The Student Room Group

Communication and Media University of Leeds

Hi,

Just wondering I've recently firmed my course for Leeds Communication and media and just wondering if anyone can tell me anything useful about it? Like have you enjoyed it? Best modules or discovery modules? Also is Leeds a good place to study media? Any info would be great basically as I'm just generally anxious about starting uni and it may help me out

Hi’ i got an offer for the same course this year. How is it going???:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mingaling

Hi! I'm actually thinking of transferring university ahaha, but I'm sure you will love the course, I just fell out of love with it and am thinking of swapping yet don't let me put you off as many of my course mates really enjot it.
Well even i’ve applied for the same course. Why are you planning to swap?

And is the course practical or theoratical? And since you are in touch with media studies n all, hows Newcastle or Loughborough or Westminster for media? (Like maybe u heard things from friends or people around about any of these unis)

Hey good to know someone else has also applied for this course.

Where else have you applied? Or got offers from?
Original post by Tanya1509
Hey good to know someone else has also applied for this course.

Where else have you applied? Or got offers from?

Hi!
I also applied to Goldsmiths, Leeds, Sheffield, Warwick and City London. Fortunately I got offers from all of them so I’m still deciding where to go. I’m interested in the movie industry.
What about you?:smile:
+Hrad

May I also ask why you are planning to transfer as well?
And is the Leeds career service center helpful for getting internships/jobs etc?
Thank youuuuu
Hi!
I also applied to Goldsmiths, Leeds, Sheffield, Warwick and City London. Fortunately I got offers from all of them so I’m still deciding where to go. I’m interested in the movie industry.
What about you?:smile:

Well I applied to Newcastle, Loughborough, Leeds, Cardiff and Westminster. And luckily even i got offers from all. I’m also interested in the movie industry and stuck in the dilemma of which uni to firm.

After reading discussions on many threads, with every one talking about Goldsmiths and City London, now I’m a little doubtful if my choices are good. Well now I can’t do anything about it but well the uncertainties still prevail.

Though thing with me is I’m really interested in film making but I wanted a broader course to keep my options open, do I chose media and comm.

You’ve got pretty great offers, which university are you leaning towards?
Reply 8
Well even i’ve applied for the same course. Why are you planning to swap?

And is the course practical or theoratical? And since you are in touch with media studies n all, hows Newcastle or Loughborough or Westminster for media? (Like maybe u heard things from friends or people around about any of these unis)

I'm actually planning to swap to a joint honours course at Liverpool as the media one at leeds doesnt offer joint honours with history, liverpool also offers the ability to swap the weighting to 25/75 after your first year which is also very appealing to me. I mainly chose history because it offers a lot of factual information which I enjoy learning which the course at Leeds currently doesnt offer me :smile: Also I'd like to keep my options more open in terms of my career path. The course is very very theoretical so wouldnt recommend if you want to go into practical studies such as production! Hope this helped x
Original post by Hrad
I'm actually planning to swap to a joint honours course at Liverpool as the media one at leeds doesnt offer joint honours with history, liverpool also offers the ability to swap the weighting to 25/75 after your first year which is also very appealing to me. I mainly chose history because it offers a lot of factual information which I enjoy learning which the course at Leeds currently doesnt offer me :smile: Also I'd like to keep my options more open in terms of my career path. The course is very very theoretical so wouldnt recommend if you want to go into practical studies such as production! Hope this helped x

Yes it did! Thanks alot. Though I’ve heard even Newcastle offers something like this, its there Combined honours course. Check it out once if u wanna. I actually applied for that as well so that i could get a mix of Media n comm with Documentary practice. Maybe you might find your kind of combo there. (I guess there is one)

Thing is loads of people are recommending Leeds, so I’m still quite confused, but I do want a course with more practical content. Guess I’ll have to sit n weigh down all pros n cons.

Thanks alot! Hope you have a smooth transfer!
Reply 10
Yes it did! Thanks alot. Though I’ve heard even Newcastle offers something like this, its there Combined honours course. Check it out once if u wanna. I actually applied for that as well so that i could get a mix of Media n comm with Documentary practice. Maybe you might find your kind of combo there. (I guess there is one)

Thing is loads of people are recommending Leeds, so I’m still quite confused, but I do want a course with more practical content. Guess I’ll have to sit n weigh down all pros n cons.

Thanks alot! Hope you have a smooth transfer!

Thanks very much for your recommendation, I have actually looked at Newcastle too and although they do offer the same combination of History and Media the modules at Liverpool sound a lot more interesting to me, thankyou anyway though and good luck to you too! I will say a lot of people do absolutely love Leeds and their course its just I unfortuately don't so don't let just me sway your decision. Its best to visit here yourself and see how you feel then
Original post by Hrad
Thanks very much for your recommendation, I have actually looked at Newcastle too and although they do offer the same combination of History and Media the modules at Liverpool sound a lot more interesting to me, thankyou anyway though and good luck to you too! I will say a lot of people do absolutely love Leeds and their course its just I unfortuately don't so don't let just me sway your decision. Its best to visit here yourself and see how you feel then

Oh great! Well hope you enjoy the course in Liverpool!

And thanks! Yes, I won’t base it my decision on one opinion but its good to know all kinds of feedback. I’m an international student, so its hard for me to visit but still I’m trying to see if I get a chance in April. Though still not really sure, if I’ll be able to come. So, I’m mostly relying on reviews from other people 🙈
Reply 12
Oh great! Well hope you enjoy the course in Liverpool!

And thanks! Yes, I won’t base it my decision on one opinion but its good to know all kinds of feedback. I’m an international student, so its hard for me to visit but still I’m trying to see if I get a chance in April. Though still not really sure, if I’ll be able to come. So, I’m mostly relying on reviews from other people 🙈

Oh cool, Leeds has so many international students I'm sure you'd be comfortable here, the course this year has quite a few and theres loads of societies and stuff for different cultures and countries. Good luck with it all
Original post by Hrad
Oh cool, Leeds has so many international students I'm sure you'd be comfortable here, the course this year has quite a few and theres loads of societies and stuff for different cultures and countries. Good luck with it all

Thanks! Leeds seems nice. :smile:
Well I applied to Newcastle, Loughborough, Leeds, Cardiff and Westminster. And luckily even i got offers from all. I’m also interested in the movie industry and stuck in the dilemma of which uni to firm.

After reading discussions on many threads, with every one talking about Goldsmiths and City London, now I’m a little doubtful if my choices are good. Well now I can’t do anything about it but well the uncertainties still prevail.

Though thing with me is I’m really interested in film making but I wanted a broader course to keep my options open, do I chose media and comm.

You’ve got pretty great offers, which university are you leaning towards?

I think I’m leaning towards Goldsmiths. I heard the course is more practical and studying in London (the media hub) is another important factor for me.

I had a hard time deciding too, but I contacted some ppl working in film production companies and they recommended Goldsmiths.
I’m still worried though, so I’ll do more research :frown:

Have you thought about which uni to firm?
Original post by Hrad
Hi,

Just wondering I've recently firmed my course for Leeds Communication and media and just wondering if anyone can tell me anything useful about it? Like have you enjoyed it? Best modules or discovery modules? Also is Leeds a good place to study media? Any info would be great basically as I'm just generally anxious about starting uni and it may help me out

I have also applied for media at uni of Leeds. Hoping to make it my firm soon but I’m still thinking about goldsmiths in London but I’m attending a Leeds applicant day on Wednesday so hopefully this will help me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending