The Student Room Group

Should paternity testing be compulsory in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
I don't oppose it. I just said that they should pay for it themselves.

So poorer dads dont get the right to know if they are 100% the dad, poor mums shouldnt know if they are given the right baby by a hospital then, not 100%
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
So poorer dads dont get the right to know if they are 100% the dad, poor mums shouldnt know if they are given the right baby by a hospital then, not 100%

If you're so poor that you can't afford a paternity test then why are you having a baby? If you think that a one off payment of £99 is too expensive then you're in for a real treat.
I think there should be a system within hospitals where fathers can get the test done without the mother knowing just for peace of mind for them as the mum will 100% know that that is her child so man should have the same

The mum may not know 100%. She will know who she has slept with, but if its more than one then there is no guarantee she will know which one.

A man would be able to get a DNA test done easily if he suspects. He can get one if he wants one. I dont agree you should force one on them if they do not.
poor mums shouldnt know if they are given the right baby by a hospital then, not 100%

If a woman suspects that she's been given the wrong child, she should pay for a maternity test too
Original post by ChrisW99
But as others have pointed out how do men approach this with their wives and partners?

Doing it on the sly or actually discussing it? By asking you are basically making an accusation of infidelity which is obviously hurtful.

They ask if they have a doubt. If you cant trust your partner then you are pretty much going to destroy the marriage anyway no matter what the result.

Its only in 4% of cases so why should the other 96% have to waste their time?

The true parent of a child is pretty much the people who raise it and not just who is biological. Half of the DNA tests are done by the CSA by fathers who avoided such a test and wont take responsibility.
Nah. I'll stick with the old "guarantee" of marriage. I am happy to trust. If she is an adulteress and the child is not mine, I'd rater not know. There is more pain in finding out.
Original post by stefano865
From previous page...

Well that's the difficult part.

You get the most accurate result with DNA from both parents. In France and Germany i think it is illegal to do a test unofficially without the mother's agreement.

It is difficult for men to raise this subject with wives/partners because of the implications of course.

Also would girls like it if it was done behind their backs?

Making it compulsory would remove these issues.

Well sure. If we're in a committed relationship and you want a paternity test, why are we even together?
It shouldnt be done behind their backs. If she lists him as the child's father on the birth certificate then he should not need her permission, agreement or co-operation. If she has nothing to hide, she won't put up a fight
Not compulsory.
But if they want or doubt anything, they should have it for free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a woman suspects that she's been given the wrong child, she should pay for a maternity test too

That is fair, but what are the odds of that happening, way less than man falsely thinking that that is his child
Original post by 999tigger
The mum may not know 100%. She will know who she has slept with, but if its more than one then there is no guarantee she will know which one.

A man would be able to get a DNA test done easily if he suspects. He can get one if he wants one. I dont agree you should force one on them if they do not.

I am saying that a mum will always know that she is the mum, dad should have same courtesy
If you're so poor that you can't afford a paternity test then why are you having a baby? If you think that a one off payment of £99 is too expensive then you're in for a real treat.

1-some babies are accidents, abortion may not sit well with people
2- expecting parents save money for child, less likely to spend 100 on test when they could feed baby for a month with that
I am saying that a mum will always know that she is the mum, dad should have same courtesy

I am saying she wont always know. As explained.

Its up to the couple if they want paternity tests I disagree on it being forced on them, especially as its only a 4% chance.
Reply 52
Original post by stefano865
Well that's the difficult part.

You get the most accurate result with DNA from both parents. In France and Germany i think it is illegal to do a test unofficially without the mother's agreement.

It is difficult for men to raise this subject with wives/partners because of the implications of course.

Also would girls like it if it was done behind their backs?

Making it compulsory would remove these issues.

Ok fair enough but only AFTER the baby is born.
That is fair, but what are the odds of that happening, way less than man falsely thinking that that is his child

The odds of either are extremely low. If it was a common then I'd say yeah it should be available on the NHS, but being that it's so rare, it's a waste of money
Original post by Sternumator
Nah. I'll stick with the old "guarantee" of marriage. I am happy to trust. If she is an adulteress and the child is not mine, I'd rater not know. There is more pain in finding out.

WTF :yikes:
1-some babies are accidents, abortion may not sit well with people
2- expecting parents save money for child, less likely to spend 100 on test when they could feed baby for a month with that

Then perhaps low income households should get it free or at a reduced price. There are way too many babies born to be offering free paternity tests to everyone
They ask if they have a doubt. If you cant trust your partner then you are pretty much going to destroy the marriage anyway no matter what the result.

Its only in 4% of cases so why should the other 96% have to waste their time?

The true parent of a child is pretty much the people who raise it and not just who is biological. Half of the DNA tests are done by the CSA by fathers who avoided such a test and wont take responsibility.

Agree.

But in this context only feminists and cuckolds hold this viewpoint.
I am saying she wont always know. As explained.

Its up to the couple if they want paternity tests I disagree on it being forced on them, especially as its only a 4% chance.

I dont understand- when will the mum not know if the baby that came out of her is not hers ( other than when hospital switches happen)
I dont understand- when will the mum not know if the baby that came out of her is not hers ( other than when hospital switches happen)

Lets say the mother has been having an affair plus still sleeping with her husband. She could be pregnant by either and not know who she has conceived with.
Well sure. If we're in a committed relationship and you want a paternity test, why are we even together?
It shouldnt be done behind their backs. If she lists him as the child's father on the birth certificate then he should not need her permission, agreement or co-operation. If she has nothing to hide, she won't put up a fight

Because I deserve the same certainty that you have.

Should I place my entire life in your hands? All I ultimately have is your word.

People cheat, people lie, and people screw each other over in divorce - after swearing they will love each other till the end.

The test is an act of self preservation that could save unimaginable devastation further down the line. Not romantic but sometimes we have to be savvy and realistic too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending