the design task. Because I couldn't think of 2 fruits that are traditionally grown in Britain. How many marks do I lose if I do get penalised for it?
Also, the question with the logos (e.g. Red tractor, gluten free, use by date) was it to link it to sausages becuase that's what everyone was saying when I came out of the exam. In addition, the questions with the food faults (e.g. the greasy Yorkshire pudding) were you meant to suggest how it could be improved?
I am just really worried. Food Tech is the only exam (and maths a bit) so far that I have come out the exam hall feeling really disappointed. I desperately wanted an A* because I worked extremely hard for 2 years on my coursework to get it to an A* grade. - I was the only one out of the 50 people doing Food Tech, that was told that I could get an A* overall based on my coursework- everyone else's grade was too low.

you will get marks deducted for not including two fruits traditionally grown in Britain as you have to include all the criteria they provide. the logo was question was not linked you just had to say what the logo meant and why it is important to customers. for the fault question you were supposed to state why this happened to the product and solutions i think not sure about solutions. don't worry you will be fine grade boundaries are not too high tbh. hope this helps :smile:
you will get marks deducted for not including two fruits traditionally grown in Britain as you have to include all the criteria they provide. the logo was question was not linked you just had to say what the logo meant and why it is important to customers. for the fault question you were supposed to state why this happened to the product and solutions i think not sure about solutions. don't worry you will be fine grade boundaries are not too high tbh. hope this helps :smile:

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for replying back. Your answer has lifted a massive weight off my shoulder. I was massively disappointed with the design section because I usually always get 10/12 but I won't mind getting 6/12 or above (I really detailed my annotations to make up for the lack of the 2 traditionally British grown fruits.) The design section really messed up my timings because I usually do it last but on exam day I decided to do it first to get it out of the way. BIG Mistake, I spent too long on it causing me to rush some of the questions which is why I don't think I read those questions correctly.
Reply 16
Oh my gosh, thank you so much for replying back. Your answer has lifted a massive weight off my shoulder. I was massively disappointed with the design section because I usually always get 10/12 but I won't mind getting 6/12 or above (I really detailed my annotations to make up for the lack of the 2 traditionally British grown fruits.) The design section really messed up my timings because I usually do it last but on exam day I decided to do it first to get it out of the way. BIG Mistake, I spent too long on it causing me to rush some of the questions which is why I don't think I read those questions correctly.

don't worry you'll be fine! you will only loose 2/3 marks on the design question
don't worry you'll be fine! you will only loose 2/3 marks on the design question

THANK YOU! So much for telling me not to worry because I got an A overall for the exam (I really couldn’t believe it) and an A* overall for GCSE Food Tech (when my course work was added). I was so happy and relieved especially as I was the only 1 out of 60 students to get an A* overall and the first one in my school’s history of food tech to get an A* overall.
(edited 6 years ago)
THANK YOU! So much for telling me not to worry because I got an A overall for the exam (I really couldn’t believe it) and an A* overall for GCSE Food Tech (when my course work was added). I was so happy and relieved especially as I was the only 1 out of 60 students to get an A* overall and the first one in my school’s history of food tech to get an A* overall.

congrats, I got a B

Quick Reply

Latest