The Student Room Group

best PAYG bundles?

hey!

I've recently purchased an iPhone 6 & was not sure what network to join and what are the best PAYG bundles are out there?

the main priority for me would be as much data as possible, preferably unlimited 4G. In terms of minutes as texts, as much as possible would be ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
hey!

I've recently purchased an iPhone 6 & was not sure what network to join and what are the best PAYG bundles are out there?

the main priority for me would be as much data as possible, preferably unlimited 4G. In terms of minutes as texts, as much as possible would be ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it PAYG specifically that you want, or are you also open to SIM-only monthly plans?
Also depends on what you're thinking you could use. Smartphones tend to mean data-heavy use so are you expecting to use data on PAYG/Sim only or not?
Reply 3
PAYG, at the moment I'm considering giffgaffs £20 top-up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
Also depends on what you're thinking you could use. Smartphones tend to mean data-heavy use so are you expecting to use data on PAYG/Sim only or not?

I would think that I would be using a lot of data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by bhfn
I would think that I would be using a lot of data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giffgaff isn't really a true PAYG provider.

If you're looking at a max budget of around £20 a month - you might as well go Sim-Only... I'd recommend Virgin Media at the moment as they are offering double data and tend to be quite cheap: http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Which should give you the data you need plus enough minutes and texts to sink a battleship for £13/£15 a month.

Plus it's a 30 day contract so you could do it for a month then increase/drop your data/contract costs as required,.
Reply 6
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
Giffgaff isn't really a true PAYG provider.

If you're looking at a max budget of around £20 a month - you might as well go Sim-Only... I'd recommend Virgin Media at the moment as they are offering double data and tend to be quite cheap: http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Which should give you the data you need plus enough minutes and texts to sink a battleship for £13/£15 a month.

Plus it's a 30 day contract so you could do it for a month then increase/drop your data/contract costs as required,.

I was thinking about it but I wasn't so sure because I won't be needing £20 worth of top-up. I only need the top-up for this month & August. I was hoping to only purchase a bundle for those two months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I was thinking about it but I wasn't so sure because I won't be needing £20 worth of top-up. I only need the top-up for this month & August. I was hoping to only purchase a bundle for those two months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine - you'd cancel it after the first month renewed so you'd only use it for those 2 months. It's a way of saving a little bit of money at least
Original post by bhfn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Giffgaff's £20 would be a good choice if you do need a reasonable amount of data, but it isn't unlimited. It's marketed as "Always On", meaning 6GB at full speed, followed by an unspecified amount at a lower speed. Most of the time, you'll always have a data connection (hence Always On), but you can be blocked from getting the £20 package if you over-use the resources.
I would guess that a safe amount to use on the Giffgaff £20 package would be approx. 10GB (6GB at full speed and 4GB at a slower speed).
If you need more than this, on Pay As You Go (I wouldn't risk more than 10GB on the Always On), then Three do an "All-in-1 £20" add on which gives 12GB data, or an "All-in-1 £25" which gives truly unlimited data.
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs

Other PAYG providers are more expensive & I wouldn't consider a 30 day "contract" from one of the main suppliers, as you'd then have to cancel afterwards and it would potentially be more hassle. With Giffgaff, you can just close the SIM (and remove your payment details etc) after the required length of time; with Three you can also manage your stuff online as well, so (especially with the purchase of an All-in-1 add-on) you can just leave the SIM idle when you don't need it.

Though I would definitely consider how much data etc you would need - if you need less, then Giffgaff's lower packages would be ideal.
Reply 9
Original post by spotify95
Hey,

Giffgaff's £20 would be a good choice if you do need a reasonable amount of data, but it isn't unlimited. It's marketed as "Always On", meaning 6GB at full speed, followed by an unspecified amount at a lower speed. Most of the time, you'll always have a data connection (hence Always On), but you can be blocked from getting the £20 package if you over-use the resources.
I would guess that a safe amount to use on the Giffgaff £20 package would be approx. 10GB (6GB at full speed and 4GB at a slower speed).
If you need more than this, on Pay As You Go (I wouldn't risk more than 10GB on the Always On), then Three do an "All-in-1 £20" add on which gives 12GB data, or an "All-in-1 £25" which gives truly unlimited data.
http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs

Other PAYG providers are more expensive & I wouldn't consider a 30 day "contract" from one of the main suppliers, as you'd then have to cancel afterwards and it would potentially be more hassle. With Giffgaff, you can just close the SIM (and remove your payment details etc) after the required length of time; with Three you can also manage your stuff online as well, so (especially with the purchase of an All-in-1 add-on) you can just leave the SIM idle when you don't need it.

Though I would definitely consider how much data etc you would need - if you need less, then Giffgaff's lower packages would be ideal.

I actually ended up going for EE, £15 top-up got me 12GB 4G data, 500 minutes & unlimited texts.

I changed my mind about 4G after hearing so many complaints about how slow the 4G connection is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I actually ended up going for EE, £15 top-up got me 12GB 4G data, 500 minutes & unlimited texts.

I changed my mind about 4G after hearing so many complaints about how slow the 4G connection is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome stuff! Yep, I'd also recommend EE (more so on longer term deals - for shorter deals, I'd recommend one of the networks that it's easy to cancel/change at short notice); my main SIM is with EE and for just over £21 per month I am getting 16GB data with U/L calls and texts. EE's network, for both 3G and 4G, is fast enough for most things (and in some cases, faster than what I have at home).

I guess you mean Giffgaff? Yeah, that's the only issue with Giffgaff, their data speeds (3G and 4G) aren't great, my local O2 mast only gives 4Mbps on Giffgaff (either 3G or 4G). It's due to how O2 have their network set up. The £20 goodybag/package needs more clarification as well (in my opinion), as to what you can/can't use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending