Swollen cartilage piercing Watch

This discussion is closed.
AdrienHall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve had my cartilage piercing for over a year & it started to get infected this week. My earring looks like it’s in my ear because of how much my ear has swelled. Any advice?? Help!
Last edited by AdrienHall; 1 year ago
Meilamoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If the saline solution makes it worse what’s a close second
ChelseyChels27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey 👋🏼 I wanted to know if that was your piercing and if it ever healed or if it actually infected ?

My ear ear looks very similar to this and it’s the 5th day since piercing.

Hope you can help !

Joelle96
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Quick taking it out. It is supposed to stay in for 12 months. It is probably swollen because you keep messing with it. Always wash your hands before cleaning it. Clean it at least twice a day. Rotate it ONLY while cleaning it. Keep hair, clothes, hats away from it. I repeat.........DO NOT touch it unless you are cleaning it.
katherine132
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I had my cartilage piercing done 5 days ago. The other day I knocked it, causing the same trauma as removing and putting in a piercing.The day after it was very swollen, so that my jewellery had become considerably tighter. That day I cleaned it more regularly, and used an ice pack throughout the day. I also added tea tree oil in case of infection. By the next day the swelling had reduced a lot.
RogueJonRon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by myblueheaven339)
No piercer worth their salt would use a gun for a cartilage piercing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pistol whip
trash panda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
It's been a week since it's piercing and I took it out the other day to clean it and it took a lot of pressure to insert back.

It's been 2 days it's really heavy and swollen my entire ear. It's not infected but I have a lot of discomfort. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy Crap. Do not take out a cartilage piercing for at least six months after getting it done. Just give it a good saltwater soak every day and make sure you clean the area well. If you have long hair maybe put a bandaid or something to protect it from your hair during the day. Any oil or dirt that’s in your hair can transfer into the piercing and it can get snagged which will make it even more irritated. Good luck!
trash panda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Meilamoo)
If the saline solution makes it worse what’s a close second
A cup of hot water mixed with a teaspoon of salt.
stachia.leutogi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
It's been a week since it's piercing and I took it out the other day to clean it and it took a lot of pressure to insert back.

It's been 2 days it's really heavy and swollen my entire ear. It's not infected but I have a lot of discomfort. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel sorry about you!
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SonoLuma)
Keep it clean (hot water and salt, but not too much salt.) Don't take the piercing out for much longer than a minute or two. When putting the newly sterilised piercing in, run it under the cold tap for a few seconds so it doesnt heat up the surrounding skin. I didnt take mine out for a month after piercing, just use cotton buds with warm salty water. Try not to take it out for at least another few weeks.

Cartilage takes longer to heal for first (mine took over a month and a half) but after it is healed you can leave the piercing out more and more.

If you hold one end of the piercing in one hand while its in your skin, if you turn it around (if you are able) and you can feel it "sticking" as you turn, it means it's starting to get infected. I wouldnt take it out in any case until the first heal, but if infection is starting, DEFINITELY dont take it out as it can cause many problems such as drifting and inability to get it back in (as well as full blown infection setting in, if it does set in, youll need to see a doctor, who will probs tell you to take it out for good)

Hope this helps.
Listen to this person... he/she knows his stuff.
Esterk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Biggest thing to help me heal my problem cartilage piercing was not sleeping on it. I didn't take it out however - I reckon that's the cause of the infection. From now on, I'd say just sleep on the other side, clean twice a day with warm boiled salt water (a pinch is all you need) and cotton buds (especially after showering as shampoo and conditioner don't help), and soak in the same sort of solution when you feel like it for about 5 mins (couple times a week maybe). And don't take it out until it's pain and gunk free.
Esterk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by trash panda)
A cup of hot water mixed with a teaspoon of salt.
No need for a full teaspoon! A pinch in enough boiled water to dissolve it works fine.
stachia.leutogi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z_o_e)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel sorry about you!

false
oh really?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (153)
19.15%
Labour (407)
50.94%
Liberal Democrats (109)
13.64%
Green Party (42)
5.26%
Brexit Party (11)
1.38%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.5%
SNP (14)
1.75%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.75%
SDLP (1)
0.13%
Ulster Unionist (4)