The Student Room Group

AQA A2 GEOG4a EXAM DISCUSSION, 09/05/17

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please educate me on GIS and remote sensing (for dummies), and also what can i say about the suitability of kite diagrams like advantages and disadvantages.
Reply 21
Could someone explain this question to me? I'm struggling to understand what i need to write in order to answer it.
'Explain how your investigation is related to geographical theory'
Original post by KT44
Could someone explain this question to me? I'm struggling to understand what i need to write in order to answer it.

So you need to talk about a theory you fieldwork relates to. So for mine i did rivers and i looked at brads haws model. To see if my rivers patterns were the same.
Reply 23
How would you answer the - 'how does this technique help your geographical understanding' - sorta questions?

e.g. statistical or cartographic
what is 'geographical understanding' eg how graphical techniques improve geographical understanding?
Original post by tmifan
How would you answer the - 'how does this technique help your geographical understanding' - sorta questions?

e.g. statistical or cartographic

yeh i'm wondering what it means by geographical understanding!
What does it mean by describe its relevance and what would i write for it if I did a river fieldwork "Describe one method of data collection and describe its relevance"
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by henry1823
What does it mean by describe its relevance and what would i write for it if I did a river fieldwork "Describe one method of data collection and describe its relevance"

so you'd desribe what you did and then say how this is relevant to your hypothesis and theory
Original post by daniiiiiii
what is 'geographical understanding' eg how graphical techniques improve geographical understanding?

Its the ability to identify spatial relationships and trends in geographical studies.
So in terms of graphical techniques, how do these skills help you identify patterns and trends from your experience in geography, using examples to help
(edited 6 years ago)
Can you give the other points as I have never seen this question before and struggling to think of anything else.

Can be used by hydrologists and by flood defence authorities, and that's all I've got

For relevance you need to talk about what you did and why and how it aided in proving your hypothesis/aims. For example we used a river in a national park so there would be little human interference and the river would be in its natural state, so our results would be more accurate when comparing to the Bradshaw Model. This means that using this river is relevant to our aim as it allows us to collect reliable results.

And for data collection we measured the velocity using a flow meter and measured the size of bedload, I can give you more info if you used one?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KT44

That's usually the what your investigation is based on... so you'd have an aim and supposedly your aim is based on a model or models which go by a theory.
Original post by melinalouise
Not sure how relevant these will be because we did a river study but:
-Could be used as secondary data by other colleges/ field study councils
-Beneficial for land use planners
-Useful for conversationalists, land use planners and RSPB (our river was in a national park)
-Environmentalists could use the data
These are the only ones that may be useful as the others are all about rivers, sorry :frown:

heyy!! what other points did you make related to rivers?? (our fieldwork was also based on a river)
Original post by fantanotbanta
heyy!! what other points did you make related to rivers?? (our fieldwork was also based on a river)

Just that it can be used by hydrologists and flood defence planners
Any general predictions for questions tomorrow?
Based on past papers, I'm guessing that there will possibly be a question regarding secondary data, and possibly a question about the relevance of our work to geographers.
Data collection has come up a few years in a row now, so not sure I see it returning...
In statistical tests, what does it mean by 'statistical significance'?
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi will we be required to draw or fill in any of these data presentation techniques?

probably not, more likely to assess the results
Original post by daniiiiiii
In statistical tests, what does it mean by 'statistical significance'?

It's the likelihood that the relationship between your variables is not due to chance. So for example if your spearman's rank value is above the critical value at 0.05 significance then the null hypothesis is rejected and the experimental accepted, so this means the relationship is 95% significant and not due to chance.
Section B will be the death of me.
Reply 39
What does it mean by how a technique (so data presentation) aids interpretation of the data? Im so confused sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending