The Student Room Group

S1 or M2?

So I've been told that M2 is ridiculously hard and people have suggested that I don't do it and do S1 instead. But what I want to know is if I can do S1 in January and S2 in June. Would that be advisable? Because I really want to do S2 if I'm going to take stats instead of continuing with mechanics.
Original post by Samuel.M20
So I've been told that M2 is ridiculously hard and people have suggested that I don't do it and do S1 instead. But what I want to know is if I can do S1 in January and S2 in June. Would that be advisable? Because I really want to do S2 if I'm going to take stats instead of continuing with mechanics.

Yes if you doing international A level, no if you are doing A level in England, no idea if you are doing WJEC in Wales or CCEA in NI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm doing international A level

Definitely do s1. I've done S1, S2, M2, and M3. And from experience I can tell you stats is much much easier than the mechanics modules. In fact, I regret not taking S3 in many respects. On the whole S1 is fairly simple, and in my opinion doesn't really go far beyond IGCSE level. The only tricky bits is getting the wording right. Also if you did the FSMQ then you'll find S1 to be very very easy indeed.
Reply 4
Original post by aeroline1999
Definitely do s1. I've done S1, S2, M2, and M3. And from experience I can tell you stats is much much easier than the mechanics modules. In fact, I regret not taking S3 in many respects. On the whole S1 is fairly simple, and in my opinion doesn't really go far beyond IGCSE level. The only tricky bits is getting the wording right. Also if you did the FSMQ then you'll find S1 to be very very easy indeed.

But the thing Is, I want to do computer engineering in uni and all they say that they require is A level maths. So I don't know whether I should do S1 and S2 all in one year or just continue with M2
(edited 6 years ago)
But the thing Is, I want to do computer engineering in uni and all they require is A level maths. So I don't know whether I should do S1 and S2 all in one year or just continue with M2

If you want to do computer engineering then I would suggest doing D1. I say I would suggest it, I did it, and its awful, so maybe not.

S1 you can pretty much teach yourself, and if you get a good revision guide you can probably teach S2 to yourself as well. Unless you are very good at mechanics, I would avoid it. Even people who are very good at mechanics tend to agree with me that Stats is easier. That said, if you do A-Level Physics, you'll cover all of M2 and most of M3 anyway, although naturally the questions they give you in physics are much easier and you don't need to learn all the equations.

Long story short, I would definitely advice that you do S1 and S2.
Reply 6
Original post by aeroline1999
If you want to do computer engineering then I would suggest doing D1. I say I would suggest it, I did it, and its awful, so maybe not.

S1 you can pretty much teach yourself, and if you get a good revision guide you can probably teach S2 to yourself as well. Unless you are very good at mechanics, I would avoid it. Even people who are very good at mechanics tend to agree with me that Stats is easier. That said, if you do A-Level Physics, you'll cover all of M2 and most of M3 anyway, although naturally the questions they give you in physics are much easier and you don't need to learn all the equations.

Long story short, I would definitely advice that you do S1 and S2.

Alright thanks
Mechanics is normally fine if you're good at physics.

Quick Reply