The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Hertfordshire,oxford brookes or coventry ..help please!

hi I am 30 and going to begin studying International Tourism and Hospitality Msc probably at one of these unis. Which one is better in respect to modern buildings and facilities, education, fun and scenic location. I am a foreign student and first time would going away from home, so I am looking for an overall nice experience and a degree that would be decent enough to land me a related job somewhere.
The course would be a year long. I am not an exceptional student , I consider my self average academically back home.
I have also applied at uni of surrey and heard good things about it..fingers crossed haven't got the offer yet. For now help me choose between Hertfordshire,oxford brookes and Coventry...
Original post by NOBLE_NABEEL
hi I am 30 and going to begin studying International Tourism and Hospitality Msc probably at one of these unis. Which one is better in respect to modern buildings and facilities, education, fun and scenic location. I am a foreign student and first time would going away from home, so I am looking for an overall nice experience and a degree that would be decent enough to land me a related job somewhere.
The course would be a year long. I am not an exceptional student , I consider my self average academically back home.
I have also applied at uni of surrey and heard good things about it..fingers crossed haven't got the offer yet. For now help me choose between Hertfordshire,oxford brookes and Coventry...

I'll move this over to the unis forum for you, but have a look at the course content for each one as they can vary quite a bit at postgrad level. I've not been to any of those but hertfordshire and oxford brookes from what I've heard are nice, I'm not sure how modern though. Coventry as a city isn't particularly nice, I can't comment on the uni though so that could be amazing! Have a look round their websites and things and see what you can see- there's normally plenty of pictures of buildings and facilities there for prospective students to see. Surrey I have been to and really liked, although didn't actually apply there, expensive though. Hopefully you'll get some more replies from people that know a bit more about them anyway :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Thanks...but I have seen all I can on the internet now I need reviews from people who know something or have been there...thanks allot though...still hoping for surrey but seems unlikely considering my academic record isn't good but merely decent enough that got me through
Hey Noble_Nabeel,

I thought I'd reply and give you some general information about Hertfordshire University.

Regarding modern buildings and facilities. I can certainly recommend Hertfordshire. There are two campuses (De Havilland and College Lane), but I believe you'll be studying on De Havilland for your chosen course.
Both feature pretty modern buildings and facilities and newly built accommodation. In addition College lane has a dedicated Entertainment venue called the forum and De Havilland has numerous sports facilities such as a gym, pool and tennis courts.

Regarding location. Both campuses are located in Hatfield. There are good links to London and a large shopping center/cinema is located a short walk away from De Havilland campus. While Hatfield town center itself can be a little boring, the Galleria has plenty of shops and with a quick train or bus ride you can be in St Albans or Central London.

Finally, regarding education. While I haven't studied Tourism myself. I've found the staff on my MA to be pretty supportive and helpful.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

All the best,

David
Reply 4
Original post by David Trebus
Hey Noble_Nabeel,

I thought I'd reply and give you some general information about Hertfordshire University.

Regarding modern buildings and facilities. I can certainly recommend Hertfordshire. There are two campuses (De Havilland and College Lane), but I believe you'll be studying on De Havilland for your chosen course.
Both feature pretty modern buildings and facilities and newly built accommodation. In addition College lane has a dedicated Entertainment venue called the forum and De Havilland has numerous sports facilities such as a gym, pool and tennis courts.

Regarding location. Both campuses are located in Hatfield. There are good links to London and a large shopping center/cinema is located a short walk away from De Havilland campus. While Hatfield town center itself can be a little boring, the Galleria has plenty of shops and with a quick train or bus ride you can be in St Albans or Central London.

Finally, regarding education. While I haven't studied Tourism myself. I've found the staff on my MA to be pretty supportive and helpful.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

All the best,

David

Thanks David. As a foreigner I want my experience to be the best it can be for my year and want to make a good decision.
No problems!

I hope whatever University you choose to study at you have a great experience!
Original post by NOBLE_NABEEL

Hi Noble_Nabeel,

Thanks for your post. Hopefully I can tell you a few things about Oxford Brookes that will help!

Studying International Tourism and Hospitality you will be studying on our main Headington Campus which has just had a 34 million pound refurbishment! It will have brand new classrooms and a main hall to host lectures and events. You can also download our Virtual Reality App so you can take a tour of the campus fro your home!

Here is a pic of the Abercrombie building which I think looks amazing!
8850.jpg

The Headington site is about a 20 min walk (or 5 min bus) to the city centre. Oxford is an absolutely beautiful city with lots of parks and green spaces. On the other hand there are loads of bars, historic pubs, clubs, restaurants and music venues so you will never be short of things to do! :h::banana:
Attachment not found

Oxford is also an amazing place for international students as Oxford regards itself as a multicultural city. We have the Cowley Road Carnival every year which celebrates the ethnic diversity of the city with a huge celebration including music, dance and food from all over the world!

I graduated from Brookes last year but I wish I could go back and do it all over again! I'm sure which ever Uni you choose will be the right one for you. All the best of luck with your search! Sophie :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest