Corbyn voted against every single antiterror legislation Watch

hpcp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If he is in power, would he actually write any anti terror legislation if needed?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40111329

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not a huge fan of Corbyn, but then I am not a huge fan of anti-terror legislation. I don't want private companies scooping up all my data on behalf of the government. I don't want the government to be allowed to tap my phone without any form of judicial process.

You could say that Corbyn voted against anti-terror legislation, but such legislation is often anti-privacy, pro-state-intervention legislation.

"I have nothing to hide," I head some say. In that case, you would have no problem with someone following you around and listening to all your private conversations?
hpcp
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Not a huge fan of Corbyn, but then I am not a huge fan of anti-terror legislation. I don't want private companies scooping up all my data on behalf of the government. I don't want the government to be allowed to tap my phone without any form of judicial process.

You could say that Corbyn voted against anti-terror legislation, but such legislation is often anti-privacy, pro-state-intervention legislation.

"I have nothing to hide," I head some say. In that case, you would have no problem with someone following you around and listening to all your private conversations?
It's more than just those sorts of legislations
It's more a worry I guess that he seems against the idea of legislation in general towards it
It's more in the situation if it was necessary to introduce legislation, would he do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hpcp)
It's more in the situation if it was necessary to introduce legislation, would he do it?

]
Probably. He has always had the luxury of avoiding difficult decisions. He has never been in government and until the last few weeks has never looked like he would be in government.

You can see how the office grows on the man by Trump's behaviour as President. There is still an enormous amount to complain about, but he has not been half as flakey on national security as he was threatening to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hpcp)
It's more than just those sorts of legislations
It's more a worry I guess that he seems against the idea of legislation in general towards it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps. But degrading people's privacy won't necessarily reduce terrorism or the rate at which it is detected. It is however easy to do and implement. If you want to be seen to be doing something about it, legislation is the answer.

However, a more deep routed solution would be to adjust the UKs foreign policy. We have a gung-ho attitude towards other countries. We are hostile. I have heard reports that some of the terrorists in the London attack used to have conversations about Syria and Afghanistan. It is reasonable to assume that there is resentment towards the UK by some as a result of the way we are conducting ourselves overseas.

And then there is the nuclear question. What does it say to terrorists that a PM is ready to press the button. Our PM pressing the red button is a terrorist's wet dream. That would be the ultimate goal for a terrorist. What better way of destroying a nation than having it destroy itself because the tough leader pressed the red button?
PotOfBeans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't take everything at face value especially articles that come out of the media since they have some sort of agenda at mind. Use a bit of common sense, do you really think Corbyn voted against these policies because he wants to purposely hurt Britain because he hates Britain and patriotism for some vague reason, maybe voting against the policies is bad for the country but these articles are trying to make it look like he's got the intention of purposely harming Britain when in fact his intention was to stop the government from taking away the privacy rights of it's people.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good. Too often "anti terror" is used as an excuse to crack down on civil liberties. As we're seeing today with the snooper's charter and attemps to censor the internet and ban encryption.
CattiestCat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Summed up perfectly. He voted against them because it's likely Tory based control legislation that goes against what people will want. Sure, let it all pass, but you'll be in for a big wakeup when suddenly you try and access things on the internet and find that they're blocked off or restricted.

(Original post by PotOfBeans)
Don't take everything at face value especially articles that come out of the media since they have some sort of agenda at mind. Use a bit of common sense, do you really think Corbyn voted against these policies because he wants to purposely hurt Britain because he hates Britain and patriotism for some vague reason, maybe voting against the policies is bad for the country but these articles are trying to make it look like he's got the intention of purposely harming Britain when in fact his intention was to stop the government from taking away the privacy rights of it's people.
hpcp
Rep:
?
(Original post by PotOfBeans)
Sure would you say that then none of those anti terror legislations were needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
PotOfBeans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hpcp)
Sure would you say that then none of those anti terror legislations were needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Despite the fact that Corbyn voted against these policies I'm about to name,
Terrorism Act 2000
Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
Counter-terrorism Act 2008
and the Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act

They were all passed, do you think they're doing a good enough job currently? Plus these pieces of legislation are typically very broad and targets a larger group of people than politicians claim to target.

My plan to fight terrorism would probably be to engage with the Muslim community to fight terrorism, to report anyone who has radical tendencies without the fear of making all Muslims look like terrorists and also initiate anti terrorist propaganda aimed at suspected radicals.

You can't talk about getting rid of terrorism without mentioning foreign policy as this is where terrorism all started, I would immediately stop funding rebel groups and remove all predator drones from Syria and denounce Saudi Arabia for funding terrorist/rebel groups and spreading the Wahhabi ideology.

I would personally get a bit authoritarian and be tough on those who openly spread terrorism but the legislation I would pass would make it so the targeted groups are very specific and make it so that the legislation has a expiry date so politicians can't use it wrongly in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads