The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Kexgill student rooms

Got my accommodation today in the kexgill student houses/room, first year and don't really know how to feel about it :/ . anyone else in the same boat, was really hoping for getting into the halls

Scroll to see replies

I got kexgill homes too, wasnt my first choice. Really wanted the courtyard
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
exactly the same, really wanted the courtyard, looked amazing
Oh well, more money for takeaways 😂 Are you on auckland avenue?
Reply 4
Original post by stephie998

i think he said something about number 79 so whether that's auckland avenue :? maybe see you there aha!
Reply 5
Original post by CamSloth
Got my accommodation today in the kexgill student houses/room, first year and don't really know how to feel about it :/ . anyone else in the same boat, was really hoping for getting into the halls

Hello, I'm a current first year that has stayed in a Kexgill owned house down Auckland Avenue. :smile: I'll give you my opinion on the houses and what I've heard from others down below :smile: Feel free to ask more questions if you have them!

P.S I can't comment on the houses down Cranbrook. When I looked at a house down Cranbrook during open day it didn't seem that bad. Not as nice as the Auckland ones though in my opinion.

The Houses themselves:
- The houses down Auckland are all pretty nice from my experience. I don't know whether Kexgill will be refurbishing all of the houses (I'm in one that has yet to be refurbished), but refurbed or not they are all nice. The refurbished houses are nicer in my opinion though - I think some are even ensuit, although don't quote me on that!
- Rooms are good quality for the price, especially the larger rooms - So spacious!!! Most rooms have a sink too, but the cheapest rooms don't.
- Downstairs there is a kitchen and a living space where you can talk to your new housemates.
- The houses down Auckland generally house 5 or 6 people.
- There are recycling and general waste bins behind the houses and there is a cleaner will come and clean the house once a week. The cleaner of my house is lovely :smile:

Housemates:
- Honestly it's a luck of the draw what you get. I was very lucky and live in a house of nice people, but I also know others that weren't so lucky. I'd think this would be the same with Halls though.
- I would advise you to go on facebook and try find the freshers and student housing pages for Hull university. Here you can ask whether there's a chat for Auckland Avenue, Cranbrook e.c.t and you can talk to others that will be down the same street. I found several of my housemates this way before I actually met them :smile: Helps to ease the tension a lot!
- Make sure you do put an effort in to talk to them in the first few weeks. I know it might be difficult but you're all in the same situation!

The location of the houses is pretty perfect in my opinion. It's a 5 min walk to campus, and also a 5 min walk to Newland Avenue (Where all the shops are!). The avenue itself is pretty too, with lots of trees and all :smile:

Kexgill:
- Seem to be an ok landlord. They have been quite quick to fix problems we have had, although we didn't have many.
- Are pretty much located at the end of the road, so not hard to get to if you have any queries.
- They gave us a free box of doughnuts not soon after we moved in - Always a plus!
- During freshers they hosted some events such as a barbeque and stuff. Met some lovely people there :smile:
Reply 6

Just a quick heads up, got my contract through my email today/yesterday so check if you're also still waiting!
Original post by Tripizin
Hello, I'm a current first year that has stayed in a Kexgill owned house down Auckland Avenue. :smile: I'll give you my opinion on the houses and what I've heard from others down below :smile: Feel free to ask more questions if you have them!

P.S I can't comment on the houses down Cranbrook. When I looked at a house down Cranbrook during open day it didn't seem that bad. Not as nice as the Auckland ones though in my opinion.

The Houses themselves:
- The houses down Auckland are all pretty nice from my experience. I don't know whether Kexgill will be refurbishing all of the houses (I'm in one that has yet to be refurbished), but refurbed or not they are all nice. The refurbished houses are nicer in my opinion though - I think some are even ensuit, although don't quote me on that!
- Rooms are good quality for the price, especially the larger rooms - So spacious!!! Most rooms have a sink too, but the cheapest rooms don't.
- Downstairs there is a kitchen and a living space where you can talk to your new housemates.
- The houses down Auckland generally house 5 or 6 people.
- There are recycling and general waste bins behind the houses and there is a cleaner will come and clean the house once a week. The cleaner of my house is lovely :smile:

Housemates:
- Honestly it's a luck of the draw what you get. I was very lucky and live in a house of nice people, but I also know others that weren't so lucky. I'd think this would be the same with Halls though.
- I would advise you to go on facebook and try find the freshers and student housing pages for Hull university. Here you can ask whether there's a chat for Auckland Avenue, Cranbrook e.c.t and you can talk to others that will be down the same street. I found several of my housemates this way before I actually met them :smile: Helps to ease the tension a lot!
- Make sure you do put an effort in to talk to them in the first few weeks. I know it might be difficult but you're all in the same situation!

The location of the houses is pretty perfect in my opinion. It's a 5 min walk to campus, and also a 5 min walk to Newland Avenue (Where all the shops are!). The avenue itself is pretty too, with lots of trees and all :smile:

Kexgill:
- Seem to be an ok landlord. They have been quite quick to fix problems we have had, although we didn't have many.
- Are pretty much located at the end of the road, so not hard to get to if you have any queries.
- They gave us a free box of doughnuts not soon after we moved in - Always a plus!
- During freshers they hosted some events such as a barbeque and stuff. Met some lovely people there :smile:

What's the parking like on Auckland Avenue?
Original post by MrNobody123

Where are you planning on driving from? I've been wondering whether to drive or not because im moving like 200 miles up the country. Trying to find someone i can car share with like to get home or nearby and share petrol
Reply 9

The parking on the actual street is fairly limited, I won't lie, however there is enough space for a car or two behind each house. I can take a picture when I go back to my house next month, if you like :smile:
Original post by Tripizin
The parking on the actual street is fairly limited, I won't lie, however there is enough space for a car or two behind each house. I can take a picture when I go back to my house next month, if you like :smile:

That would be great, thanks. Is the back of each house easily accessible?
Where are you planning on driving from? I've been wondering whether to drive or not because im moving like 200 miles up the country. Trying to find someone i can car share with like to get home or nearby and share petrol

It'll be from the north
There's a group chat on facebook of kexgill homes students trying to find housemates if you'd like me to add you?
There's a group chat on facebook of kexgill homes students trying to find housemates if you'd like me to add you?

Hi,

What is the Facebook group called?

Thanks!
Reply 14
Also interested thank you!
Original post by Shannonx757
Hi,

What is the Facebook group called?

Thanks!

The group chat is called student housing
That would be great, thanks. Is the back of each house easily accessible?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Fairly easy to access, there's a small drive-through space off the street. Here're the photos of behind the houses.
Is anyone living on Auckland Avenue? What number? I'm 38 :smile:
Heya,

I am still on the hunt for accommodation. I came across Kexgill over the weekend but their website does not list rent costs. I tried to ring them but bank holiday etc so they're closed. Could anyone please let me how much rent for Kexgill is please? Did you have to pay deposit or any upfront rent fee? If so, How much please?
Reply 19
Original post by Ahnyla Grace
Heya,

I am still on the hunt for accommodation. I came across Kexgill over the weekend but their website does not list rent costs. I tried to ring them but bank holiday etc so they're closed. Could anyone please let me how much rent for Kexgill is please? Did you have to pay deposit or any upfront rent fee? If so, How much please?

Their prices vary. I'll be living in "the trees" which are flats close to Lidl. I'm paying £105 a week for a double bed with en-suite. I doubt they're still available but you could give it a go.

They also own houses to-let. The houses tend to be a bit cheaper, depending whether it has en-suite or not. And yes, deposit was necessary. Its £200 deposit plus £75 insurance that I'd advise you to take in case you end up not liking your housemates, you can easily move elsewhere without needing to uphold the contract. I don't know what year you are or anything, but if you're anywhere near second year, I'd advise you to sort it out as soon as possible. You do not want to end up in a house with foundation years/first years. (Experienced it).

If you don't get Kexgill, there are others you could choose from. You could e-mail the person at university and ask if they could sort something out for you. Specify your needs and perhaps they may be able to help you out.

But avoid GPL at all costs. The landlord is horrible.

Avoid houses without students, your "student life" is going to be in the gutters.

Try to stay near university if you can, but there are lots of properties in Hull centre that you can take a look at.

I can think of one that still had a spot around this time last year, however they are a bit pricey. They're called The townhouse. Great living if you can afford it, has a theater room and everything. Went to see it one time and the guy's room has more yeezys than I had fingers in my hand. But nice place.

You could TRY ashcourt but I'm pretty sure they're sold out. Their rooms usually get sold out by november but no harm trying!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest