The Student Room Group

Is it ok to use logs at GCSE maths?

Quite an enthusiastic student in maths and learnt how to use logs in my own time. Sometimes it is relevant to use in GCSE questions. Is this ok or will I lose marks?
Actually you can use it to work out the exponent from an exponential expression and it's very useful indeed. You can most of the time, use it as a short cut, rather than tediously using y=ka^x

I'm sure you won't be marked down if your method works
Reply 2
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
Actually you can use it to work out the exponent from an exponential expression and it's very useful indeed. You can most of the time, use it as a short cut, rather than tediously using y=ka^x

I'm sure you won't be marked down if your method works

Yeah exactly my thoughts, like for example you can sometimes get compound interest questions where you have to work out the number of years it was invested and multiplying over and over just isn't very interesting.
Original post by Shej11
Quite an enthusiastic student in maths and learnt how to use logs in my own time. Sometimes it is relevant to use in GCSE questions. Is this ok or will I lose marks?

As long as you are getting the right answer, I don't see why not...
What are logs used for anyways?
Reply 4
Original post by Shej11
Yeah exactly my thoughts, like for example you can sometimes get compound interest questions where you have to work out the number of years it was invested and multiplying over and over just isn't very interesting.

AQA itself has stated that the GCSE's are not like KS3. They said that as long as the student has a proper methodology, which will give a valid answer, then it's accepted. Hence, Log is accepted. However if it specifically tells u to use a method, u must use that.

I've used formulas like the graph distance formulas in my exams before and it isn't a problem. What exam board do you do?
Reply 5
Some advice I was given before was: if you want to use a different method and you get the answer correct, you'll probably be fine, but problems may arise if you use a different method and make a mistake (say just some arithmetic issue). The reason for this is mark schemes show markers which stages of calculation get however many marks. If you do something completely different and make a small mistake, some markers may just give you zero for the whole question if they can't see how else to allocate marks (I don't know what they're actually supposed to do in this case, maybe they'd check alternate methods).

What I'd probably do is use whatever method you find fastest (in this case I guess it'll be using logs), then finish the rest of the paper, and then if you have time go back and check your answer with the method taught on the GCSE course, just to cover all bases.

Well done for being so keen and studying outside the scope of your course :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Telllo
Some advice I was given before was: if you want to use a different method and you get the answer correct, you'll probably be fine, but problems may arise if you use a different method and make a mistake (say just some arithmetic issue). The reason for this is mark schemes show markers which stages of calculation get however many marks. If you do something completely different and make a small mistake, some markers may just give you zero for the whole question if they can't see how else to allocate marks (I don't know what they're actually supposed to do in this case, maybe they'd check alternate methods).

What I'd probably do is use whatever method you find fastest (in this case I guess it'll be using logs), then finish the rest of the paper, and then if you have time go back and check your answer with the method taught on the GCSE course, just to cover all bases.

Well done for being so keen and studying outside the scope of your course :smile:

what exam board do u do?
Reply 7
Original post by Pretish
AQA itself has stated that the GCSE's are not like KS3. They said that as long as the student has a proper methodology, which will give a valid answer, then it's accepted. Hence, Log is accepted. However if it specifically tells u to use a method, u must use that.

I've used formulas like the graph distance formulas in my exams before and it isn't a problem. What exam board do you do?

Good point! I do edexcel
Reply 8
Original post by Telllo

Yes I can see how issues can arise here. However since it is only the calculator papers coming up it is quite quick and easy to check answers like these!
Reply 9
Original post by haseeb_jarral786
As long as you are getting the right answer, I don't see why not...
What are logs used for anyways?

I think if you have x^n=y and you know x and y then it will give you n
Original post by Shej11
I think if you have x^n=y and you know x and y then it will give you n

If xn = y
Would it be logx(y) = n ???
Reply 11
If xn = y

Not quite sure, I thought it did but then I had one example that threw me off! But what definetly works is log(y)/log(x). Try it on a few examples, it will work!
Reply 12
If xn = y

On trying a few more I think this is correct
OCR say you only get the final marks if you show working, so no working = 0 marks even with the right answer
Reply 14
Original post by Shej11
On trying a few more I think this is correct

I was putting in the wrong way around 😅
Reply 15
Original post by Shej11

As long as you use them correctly then yes you can use them. But no GCSE questions require logs so always think before you use them if the method using logs is valid and faster.

There's no need to complicate a simple question by using logs just because you like using them.

Do you have an example GCSE question where you would use logs to answer it?
Reply 16
If xn = y

yeh that works or if you want to solve for n you can log both sides
xn = y
log x^n=log y
n log X=log y ( rule you learn at a level, you can bring the power down)
n=(log y)/(log x)
log on its own is log with base 10 (log with small 10)

Quick Reply

Latest