The Student Room Group

Help?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AZ1995
They did say it was an academic irregularity.. to what extent I'm not too sure.. as it's my first offence do you know what the worst case scenario is as I don't wanna be dissapointed on the day of the panel meeting

Look, if you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to worry about. I think this has little to do with you, and more to do with your tutor. If it were to do with you, you would have been dragged in and given a *******ing by your tutor who would probably tell you to re write your assignment. This is an internal concern...probably to do with under/over marking, or off topic teaching...There is nothing to worry about. cheating is handled in another way.
Reply 21
Okay guys so I had an email containing 4 documents, one was an agreement to say I'll attend the meeting (which I will) one was the copy of my assignment with the turn it in attatchment (69% similarity) - with 47% being these 5 pages of documents we HAVE to put at the beginning of every assignment.. the reason they have stated it has been pulled up, is because of these 3 paragraphs which they have said have matched this site.. now when you copy and paste this address into the internet.. there is a weird website that cokes up that is to do with business and doesn't contain any educational information.. I have notes on all these paragraphs and also some are just common sense that you've been taught "GCSEs and alevels in schools are the main measure of educational attainment"

I am definitely less worried than I was before as I now know.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and support :smile:
Original post by AZ1995
Okay guys so I had an email containing 4 documents, one was an agreement to say I'll attend the meeting (which I will) one was the copy of my assignment with the turn it in attatchment (69% similarity) - with 47% being these 5 pages of documents we HAVE to put at the beginning of every assignment.. the reason they have stated it has been pulled up, is because of these 3 paragraphs which they have said have matched this site.. now when you copy and paste this address into the internet.. there is a weird website that cokes up that is to do with business and doesn't contain any educational information.. I have notes on all these paragraphs and also some are just common sense that you've been taught "GCSEs and alevels in schools are the main measure of educational attainment"

I am definitely less worried than I was before as I now know.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and support :smile:

So it seems you are getting somewhere and id rather just have known from the outset. Its quite hard to comment without sight of the website and bit they are saying you plagiairised.

Did you ever visit this site?

Looks like your argument is that it is coincidence and you used your notes plus general knowledge as the actual educational input was minimal by the site and generic. the information was also contained in your notes and other websites which you have credited.

Go and see the su advisor again and get their opinion. You are at the advantage because you know what it looks like. It is a high match, but turnitin isnt the be all and end all.

If its as generic as you say then draw up a table covering each of the points in each of the paragraphs and identify where that point could have come from in your notes or other articles you referenced.

If you have already studied at GCSE and GCE, then you can id bits of knowledge that you knew already.

If you prepare carefully and in detail then you can raise enough doubt in their minds. Dont just accept what they say, but create a credible alternative. You can point out you have been a 2:2 student and you are diligent but nothing spectacular. there would be no reason for you to take the risk.

That said if it matches word for word and in the order it is presented in the article then you have a bigger problem.

The better your defence, then even if they dont believe you I think it will veer you towards the lesser punishment, which would be a warning.

I dont think you should go in there in a panic or admit to any wrongdoing. You should know the rules on plagiairism though. they are probably online.
Original post by AZ1995
Yeah they've said plagiarism but I'm not sure to what extent, whether it's a small amount or a substantial amount.. my lecturer use daily info on his slides which I made notes on and then used in my assignment but he didn't provide references most of the time for the info he used.. this assignment was one of the Ines I was most confident about.. I had a draft I showed the lecturer and was one of the only ones to do so. I had no reason to copy anything from anywhere

It appears you've been rumbled. You will have to re-write, or improve, your assignment. Take someone into the meeting with you and admit to nothing. Argue the toss about any cheating and put the blame on the tutors for guiding the assignments too closely. I know this sounds nasty, but they will hang you out to dry if they can, to make an example of you to others. Just say that you haven't copied, and that it is merely a coincidence if the essay is similar to any other material. Proving plagiarism is very difficult to do, and they rely on people owning up. Just make sure your future essays are all your own. After this settles, put in a complaint about being victimised...the best form of defence...is attack...
Reply 24
Original post by 999tigger
So it seems you are getting somewhere and id rather just have known from the outset. Its quite hard to comment without sight of the website and bit they are saying you plagiairised.

Did you ever visit this site?

Looks like your argument is that it is coincidence and you used your notes plus general knowledge as the actual educational input was minimal by the site and generic. the information was also contained in your notes and other websites which you have credited.

Go and see the su advisor again and get their opinion. You are at the advantage because you know what it looks like. It is a high match, but turnitin isnt the be all and end all.

If its as generic as you say then draw up a table covering each of the points in each of the paragraphs and identify where that point could have come from in your notes or other articles you referenced.

If you have already studied at GCSE and GCE, then you can id bits of knowledge that you knew already.

If you prepare carefully and in detail then you can raise enough doubt in their minds. Dont just accept what they say, but create a credible alternative. You can point out you have been a 2:2 student and you are diligent but nothing spectacular. there would be no reason for you to take the risk.

That said if it matches word for word and in the order it is presented in the article then you have a bigger problem.

The better your defence, then even if they dont believe you I think it will veer you towards the lesser punishment, which would be a warning.

I dont think you should go in there in a panic or admit to any wrongdoing. You should know the rules on plagiairism though. they are probably online.

Okay so the site they're saying I 'copied' off is basically non existent.. when I checked that link following the turn it in report. It was like a fake website you get when you type the wrong address in the address bar on the internet..

I will get my notes together from this module and some btec health and social care notes I got this information from, I understand this is university and it's serious but a bit too much? I feel a lot better knowing what it is and how I defend myself!
Reply 25
Original post by binkyboobosh
It appears you've been rumbled. You will have to re-write, or improve, your assignment. Take someone into the meeting with you and admit to nothing. Argue the toss about any cheating and put the blame on the tutors for guiding the assignments too closely. I know this sounds nasty, but they will hang you out to dry if they can, to make an example of you to others. Just say that you haven't copied, and that it is merely a coincidence if the essay is similar to any other material. Proving plagiarism is very difficult to do, and they rely on people owning up. Just make sure your future essays are all your own. After this settles, put in a complaint about being victimised...the best form of defence...is attack...

I will deffo be writing a complaint in regards to how long they've had me waiting and a lack of communication but I don't mind arguing my defence as I haven't copied anything from anywhere and I have notes from my past educational experiences which I have proof of
Original post by AZ1995
Okay so the site they're saying I 'copied' off is basically non existent.. when I checked that link following the turn it in report. It was like a fake website you get when you type the wrong address in the address bar on the internet..

I will get my notes together from this module and some btec health and social care notes I got this information from, I understand this is university and it's serious but a bit too much? I feel a lot better knowing what it is and how I defend myself!

Go and see the SU advisor again.

If the site is non existent then surely one of your points is you have never heard of nor have every visited the site.

When you visit the site get them and your tutor to verify the url.
Original post by AZ1995
They did say it was an academic irregularity.. to what extent I'm not too sure.. as it's my first offence do you know what the worst case scenario is as I don't wanna be dissapointed on the day of the panel meeting

Have you not asked? You said plaigurism but in what sense?

If you did, then surely it would be flagged on Turnitin.

Gosh, for someone who is being investigated, you don't ask a lot of questions to the right people!

You should of asked all these questions to your SU!
Reply 28
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Have you not asked? You said plaigurism but in what sense?

If you did, then surely it would be flagged on Turnitin.

Gosh, for someone who is being investigated, you don't ask a lot of questions to the right people!

You should of asked all these questions to your SU!

The su were not that helpful, they told me to keep emailing my tutor.. I don't know what more I could ask now as I have a meeting.. I have the evidence from the "plagiarism" so all is under control until then..
Original post by AZ1995
The su were not that helpful, they told me to keep emailing my tutor.. I don't know what more I could ask now as I have a meeting.. I have the evidence from the "plagiarism" so all is under control until then..

Yes I tried to delete my comment.

I think it's ridiculous!
Reply 30
Original post by AZ1995

It's probably a mistype in their documents. Check the URL with the sender - don't wait for the hearing. Look for websites with similar names but different endings e.g. .com instead of .co.uk etc. There's no way you'd be picked up for copying from a completely non-existent site.

I will get my notes together from this module and some btec health and social care notes I got this information from

If the Btec notes were written by someone else, then they should have been cited in references. If the wording is exactly the same and is unreferenced, then that's plagiarism.

some are just common sense that you've been taught

There's no such thing at uni level. Every fact you state must come from a correctly-referenced and credible academic source.

"GCSEs and alevels in schools are the main measure of educational attainment"

You are presenting this as a fact. A source must be cited.
(edited 6 years ago)
Here's what I would do:

1). Print off the entire document that they've sent you saying it's 69% match. Separate the 5 pages you have to submit and your bibliography/reference list from the rest. In the meeting, get confirmation that these have been disregarded.

2). Do what I've suggested previously with the assignment except for the three paragraphs under investigation. This should help you to show that apart from the three paragraphs, you haven't plagiarised.

3) Photocopy your BTEC notes containing anything in the three paragraphs under investigation.

4). Copy the three paragraphs into a new word document. Have each sentence starting on a new line with a single blank line between them.

5). On the BTEC notes, highlight where the first sentence of the paragraphs under investigation is, put a 1 beside it. Repeat for the rest of the notes. Once finished photocopy it, take copy to meeting with a print out of the three paragraphs.

6). Using uni computer, try to find the website, use Google and put the main words in. See what you get. It's possible that the site you're being accused of plagiarising is only accessible to those in education. If it still says unavailable, do a print screen and take it to the meeting.

It's possible that your BTEC lecturer has got info from a site that's only accessible to teachers & lecturers. Ask in the meeting if this is the case. If you've used info from BTEC notes in previous assignments, ask what uni policy is on students using knowledge gained prior to uni in uni assignments. The investigation has made you think you're being penalised for your BTEC lecturer not giving you the references for where they got info from. If you still have it, give the chair of the meeting your lecturers email address.

Please post back and let us know how meeting goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending